The Best Live Albums thread

Live After Death, Decade of Aggression, Exodus - Another Lesson in Violence, Suffocation - The close of a chapter.

Live dvd's??? Sepultura -Under Siege live in Barcelona is the greatest. Followed by Metallica - Seattle gig (from Live Shit). So much energy and passion from both bands at their respective peaks.

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Thread over!

Just kidding, but for me it IS THE LIVE ALBUM!

Others I really enjoy in other mostly in genres outside metal as live metal recordings tend to fall a little flat for me compared to studio discs. A common thread to some of my live choices is that I saw the band on that tour so it's a bit of a documenting a memory for me. Live After Death is one such concert - The World Slavery tour January 14th, 1985 at the Hartford Civic Center.

The Allman Brothers "At Fillmore East" - I'm really not a big Allman fan, but that album is a pleasure to listen to. Needless to say I did not see this tour.

Peter Gabriel "Plays Live" - even though it is widely known that Peter did a whole bunch of studio wizardry on this live disc, it's still one of my favorites. Did not see this tour either.

Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live" - no necessarily the CD, but the DVD is one of my favorites (as you can tell I'm a big Gabriel fan). Did indeed see him on the Secret Wolrd tour.

Pink Floyd "Pulse" - both the CD set and DVD are required as a Pink Floyd fan. Saw this tour - The Division Bell tour.

Iced Earth "Alive in Athens" - for my money if you own only one Iced Earth release, this is the one to own - representative of all the best of their work with unfortunately most seemed to be prior to it's release (comment on later Iced Earth I guess).

Queensryche "Operation LIVECrime" - another tour memory. Queensryche's greatest moment - live!

Rush "Snakes & Arrows Live" - yet another tour memory, but then again I could say the same about almost all their live albums since my first Rush concert on December 11th, 1982 on the Signals Tour (my older brother took me).

I'll figure out a few more later.

As said above i also enjoy DVDs more.

Gojira - Live at Vieilles Charrues Festival 2010 (not very official)

Genesis - When In Rome

Genesis - Three sides live (not very live)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle 89 live shit - metallica
Under siege barcalona - sepultura
Oidivnikcufesin - anthrax
Maiden england - iron maiden
Elegies - machine head
Disasterpieces - slipknot

I'll add - Judas Priest - Unleased in the East. Put that in your car, and try drive slower than 100 mph!

Also - Iron Maden - Live at Donington

Also, I went to a friends house and watched Rush play in front of a record breaking crowd in South America, but i don't remember the country.

Devon VonMonster said:
I'll add - Judas Priest - Unleased in the East. Put that in your car, and try drive slower than 100 mph!

Also - Iron Maden - Live at Donington

Also, I went to a friends house and watched Rush play in front of a record breaking crowd in South America, but i don't remember the country.

That's Rush in Rio, which is (obviously) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Also an excellent one, rush is great all the time.

Does Jimmy Hedrix have a ive album,(just his show) or just compliations with his and other bands at festivals and the like?

Does Jimmy Hedrix have a ive album,(just his show) or just compliations with his and other bands at festivals and the like?

While several of his "live" discs come from festivals, he has several live shows.

"Live at Woodstock" - a whole album, yes from the Woodstock festival, but the album is just Hendrix.

"Jimi Plays Monterey" - another festival show, but still just an album of his music.

"Live At Berkeley" - one of my favorite live performances that Hendrix did.

"Live at the Fillmore East" - New Years eve show(s) with his non-Experience band known as "Band of Gypsys" with Billy Cox on bass and drummer Buddy Miles.

There are quite a few other live recordings, most of which are non-official bootlegs made into releases of one sort or another, but most suffer from poor sound. Most Hendrix collectors favor the Bootleg releases simply because it's the only way to get his complete shows. Most of the albums above are edited with songs missing from the setlists.