The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

My home setup is a stereo rack mount Synergy SYN-2 pre-amp and SYN-5050 power amp. For pedals, I use a boss GT-1000 Core, JHS Bonsai, JHS Muffuletta, Boss RC-500, and Boss Dimension C waza. All of that is run into a Boss ES-8 switcher for switching and midi. I used to have a few more pedals, but they got replaced with that GT-1000 core. I only use that for effects, but I've toyed a little with the pre-amp stuff on it.

My travel rig is dead simple these days. Boss GT-1000 core and Revv G20. I used to use a portable synergy setup with the SYN-1, Orange STAMP, and a few pedals, but it was heavy and the DI options weren't great. Plus, that orange stamp was a pain in the ass because it didn't' have a master volume when running pre-amps into the effects loop so I needed a volume pedal between the pre-amp and STAMP. STAMP is noisy too. Revv G20 is overkill, but I like using the headphones out since it can apply custom IR and stuff to the headphone out. Best sounding 'headphone amp' I've ever used.

All in all, the GT-1000 core has been amazing for my needs. Easy to use, sounds great, and very flexible. As mentioned, I was able to get rid of/sell off a handful of pedals since this thing kinda does it all. I kept my JHS pedals for flexibility and well... because I just love them. My 'only major complaint' with the core is that running a stereo signal through it and the ES-8 is confusing and convoluted.

This sounds like a pair of super sweet rigs. Which modules do you use with the Synergy SYN-2?
I've been looking at getting either a GT-1000CORE or HX Stomp just for practicality and general ease. I hardly ever use a lot of fx, so it could be either one. I take it, you play alot of other stuff than Bodom, with the fuzzes and stuff?

This sounds like a pair of super sweet rigs. Which modules do you use with the Synergy SYN-2?
I've been looking at getting either a GT-1000CORE or HX Stomp just for practicality and general ease. I hardly ever use a lot of fx, so it could be either one. I take it, you play alot of other stuff than Bodom, with the fuzzes and stuff?

I mostly use the SLO module. It was the main reason I went synergy... just couldn't justify the 4k+ for an SLO 100. I 'try' to play Bodom a lot, but still working up the chops but I find that SLO really nails some of those Lee Jackson pre-amp tones. I also play a lot of 'older metal' stuff. Ratt, Megadeth, Kreator, 3 Inches of Blood, and some of the easier Joe Satriani stuff (to name a few). These days, I mostly just play around with the looper and 'writing' my own stuff (it's not good but it's fun)

For cleans I really like the TDLX which is like a Fender Twin/Deluxe. Sounds fantastic clean but also really good with a fuzz/OD. I also have the Savage which is fantastic for scooped mid stuff, the 800 and Plexi modules for classic Marshall stuff, and Steve Vai signature module for super saturated leads. Before having the synergy stuff, I was swapping amps every few months, so it's been awesome being able to just 'have it all' without trying to buy/sell giant heads all the time.

I'm not huge on effects either. My 1000 Core really only gets used for a noise gate and some chorus/delay most of the time. It's also really handy to have the compressor and built in drives as options though. I like having all the options for when I'm feeling creative though. For the price, it was a no brainer for me. I tried an HX Stomp and the Zoom G5(?), but I really liked the effects best in the Boss. The delay in particular sounds amazing in the Boss. I think maybe I also hit some sort of chain limits using the stomp? It's been a while.

All in all, if I had to do it all again, I'd probably just 'settle' on the 1000 core with my Revv G20. The rest of my setup certainly sounds/feels better, but the small setup is 'close enough'.

Fractal FM3 for all my amp and effects needs. I plug it into my Matrix GT1000 power amp, into my ENGL 4x12 w/ Vintage 30's at rehearsals.
I have a Morley Bad Horsie 2 for wah, but I don't really ever use it anymore. I like the optical switching it has tho.

The FM3 is way cool like the rest of the Fractal Audio stuff. But the price is a deterrent for me, at my current situation. My rack (e530, gmajor, velocity), 2x12 cab, and pedalboard was maybe 7-800€. So the fractal stuff will probably not be for me, but a more budget friendly modeller might be interesting for me.

The FM3 is way cool like the rest of the Fractal Audio stuff. But the price is a deterrent for me, at my current situation. My rack (e530, gmajor, velocity), 2x12 cab, and pedalboard was maybe 7-800€. So the fractal stuff will probably not be for me, but a more budget friendly modeller might be interesting for me.

I went for it because I'm already familiar with Fractal Audio as I've had an Axe FX II since 2014. I'll be selling the Axe FX to cover the cost of the FM3, as I don't need both tbh.. It's wild how good these modelers have become over the years, and now having them in relatively small boards for easy travel is neat. I use it both for bass and guitar, both live and in-studio, so the cost is worth it for me. It do be pricy tho, I ended up at 1500€ for it after shipping, VAT(higher vat in Norway yay) and custom fees :/

I don't know how much this guy had paid, but maybe it'd been cheaper for him buying an actual RR24 and buy some gold hardware for it. Also this guy moved the volume knob to an odd place, idk why looks really out of place after looking at my two factory-built RRs:rofl:

Nice, did he say EMG-S2 on neck? I have that on my first guitar on bridge position.

Hope he doesn't step on the Alexi way, he looks thin :(

Ps.: He played COB intro as it was tabbed in the early tabs :D

I went for it because I'm already familiar with Fractal Audio as I've had an Axe FX II since 2014. I'll be selling the Axe FX to cover the cost of the FM3, as I don't need both tbh.. It's wild how good these modelers have become over the years, and now having them in relatively small boards for easy travel is neat. I use it both for bass and guitar, both live and in-studio, so the cost is worth it for me. It do be pricy tho, I ended up at 1500€ for it after shipping, VAT(higher vat in Norway yay) and custom fees :/

Damn, that's some dough. The FM3 is "only" 10.000,- here in Denmark.
I have to decide between the GT-1000CORE and the HX Stomp. I know theres already decent Alexi-patches available for the stomp. But if i want to play with alot of shit like dual-amps, or stereo delay/cabs the GT would be better, as the Stomp only has six blocks available vs the GT's 24.
We'll see what happens :)

About wah. I did have a Bad Horsie 2 sometime in 2007-8, and those are great. I like the aesthetic of the Dunlop pedals more.
Don't know if i should get the 95Q or the 535Q mini Auto return. Or get a standard and mod it.
Or get a Morley again.

Nice, did he say EMG-S2 on neck? I have that on my first guitar on bridge position.

Hope he doesn't step on the Alexi way, he looks thin :(

Ps.: He played COB intro as it was tabbed in the early tabs :D
He’s thin because hes super into running I think

Ohh, so not super into Jack Daniels, good thing :)

Or we can say "kids these days... Rockstars are into healthy life...what has this world become...":D

Saw this after a google search, can someone explain this to me lol. And has anyone tried it and does it work good? Have 3 springs in my Ltd alexi right now

Attachments

• A0D9F39B-0F41-4EBD-ADCB-7869DEAAC500.jpeg
    A0D9F39B-0F41-4EBD-ADCB-7869DEAAC500.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 26
Saw this after a google search, can someone explain this to me lol. And has anyone tried it and does it work good? Have 3 springs in my Ltd alexi right now

As an Alexi fanboi, I had my springs in this arrangement for many years. You don't notice much difference from the standard position. Only the fluttering is a little tighter. Just try it out.
esp-alexi-laiho-pink-sawtooth-japan-custom-shop-guitar-sku-number-ealexipinksawtooth.jpg

I've tried a bunch of different spring setups and never noticed a difference between any. I keep all mine parallel to keep them from popping out, but otherwise 'feel' seems more related to number of springs and/or string tension (tuning/gauge) than spring position or direction. At the end of the day, the springs have to provide the same amount of tension/force regardless of all that.

Reactions: MattK and srob7001
As an Alexi fanboi, I had my springs in this arrangement for many years. You don't notice much difference from the standard position. Only the fluttering is a little tighter. Just try it out.
esp-alexi-laiho-pink-sawtooth-japan-custom-shop-guitar-sku-number-ealexipinksawtooth.jpg
They say it makes the pull slower and the push/release faster, but as Arcane said I've too always used this way on my Floyd so I don't have experience with other styles to compare.

Reactions: MattK
My RR24 came with 3 springs, but not like the Alexi set up. I tried the Alexi way and really didn't care for it. The tension just felt off to me. Almost too easy to flutter. Maybe I'll try it again since I am much better setting up guitars now, than I was back when I tried it like Alexi.

I use 4 springs on all my Floyd equipped guitars and find it to be much more stable when palm muting with a heavy hand and because it has more tension, it returns to position faster than with less springs.

Another thing I can't recommend enough to people.....add a big brass block to your Floyd Rose....it makes a HUGE difference in tone and sustain. All my Floyd guitars have one of those in them too. Such a huge improvement for such little money.

Reactions: MattK