The Live Albums Thread

Right - what I'm getting at is that because the live energy tends not to work for me in recorded form, hearing these random people screaming in the background ends up being analogous to a laugh track in that it just annoys me and pollutes the listening experience.

Ah fair enough. Luckily I feel like noticeable crowds are pretty rare on live albums unless the band itself isn't too heavy. Usually it's just between songs you hear them, especially metal when you always get some drunk dude going "AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!" between songs lmfao. There's a Norwegian grind band called Tottal Tømming and at times it sounds like the room is full of tards on their live album.

Personally what I really like is when you get the crowd engaging in singalongs and chants or hand-clapping at the command of the singer, but that's pretty rare.

Ah fair enough. Luckily I feel like noticeable crowds are pretty rare on live albums unless the band itself isn't too heavy. Usually it's just between songs you hear them, especially metal when you always get some drunk dude going "AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!" between songs lmfao. There's a Norwegian grind band called Tottal Tømming and at times it sounds like the room is full of tards on their live album.

This reminds me of Live Undead, and although it's kind of a negative comment - I think Live Undead is kind of awesome. Mainly 'cause it's like, maybe, a hoax live album. Plenty of stupid drunk dudes audible, regardless.

Speaking of Slayer, Decade of Aggression deserves a mention in this thread. Much better than Live Undead, and released before they had a single (even questionably) band album. I know it's in chunks of different dates but great sound throughout and a great set of songs! Kind of like their live greatest hits I guess!!

Last edited:
a2986853813_10.jpg

Recently started jamming to Ahab's new alive album. It's devastatingly heavy and perfect for the miserable dogshit weather over here right now. I am definitely not built for cold weather lmfao.

Had the tape blasting on and off in my (recently repaired) deck most of the day while I was faffing around the house. Definitely not a live album to pass up if you like that whole funeral/deathdoom/sludge/drone thing. Must be amazing to see in person.

Here's a track with an official video:

This will be awesome!

Watching-From-A-Distance-Live-At-Roadburn-Warning.jpg
Warning announce new live album ‘Watching From A Distance – Live At Roadburn’.
WARNING have announced a new live album!

Titled Watching From A Distance – Live At Roadburn, the upcoming album from the revered doom metal band captures their performance at the 2017 edition of Roadburn Festival in The Netherlands, marking the return of the band after an extended hiatus.

Recorded by Marcel van de Vondervoort and his team on site, the audio was mixed by Chris Fullard [IDLES, ULVER], and mastered by Michael Lawrence at Bladud Flies! [ULVER, CURRENT 93]. The double gatefold vinyl features exclusively commissioned artwork by Finnish artist Tekla Vály, who has created photographic interpretations of the paintings by Matt Mahurin which formed studio album’s original sleeve artwork.

Anyways last night I was jamming Magnum's 1980 live album Marauder.

Love how vibrant the synths are and how audible and pulsing the bass is. Fantastic live sound.

Been jamming this live Mrs. Piss EP lately. I actually prefer it to their studio album.

Also this from Panopticon. Damn good live album cleaned up from a bootleg video at a show in Belgium inside a cathedral, he even covers "Pancho and Lefty" by Townes Van Zandt. Amazing sound!

Edit: damn almost forgot to shill for this recently released old Fudge Tunnel live material.

Ridiculously good, obviously.

Last edited:
a3971440886_10.jpg

This is so fucking HEAVY. I'd love to see these dudes live someday.

@RadicalThrasher as I was buying Molder on Bandcamp I stumbled on this. Thought you might be interested.

Ha awesome! Yeah reggie's is one of the hot spots for metal shows. I don't really go to shows anymore but I'm going to try to catch these guys, seems like they play a lot. And just sampling that live album you posted they sound pretty fucking good live!

Edit: also pretty sure half those guys from cryptum are in molder now

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
This is pretty cool.

Trouble's Live in Stockholm 2005 DVD is getting an audio release. For the die-hards only I suppose but I sold my DVD ages ago, so this will be cool for the car.

Reactions: SonOfNun and rms
paradiselost-livedeath-cover.jpg
Recorded live at the Peaceville Mischievous Night Party, Saturday 4th November 1989 at Bradford Queens Hall.
Another old live DVD is getting a nicely touched up audio release.

I've never watched this one myself, but it sounds fantastic.

Ha awesome! Yeah reggie's is one of the hot spots for metal shows. I don't really go to shows anymore but I'm going to try to catch these guys, seems like they play a lot. And just sampling that live album you posted they sound pretty fucking good live!

Edit: also pretty sure half those guys from cryptum are in molder now

you a Chicago person too? I’m pretty new to the area but Reggie’s is fun. And molder put on a good show when I saw them there. Going to try and catch them again with exhumed next week