The combination of guitar & marimba

revsharp777

Your personal hero
Mar 2, 2005
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Hi Ron,
On SSOTC, how did you get the unison guitar and marimba lines synced up? Are the parts played separately? Or, is the guitar track put through some sort of MIDI interface to trigger the marimba samples? And finally, are you able to pull the guitar/marimba sound off live?

It sounds incredible. Thanks in advance. :headbang:

p.s. The only other guy I've heard using guitar & marimba in unison was Mattias IA Eklundh on a few songs.

Playing along with the marimba on 'Stop N Go' from SSoTC was pretty much the same thing as tracking a harmony, which I do lots of times. The only difference is the marimba is going to be more accurate, so that tightens up whatever I happen to record on guitar. Sometimes I record harmonies while I'm listening to the melody line, but usually I'm playing along to a click. Then when both parts are pulled up, they are perfectly in sync.

Back when I first got my computer, I would write a gtr part and have my computer play it with a midi piano sound. Then I would play along with it and get it as tight as possible. I also did patterns where I'd write a part on piano, and I had to fill in with guitar where the rests were. For instance, the piano would play downbeats and 'ands', while I played the e's and a'. When you put both together, it's straight sixteenth notes. That really helps with timing accuracy, or it sure did for me.

Ron

P.S. I haven't played at any clinics yet, so none of the material from SSoTC has been played live. Would be cool though...

P.S.S. For all of the harmonies that I recorded with WatchTower on "Control And Resistance", live I used a Digitech harmonizer which I programmed the keys and intervals, and it came off great. I remember on 'Mayday In Kiev', during the 40 second gtr solo, I had to hit the 'program up' button 14 times with my foot to pull it off...

ronjarz said:
P.S.S. For all of the harmonies that I recorded with WatchTower on "Control And Resistance", live I used a Digitech harmonizer which I programmed the keys and intervals, and it came off great. I remember on 'Mayday In Kiev', during the 40 second gtr solo, I had to hit the 'program up' button 14 times with my foot to pull it off...

Ah, was that what you didn't want me to see when I visited you guys in Berlin and couldn't watch you record? ;)

ronjarz said:
LOL! Did we kick you out of the studio?? Or never let you in??

Ron

Nah, you just never wanted anyone to watch you recording stuff, if I remember right. You know how big I am: you wouldn't be able to kick me out if you tried :D I only got to see and hear Alan record, unfortunately (Rick was done and Doug too, just about, when I came over from Holland for a few days).

So when can I buy you guys dinner in Amsterdam again? And on a more guitar-related note: how would you (if you know the pick-up) rate the DiMarzio X2N? I'm looking to get one for my trusty old Ibanez to try it out in...

Thank you very much for the info, Ron. So do you "typically" write out the synth runs on computer and then let the MIDI play it back, or are you know using a guitar synth of some sort?

I tend to write most of my compositions out on PowerTab. It is an excellent tool to try out new ideas I initially have difficulty playing and as you mentioned, timing and accuracy.

The best way to develop accuracy in playing is play Ron´s stuff with the help of a music notation software, such as Guitar Pro. It has helped me a lot, i´m finishing my transcription of "At The Stop N go" and believe me, it´s a great tool to practice odd times and all that stuff. Again, thanx Ron for your great contribution to the amazing world of guitar!!

none of the material from SSoTC has been played live. Would be cool though...

I'd like to see Ron and Marty Friedman (or Billy White) play "Battle of the Hands" live.

I've seen lots of live bands do a nice job with dual harmonizing lead guitar, but never have I ever seen anyone pull off breaking up parts between 2 guitarists. Now that would be cool!