The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Yeah I found this weird too. The seller bought this guitar new from japan a long time ago she said. So the newer guitars have the all black hardware?

Also, I'm noticing something odd that I'm not sure is normal (my first trem guitar). If I relax the strings with the whammy bar and release, the strings will be slightly flat. If I stretch the strings with the whammy bar and release, all the strings will be slightly sharp. If I slightly wiggle the whammy bar then everything will be in tune. It's like the trem isn't resetting to neutral entirely. Is this normal?
Little late to the party, but this smells like flattened knife edges, which is the worlds most annoying thing to happen to a floyded guitar. If bridge height has been adjusted without having released the tension on the bridge, the posts will make flat spots on the knife edges of the baseplate. If its not too bad, it'll be an easy fix

perhaps i have been. i followed the link to the ebay guy selling them from this forum
as Arcane already mentioned: provide us the seller link and we will check.

In 2014 user RR480 on this forum made clones by reverse engineering an original JE1K from Rune.
I have on of those clones and it is VERY good. even has a jumper that gives option for seperate on/switch or for push/pull knobs.

Sadly he does not respond anymore because I would surely buy another of his clones even if it is just to have a spare!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the SD Blackout quick connection cable is compatible with passive EMG's? I was thinking about throwing an EMG H4 (left over from my AL-128) on my AL-166 next time I change strings just to try it out.

Little late to the party, but this smells like flattened knife edges, which is the worlds most annoying thing to happen to a floyded guitar. If bridge height has been adjusted without having released the tension on the bridge, the posts will make flat spots on the knife edges of the baseplate. If its not too bad, it'll be an easy fix

Sorry I missed this - yep, exactly as you said. Shop was able to help me out and it's a lot better now.

Hey guys! I've decided that i need to Alexify my rig a bit more. Besides putting together a rack or getting a Marshall again i also want to get my guitar and pedalboard up to spec.

I have a decent '95 ESP M-II Deluxe that currently have a SD Invader in the bridge and a slanted Hotrail at the neck. I want passive EMG's and a preamp instead.

My question is: should i get the ALX+ABQ or should i go for an FH-2+MM-04 (or JE-1000 clone)

Why his actual signature guitars never came with his signature pickup, is beyond me?
Also in Alexis rig, did it make sense for the onboard preamp to goose his wireless beltpack? How'd that even work?

I'm thinking about housing either an ABQ, MM-04 or JE-1000 clone in a pedal enclosure, and then put that in the loop of my NS-2. But im not sure it would work as well as i think. But it would be nice to be able to use it with several guitars, and not have one in every guitar. And to feed it off my power supply. Can anyone give their 2 cents on this?

Currently I have everything for my pedalboard except a wah and then maybe the (guitar)preamp.

For the last few years I've basically run the same rigs as John 5 and Zakk Wylde without even realising it :rofl:.

Also... does anyone have a good source for getting the EMG HZ FH-2? Not one single retailer in continental europe seem to carry them.

Hey guys! I've decided that i need to Alexify my rig a bit more. Besides putting together a rack or getting a Marshall again i also want to get my guitar and pedalboard up to spec.

I have a decent '95 ESP M-II Deluxe that currently have a SD Invader in the bridge and a slanted Hotrail at the neck. I want passive EMG's and a preamp instead.

My question is: should i get the ALX+ABQ or should i go for an FH-2+MM-04 (or JE-1000 clone)

Why his actual signature guitars never came with his signature pickup, is beyond me?
Also in Alexis rig, did it make sense for the onboard preamp to goose his wireless beltpack? How'd that even work?

I'm thinking about housing either an ABQ, MM-04 or JE-1000 clone in a pedal enclosure, and then put that in the loop of my NS-2. But im not sure it would work as well as i think. But it would be nice to be able to use it with several guitars, and not have one in every guitar. And to feed it off my power supply. Can anyone give their 2 cents on this?

Currently I have everything for my pedalboard except a wah and then maybe the (guitar)preamp.

For the last few years I've basically run the same rigs as John 5 and Zakk Wylde without even realising it :rofl:.

Also... does anyone have a good source for getting the EMG HZ FH-2? Not one single retailer in continental europe seem to carry them.

You can find both MM04 and EMG HZ H2 in Musamaailma.fi (Finland FTW)!

I'll be of little help, but with my EMG HZ (H4 I believe) + EMG Turbocharger preamp Jackson Warrior and Marshall DSL 20, I can get real close to any Alexi tone, old or modern. The preamp is really useful to lower the gain on the amp so that you're not too much on the extreme death metal tone, while still having a great metal attack and sustain.
I guess any overdrive pedal would allow to achieve similar results.
Also, with (active) EMG 81, no preamp, and a bit more gain on the amp, I'm able to get a great FTR-ish vibe, but it's more difficult to emulate modern Bodom sound. It's still more than enough for me anyway ;)
My two cents

Did Alexi only use the MM04 for leads pretty much? I've never really noticed him really switching it on in a live video or anything. Maybe it was just always on?

I'll be of little help, but with my EMG HZ (H4 I believe) + EMG Turbocharger preamp Jackson Warrior and Marshall DSL 20, I can get real close to any Alexi tone, old or modern. The preamp is really useful to lower the gain on the amp so that you're not too much on the extreme death metal tone, while still having a great metal attack and sustain.
I guess any overdrive pedal would allow to achieve similar results.
Also, with (active) EMG 81, no preamp, and a bit more gain on the amp, I'm able to get a great FTR-ish vibe, but it's more difficult to emulate modern Bodom sound. It's still more than enough for me anyway ;)
My two cents

Thanks man. I've owned a LTD M-200 with H4, and they are too hot and mushy for my taste. Imagine my surprise when ESP first launched the Scythe model with that pickup.
I've had several Seymour Duncans, and EMG's. Just not the ALX or H2.
I have plenty of overdrive and distortion boxes, but i find boosting a lower gain Marshall style amp into death metal territory works the best, for me IMO. I've never considered de-boosting, but i bet it can yield interesting results.

I never really wanted this when Alexi was alivem but it will be my homage to him.

I am looking for the wildchild sticker to put on my converted RR24, anyone in possession of this?
Since I have the limited edition yellow one I know it will not an exact replica with the inlays being reversed but still...

Anyone who can help me out?