The best "newer" singers (excluding the legends)

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
These are the best "newer" singers for me (in no order). By newer, I mean excluding the legends like Dio, Halford, Dickinson....

As you'll see, I'm no big fan of high-pitchers...I do like some screamers though...

Russell Allen (SYMPHONY X)
Jorn Lande (JORN, ex-Masterplan)
Apollo Papathanasiou (FIREWIND, EVIL MASQUERADE)
Peikka Heino (LEVERAGE, BROTHER FIRETRIBE)
Nils Patrick Johansson (ASTRAL DOORS, LIONS SHARE)
Tobias Sammet (EDGUY, AVANTASIA)
Johnny Gioeli (AXEL RUDI PELL)
Jeff Scott Soto
Mike Andersson (CLOUDSCAPE, PLANET ALLIANCE)
Rob Rock (IMPELLITTERI, solo)
Ralf Scheepers (PRIMAL FEAR, ex-Gamma Ray, ex-Tyran' Pace)
Zak Stevens (CIRCLE II CIRCLE, ex-Savatage)
Bjorn Hannson (RIDE THE SKY, TEARS OF ANGER)
Doogie White (CORNERSTONE)
Jonny Lindqvist (NOCTURNAL RITES)
Andrew "Mac" McDermott (ex-THRESHOLD)
Oliver Hartmann (ex-At Vance)
David Readman (PINK CREAM 69, VOODOO CIRCLE)
Chitral "Chity" Somapala (CIVILIZATION ONE, RED CIRCUIT, FARO, ex-Firewind, ex-Court Jester)
Mike DiMeo (ex-Riot, ex-Masterplan)
Ripper Owens (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-Iced Earth, ex-Judas Priest)
Matt Barlow (ICED EARTH, PYRAMAZE)
Tom Englund (EVERGREY)
Urban Breed (BLOODBOUND, ex-Tad Morose)
Andy B. Frank (BRAINSTORM, SYMPHORCE)
D.C. Cooper (SILENT FORCE)
Henning Basse (METALIUM)
Andy Engberg (ex-Lions Share)

Jorn Lande (JORN, ex-Masterplan)
Apollo Papathanasiou (FIREWIND, EVIL MASQUERADE)
Nils Patrick Johansson (ASTRAL DOORS, LIONS SHARE)
Tobias Sammet (EDGUY, AVANTASIA)
Jeff Scott Soto
Ralf Scheepers (PRIMAL FEAR, ex-Gamma Ray, ex-Tyran' Pace)
Doogie White (CORNERSTONE)
David Readman (PINK CREAM 69, VOODOO CIRCLE)
Mike DiMeo (ex-Riot, ex-Masterplan)
Ripper Owens (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-Iced Earth, ex-Judas Priest)
D.C. Cooper (SILENT FORCE)

I agree with most of that list, of course Jeff Scott Soto I only know his YM work, David Readman only by one PC69 album (but he got a good voice), Ralf Scheepers is almost a Halford clone (more than what people accuse Tim Owens to be) but I enjoy the last two PF albums and Im looking forward for the new one, Tobias Sammet only for Avantasia.

I have to add:

Mats Leven (Abstrakt Algebra, Krux, Malmsteen, Fatal Force)
Robert Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus, Last Chapter, Candlemass, Concept Of God)
Liv (Sister Sin)
Marta Gabriel (Crystal Viper)
Janne ''JB'' Christoffersson (Grand Magus)
Andy Tillison (The Tangent)
Hasse Fröberg/Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings)
Thomas Rettke (Heavens Gate)
Joakim Broden (Sabaton)
Niklas Stålvind (Wolf)

I have to check more back home :D

I think the most important have been mentioned. I'll add the new vocalists of legends Diamond Head and Tokio Blade, they both did awesome jobs at KIT. And the frontmen of Kamelot, Pagan's Mind, Beyond Twilight (also on the Outworld debut), Mehida, Krux, Sieges Even,... Don't ask me names, I'm horrible at remembering names.

I agree with most of that list, of course Jeff Scott Soto I only know his YM work, David Readman only by one PC69 album (but he got a good voice), Ralf Scheepers is almost a Halford clone (more than what people accuse Tim Owens to be) but I enjoy the last two PF albums and Im looking forward for the new one, Tobias Sammet only for Avantasia.

I have to add:

Mats Leven (Abstrakt Algebra, Krux, Malmsteen, Fatal Force)
Robert Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus, Last Chapter, Candlemass, Concept Of God)
Liv (Sister Sin)
Marta Gabriel (Crystal Viper)
Janne ''JB'' Christoffersson (Grand Magus)
Andy Tillison (The Tangent)
Hasse Fröberg/Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings)
Thomas Rettke (Heavens Gate)
Joakim Broden (Sabaton)
Niklas Stålvind (Wolf)

I have to check more back home :D

I like Rettke, JB and Mats Leven. I like Lowe's voice, but was never too high on Solitude Aeturnus or the latest Candlemass. The Wolf dude is good, but a bit too high-pitched for me to really enjoy him. I like Wolf anyway, especially the last 2 albums.

I should have added John West (solo, ex-Royal HUnt, FEINSTEIN) on my list. Great singer IMO.

Hey Carnut we forgot Jo De Boeck (Beyond The Labyrinth), truly a great singer.

Also:

Folco Orlandini (Mesmerize)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater, Mullmuzler, Ayreon. I know many hate him, but listen to his works outside DT and the guy really can sing.)
Eric "Kalli" Kaldschmidt (Abandoned)
Alex Stahl (Viron)
Göran Edman (Malmsteen, Time Requiem, Karmakanic)

"Newer" singers? :zombie: Some of them aren´t as famous as Bruce Dickinson but they have a long term career similar to Bruce.

Anyway, I´d say:
- Anneke Von Giesbergen :worship: (ex The Gathering, Agua de Annike)
- Marta Gabriel (Crystal Viper) Saw them last friday and she´s amamxing, better than on album.
- Toby Hitchcook (Pride Of Lions) Not so much metal, neither hard rock voice but impressive.
- The guy from The Devil´s Blood.
- Morris Ingram ex-Solstice. One the most beautiful voices I´ve ever heard.
- Tom Phillips (WHile Heaven Wept) No words to describe him.

I don´t think Robert Lowe, Matt Barlow or Thomas Rettke are "newer" but I agree with the ones the mentioned them.

John West, excellent. IMO the best Royal Hunt singer.

Tony Mills (Siam/TNT)
Tom Calandra (Z-Lot-Z)
Lance King (Gemini, Balance of Power, Pyramaze, Avian)
Carl Albert (VR / Ruffians)
Niklas Isfeldt (Dream Evil)
____? (Circus Maximus)
Jeff Klingbeil (Betrayer)

And although I'm not a fan of death metal:
Stu Block (Into Eternity - astounding live singer from growls to Geoff Tate highs in microseconds).

Jorn Lande is the king at the moment.

I agree, but it's time for him now to stay with one band and make it the "superband" we are waiting for since a long time now...I really would like a new worldclass metal band to emerge !! Will there ever be a new Purple, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden .... ?? On top of all huge metal festivals are old(er) bands, I would like to see a new superband being born, and Jorn could very well be the frontman of that !!:headbang:

Hey Carnut we forgot Jo De Boeck (Beyond The Labyrinth), truly a great singer.

Well, if you like his voice-tone he's a very good singer, becouse you can recognize him immediatly out of 1000's.I think he holds back a bit now and than, live he often takes more risk and than his high notes are much cleaner! I wouldn't call him world class, but still, the finest we can offer from Belgium :p
Do you have the new CD already ??

Do you have the new CD already ??

Yes, the digipack came a little bent but is autographed by Geert :headbang:, and they put me on the top friends in MySpace (a bit below you ;) )

All of my favorites are already listed. Although Wyv forgot to give Mats Levin credit for his 3 year stint in Therion.

I'm allergic to Therion, there are lines I don't cross :lol:

Jorn Lande is the king at the moment.

iagree.gif

I don't know how modern people will consider the but:

Andre Matos (Viper, Angra, Shaman, solo)
Dirk Thurisch (Angel Dust, Mercury Tide)
Sylvain Mollard (Malediction)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian, I know people hate him, but I love his harmonies)
Mathias Blad (Falconer)
Christian Bay (Freedom Call)
Didier Delsaux (Manigance)
Kornél Oross (ex-Obstruction)
Michael Grant (Onward, Crescent Shield, Cypher Seer)
Tim Aymar (Control Denied, Pharaoh)
Ville Laihiala (Sentenced, Poisonblack)
Michela D'Orlando (Power Symphony)
Rick Mythiasin (Steel Prophet, Redemption, Taraxacum)
Thomas Vikström (Stormwind), he also was in Candlemass but I never listened to him there

Forgot to mention Paul Adrian Villarreal (yeah, had to look that up !) from Sun Caged. Very underrated band and singer !!

I agree, but it's time for him now to stay with one band and make it the "superband" we are waiting for since a long time now...I really would like a new worldclass metal band to emerge !! Will there ever be a new Purple, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden .... ?? On top of all huge metal festivals are old(er) bands, I would like to see a new superband being born, and Jorn could very well be the frontman of that !!:headbang:

That's right, his solo stuff just doesn't cut it IMO. Kinda like Dio, he needs that Blackmore/Iommi behind him (no, you pervert) to go from good to awesome. ARK had every chance to become the prog metal band after Burn The Sun but sadly that went nowhere (although as far as I understand, Jorn isn't to blame).

Russell Allen is very much appreciated by me as well. Contrary to Jorn, I'd love to see more solo albums by Russell, Atomic Soul is awesome!

Wyvern needs to pick up Chapter VI by Candlemass ASAP!

There is Sir Russell Allen, and then, there is everyone else....

:headbang: I have said that myself. But Russell has been at it with SX since 96. Many mentioned are perhaps second gen metal vocalists, highly influenced by the origionals. Roy Khan (Kamelot) is top shelf but he too has been at it over 10 years.

So none of my newer choices are actually new but my preferences for truely special voices and dynamics (regardless of the era) would be

Tate
Allen
Khan
Stevens
McDermott
Barlow
Alder
Oliva
Mustaine (just for being... ? himself ? )
LaBrie can be good but his limitations seem too apparent... too often

ARK had every chance to become the prog metal band after Burn The Sun but sadly that went nowhere (although as far as I understand, Jorn isn't to blame).

Wyvern needs to pick up Chapter VI by Candlemass ASAP!

Ark was the freshest thing in prog I've heard when they came out, not only my introduction to Jorn but a great concept on the move, sadly it didn't survive :erk:

So "Chapter VI" is that good?, except for Robert Lowe I have distanced myself from non-Messiah albums. The only reason I do have "Dactylis Glomerata" is because I bought the special edition that have as bonus disc the second Abstrakt Algebra recordings, so basically I listen to that and not to the Candlemass album :lol:

So "Chapter VI" is that good?, except for Robert Lowe I have distanced myself from non-Messiah albums. The only reason I do have "Dactylis Glomerata" is because I bought the special edition that have as bonus disc the second Abstrakt Algebra recordings, so basically I listen to that and not to the Candlemass album :lol:

It's a good album for sure. It's less doomy than the earlier ones but that's fine with me and Vikström's sharp vocals are great and frankly a lot more tolerable than Messiah's vibrato overkill on Tales of Creation. Where The Runes Still Speak is one of Candlemass' absolute best tracks, 8min epic with a great heartwrenching performance by Vikström.
It was re-released along the other Candlemass albums a couple of years ago, there are covers of some Swedish "classics" as bonus tracks but they are really not a mandatory listen. :lol:

It's a good album for sure. It's less doomy than the earlier ones but that's fine with me and Vikström's sharp vocals are great and frankly a lot more tolerable than Messiah's vibrato overkill on Tales of Creation. Where The Runes Still Speak is one of Candlemass' absolute best tracks, 8min epic with a great heartwrenching performance by Vikström.
It was re-released along the other Candlemass albums a couple of years ago, there are covers of some Swedish "classics" as bonus tracks but they are really not a mandatory listen. :lol:

Thanks for the info, usually I have found that your taste is similar to mine, so I'll give it a shot :kickass: