The Dance Of Death discussion thread.

The_Prisoner

I died at Paschendale
Sep 30, 2002
The land of many crows...
Visit site
Hey everyone, I had a mixed day yesterday. Crashed my motorbike (fuck i'm sore - spent 2 hours in emergency, my bike is even worse), and got Dance Of Death a couple of days early (i have a friend in music retail who was kind enough to let me have it).

I know most of you don't have it, so I'm not going to give too much away for those of you who are looking forward to listening to it for the first time.

I will say this much though. The artwork is as per the Maiden site - it ain't so bad when you have it in your hands, and the music, ah yes the music...

Obviously I've given it about 3 spins so far, and it's all still very new, so I don't want to try and apply numerical ratings or say it's their best ever etc etc.

It doesn't suffer from the things that let BNW down. Production and mixing are great, second studio album from this lineup and using Caveman again see the chemistry and songwriting pretty much spot on.

It is a progressive and heavy Maiden album, but there are songs that you listen to first time and go WOW, while others are growers. The songs that stand out for me at this stage are: Montsegur, Dance Of Death, New Frontier and Paschendale.

However all the tracks are unique and are all likeable.

I won't say anymore until mid next week when you guys (and me too) have listened to it more. But i will be surprised if anyone is dissapointed with it.

:headbang:

How are ya after the stack mate? ya havent broke any bones or anything have ya??

I had a wanker belt into me bout 6 weeks ago now no major damage to the bike but found out a week after it I fractured my shin. Tell me all the details what happened man?

Almost through my first listen, and I must say, this is easily the best Maiden album with Bruce since SIT, hands down, no contest. So far there has been no filler, and no pointless repetition, and there are only 2 songs left.

I can't comment too much on individual songs as they haven't really sunk in yet, but 'No More Lies', 'Dance Of Death', and 'Paschendale' are the highlights. I am listening to 'Face In The Sand' at the moment and it is quite good also.

The first thing I noticed is how amazing the production sounds. They really nailed it this time, and haven't sounded this good since SSOASS. Think the direction they were heading with BNW, but more polished (kinda like SIT), but more melodic and heavier at the same time. The leads and solos sound amazing.

The cover art doesn't look as bad on the cd either (except for that chick with the fucked up neck). I can't help but wonder why they didn't do the characters on the cover the same as the ones in the band member photos in the book, that would have looked awesome. You will see what I mean when you get the cd.

Album of the year? So far, I would say yes. Easily.

:worship: MAIDEN!! :headbang:

I have it too now :)

My feelings are mixed.

Is the best thing they've done in 15 years? Yes.

Is it the most original? No. Every song, with the possible exception of Journeyman, sounds like a mixture of every album since Seventh Son. And the vocal melody of Journeyman reminds me of somehing else as well, but not Maiden.

So yes, it's a great album, and very very solid. There's nothing that strikes me as filler at this early point. But it also has no awesome, standout moment.

Having said that, I'm now on my third listen. And it seems to be growing on me. I like growers. Every Maiden album ever except for Fear of the Dark has had to grow on me.

Another bad thing: The bastard has Copy Control on it, which is basically EMI's method of trying to make me use stuff I've bought the way they want me to. (i.e. They've tried to stop me ripping it to MP3 so I can listen to it where ever I want. They haven't suceeded but.) I've sworn I'd never buy a copy controlled disk (note: it's not a CD). They've made me compromise my principles.

Another good thing: The disk is CarbonNeutral. That means they've worked out how much carbon dioxide they're gonna use making and distributing the album, and they're going to plant enough trees in the Iron Maiden Forest to reabsord it. They've made me feel warm and fuzzy.

MORE MIXED FEELINGS!!!

I see what you are saying, about how the album is a mix of alot of things they have done before, but having said that, what the album is overall is beyond what they have done in the past, if you get what I mean. While individual elements may have been taken right off of past albums, the album as a whole does sound fresh, but in a familiar kind of way. It is very Maiden, but at the same time it kind of sounds like Maiden with an edge, and that works really well IMO. If it was too original sounding, it wouldn't be Maiden, and then I probably wouldn't like it as much. DoD is a perfect example of moving ahead, while still maintaining what you had that was great in the first place.

I'm kinda feeling the same thing. I guess I'm just a little dissapointed because it's the first album that I can remember saying "That bit sounds like it comes from this song from this album" rather than "This sounds like Maiden, but a Maiden I haven't heard before". Like I said, it seems to be a bit of a grower.

Actually, as far as overall feel goes, I get a real X-Factor vibe from it, and that's not a bad thing.

And another thing: the production. Does anyone else think it feels a little ... well ... flat? Not sure what's needed but it needs more bite or edge to it.

Blitzkreig and phlogiston - you both make valid comments on the album. It isn't anything you wouldn't expect from Maiden (except Journeyman). It does have a bit of an X-Factor vibe to it, a little dark, a little melancholy, but I think the production is spot on. Lyrically it's good too.

The opening riff to Montsegur is almost thrashy, very heavy indeed - and a bloody great song to boot! Janick seems to get better and better as a songwriter.

Paschendale is for me the most memorable song, and one of their best ever epics. It gives me goosebumps, and it's an original sounding Maiden epic, it doesn't sound like re-hashed stuff to me.

I still really dig Wildest Dreams, but I don't think Rainmaker is as good as what it was supposed to be, Kerrang said is was one of the finest songs they have ever recorded - that comment would apply to Paschendale for mine. :worship:

All the songs seem to have really memorable choruses too - what do you guys think?

Southy - I'll PM you the details of my bike crash.

I think the production is great! Flat? Nope, not a chance. I think BNW has kinda flat production, and DoD is a similar sound, but more extreme in every direction (heavier, more melodic, sharper sounding), giving it more of an edge.

I do hear lots of hints of TXF in there actually, and thought that on about the second listen. Lots of guitar parts and melodies are similar to stuff from that era, which I really like, as I think TXF is awesome.

I agree about Janick being a great songwriter and just getting better. He really does put in a big contribution to the band, and they probably would have lost it completely without him in the 90s.

I like 'Wildest Dreams' more now, since I can hear it properly and all. Not a bad song, but it is probably one of the worst on the album. I also think 'Rainmaker' would be down the bottom somewhere too, again not a bad song, but there is heaps of better stuff on there.

I agree about the choruses too, lots of big memorable catchy choruses, its great!

:worship: Maiden!! :headbang:

I never thought Maiden would top "Gonna cuddle up to you tonight" from Drifter as the most unlikely line in a metal song, but they have now with this bit from the title track of the new album:

"And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them..."

Steve Harris is METAL. :headbang: