The Black Waltz

I'm loving this album. Its to early to say if it will become my favourite Kalmah album, but I'm sure as hell not dissappointed. This is the direction I wanted Kalmah to take, and I think its great. Props to the new keyboard player, as the shoes he had to fill weren't small. I think Antti's new solos are great with The Black Waltz, Man of the King, Defeat and With Terminal Intensity as standout tracks for me.

Drums are frickin' awesome as I new they would be, and the new direction that Pekka has taken with the vocals is fantastic.

All in all, an excellent Kalmah record. Now I just hope I will get to see you on one of the big festivals this year!

Kalmah said:
Played live all songs will have same vocal style as on the albums, except if Pekka wants to have some fun and play with vocal styles. At Teatria and Lutakko he performed deep vocals with new songs and high growls with old songs just like on the albums.

that's excellent...and i hope he wants to have fun because the new growl might fit in some small parts of old songs. He knows better i guess.

Thanx for the quick reply anyway !

well, i just get the album and went back to the shop to get my money back.
to be honest, its not _that_ bad, but i didnt expected this come from kalmah, i guess i just need to learn to love this album -and i dont want to do that, the first time i heard kalmah i just loved it. but this album, well, i dont like it, it sounds like a typical viking metal for me through the older albums are the best music for me.

first of all ..
the intro sounded like "dead skin mask"..
it's a mockery album...slaytanic and mega style...
specially "man of the king"..
we'd like to add..it's another piece of swedish luxury..
melo ..LOL
to "Gjallarhorn"..
"bowie - kalmah - spinal tap" u're a genius man..
hail to all swedish ppl..
a kalmah fan..

does anybody know if the cd is gonna be released in the US? i checked Amazon and they said it was gonna be released on March 2nd but it also said it was an import...i hope it will officially be released here

Kirurgisti said:
Yeah, I don't know why you're so offended either. Antti made those acoustics on that EToS song and on this album, and I haven't heard any other song that he plays acoustics in, so why shouldn't I bitch about it? You think that every fucking album that has melodic riffing and blast beats and growling is a fucking masterpiece? If I may say, THAT's propably the stupidest thing I've ever red. Well, some people are easily satisfied, I'm not, so if you can't accept my opinion about this album then you really should shut the fuck up.

As a matter of fact I DO think this album is a 'fucking masterpiece'. ETOS is a different band, and I don't see Kalmah incorporating beautiful clean vocal passages anytime soon. I know everyone has their own opinion and I know some people aren't satisfied easily, but saying that after 2 spins through you hate the album and it is "easily their worst" sounds fucking childish. I don't want to get into a whole "change for the better" argument but some bands need to change. Swampsong had the SAME style as Swamplord and They Will Return. You could pick out any track on any Kalmah CD, throw it onto a compilation and it would sound like the same CD to someone unfamiliar with the band. Which is not a bad thing considering all of Kalmah's material kicks ass. Honestly, I don't know how exciting a fourth album in that vein would have been. Here, Kalmah puts out a killer record with just as many leads, melodies, etc, makes it even heavier, and you're bitching like it's Reroute to Remain. You gotta expect someone on the Official Kalmah Forum to get pissed off about an anti-Black Waltz rant, fanboy or not. I'm just giving you my opinion.

The Black Waltz is fucking amazing, just like I knew it would be. From the first song I heard I knew it was going to kick ass. Kalmah just seems to get better and better with each album. I'll admit that the solos do seem a little toned down on this latest album, but it's not that big of a deal, the album really shows true progression for the the band as a whole. My two favorite songs off the new album right now are Time Takes Us All and To The Gallows. God damn those 2 songs are badass. For any of you out there who are in doubt about this album, listen to those songs, they are fucking amazing. Long live Kalmah! You guys are amazing, come to the US!

The Don said:
As a matter of fact I DO think this album is a 'fucking masterpiece'. ETOS is a different band, and I don't see Kalmah incorporating beautiful clean vocal passages anytime soon. I know everyone has their own opinion and I know some people aren't satisfied easily, but saying that after 2 spins through you hate the album and it is "easily their worst" sounds fucking childish. I don't want to get into a whole "change for the better" argument but some bands need to change. Swampsong had the SAME style as Swamplord and They Will Return. You could pick out any track on any Kalmah CD, throw it onto a compilation and it would sound like the same CD to someone unfamiliar with the band. Which is not a bad thing considering all of Kalmah's material kicks ass. Honestly, I don't know how exciting a fourth album in that vein would have been. Here, Kalmah puts out a killer record with just as many leads, melodies, etc, makes it even heavier, and you're bitching like it's Reroute to Remain. You gotta expect someone on the Official Kalmah Forum to get pissed off about an anti-Black Waltz rant, fanboy or not. I'm just giving you my opinion.

Well, first of all, did I say somewhere that I hate this album? I just said that I'm disappointed and even the worst Kalmah album is ok. I've listened a few times more and I haven't changed my mind. I can detect a good album when I hear it. It's not a good album if most of the songs sound like fillers after the first listening session. It's like new In Flames: Yes it's got some nice melodies and stuff but it isn't anything special. Come Clarity is one of the worst In Flames cd:s but still it's good. I understand everyone's opinion but I still don't have a urgent need to call somebody stupid just because he doesn't agree with me. Or should I go to CoB forum and bitch about how everyone is fucking moron because they disagree with me about their new album?

I liked Reroute to Remain and this isn't about going commercial or anything at all. Fuck, anyone can put out an album and stuff it full with melodies and "omg we're so fuckin heavy thrashing maniacs" riffs (like In Flames just did) but it doesn't automatically change it better like some people around here like to think. This Marco Sneck guy just sucks at writing songs and riffs. If they continue to do simplistic stuff like in Mindtrust then I'm out. I still like Antti's style, The Groan of Wind has some pretty good melodies. If you think some bands need to change, then that's your opinion, I disargee. I can't just help thinking that every band that "need to change" will change into worse. But, like the guys said in an interview, they didn't have a lot of inspiration for this album...

I think this new album is a familiar Kalmah with a slightly darker atmosphere (and i like that change very, very much...). I'm totally satisfied with it musically, the dark side is the sound for me: that's chaotic. Mainly the drums (especially the snare) are fucked up, and with the guitars there are problems, too. I'm adding right now, i dled it, so i'm speaking about the mp3 version (i couldn't wait, the original cd is ordered yet... :). So i'm hoping, but don't have illusions...

Apart from these things, i fucking enjoy the new album, i listen to it at least twice a day! My biggest dream is a gig in Hungary! :) Could it come to real, guys? :)

now that ive had time to really listen to all the songs and analyze them......GREAT FUCKING CD. definitely different compared to the other cds and in a good way!!!

Don't listen to those who doubt Kalmah. This album fucking slays from beginning to end. Pure slayworthy metal. My favorite album released in recent history, hell, I haven't stopped listening to it. I've probably heard the entire album all the way through 50 times by now and I'm not getting tired or bored of it at all yet. Well fucking done!

edit:: whoever was talking smack on Marco Sneck is a jackass that guy rips it up on the keys. I actually like the keys a lot more on this album than others previously, much more dominant, crisp, and they just fit perfect.

I'm tryin not to cry!! After god damn 3 years, this album is worth waiting for!
Now, we want to see KalmaH live!! It's about time.

P.S: is it me or the intro for With Terminal Intensity sound similar to Heroes to Us?

DressedToKill said:
edit:: whoever was talking smack on Marco Sneck is a jackass that guy rips it up on the keys. I actually like the keys a lot more on this album than others previously, much more dominant, crisp, and they just fit perfect.
Did I say something about the sound of the keyboards and his talents of playing? No, I just said that I think he sucks at writing music. I agree that this album is their best produced one when it comes the sound.

Kalma|-| said:
I'm tryin not to cry!! After god damn 3 years, this album is worth waiting for!
Now, we want to see KalmaH live!! It's about time.

P.S: is it me or the intro for With Terminal Intensity sound similar to Heroes to Us?

Yup it does. Still good though :D

I've been obsessed with Time Takes Us All.
I need to find tabs for some of these songs. I definatly want to try to do a cover of these new songs :) All superb.