The Dance Of Death discussion thread.

I'm with Goreripper, the naysayers are barking mad :)

It's a fantastic album, not one song that i would even consider skipping.. which is more than i can say for any album since SSOASS.

I unfortunately don't even have the album as yet and won't be able to buy it for another week, until next pay day. Seems to be a mixed reaction but generally positive - but I agree that Wildest Dreams is not their strongest song and the 3D rendering on the cover art is woeful!!!

I am currently downloading a few tracks from Drumbeat, but I feel almost guilty and wonder if I should hold off and wait until I have the genuine article on CD.... some mp3 files can lose a lot of detail so I probably won't get a true picture of how the songs really sound.

However I can't wait to hear the new album so my resolve is weakening rapidly! :loco:

Yeah, I think the mp3s of Wildest Dreams getting around tainted a few peoples views of the song. I know I like it alot more listening to it on cd, and I think if some people heard it properly first they would have liked it more. That being said, it is still probably the weakest song on the album.

Yeah, I heard an mp3 first, then heard it on Full Metal Racket on Triple J and the difference was amazing. You couldn't hear the guitars properly on the mp3. They sounded much better on the radio.

As for the strength of the song I am hoping the rest of the album is better than Wildest Dreams, though I must admit it has grown on me and no doubt will sound cool cranked up on the CD player to neighbour annoying volume! :devil:

All the reviews I have read so far indicate Dance of Death is even stronger than Brave New World, which I thought was a great return to form. I am really looking forward to sitting down and listening to the album from start to finish if that's the case!

No matter what I'm sure I will like the album, after all it is Maiden and there are only a few songs I don't like in the 12 albums I've heard so far:

The Angel and the Gambler
Weekend Warrior
The Apparition

So I am sure it will be better than any of these tracks!!

PIV Bassman said:
No matter what I'm sure I will like the album, after all it is Maiden and there are only a few songs I don't like in the 12 albums I've heard so far:

The Angel and the Gambler
Weekend Warrior
The Apparition

So I am sure it will be better than any of these tracks!!

If your expectations are for it to better than those tracks....err...you'll be fine with DoD! :D

I like Weekend Warrior! :(

The album is growing on me - at the moment the only songs I don't like are No More Lies, Montsegur and Dance of Death. Not too keen on Face in the Sand either, but the rest of the album is really good. :headbang:

Paschendale, while good, is being VERY overrated by young Prisoner. In the top 5 epics? Hmm.

Spiff - I'm not overrating Paschendale at all, not for me anyway. Who know's maybe I died there in a former life or something, but everytime I hear it it gives me goosebumps, i think it's tops!

And when I say epics, I don't just mean songs that are over 6-7 minutes I mean Maiden's big grandiose songs like Hallowed, Rime, Alexander, Seventh Son, Clansman, Sign......Paschendale is definitely in their face. But nothing will ever be better than Hallowed or Rime IMO, but the other tracks - yes Paschendale is a serious challenger.

Listening to it now, only got it today. Had a quick listen on the way home on the bus from work .So far Wildest Dreams seems to be the weakest song , really like Rainmaker , No more lies & Dance of Death. Can see why Wildest Dreams was the first single has a sort of commerical feel to it ....But in all I still prefer BNW to DoD but its early days ........ A question why did when I put the CD in my New Computer did it want me to update some files tp play the bloody thing? ......I did,nt though and it playing ok now, so there Mr Rod Smallwallet

Ok, now I have heard the whole album, though I've only listened once so far and heard it in mp3 format. It sounds great, though I think New Frontier, Gates of Tomorrow and Wildest Dreams are very predictable and not that interesting.... perhaps they will improve with repeated listening. It's always hard to take in an album the first time you hear it, so I am going to enjoy listening over the next few days and seeing which tracks really take hold. Once I get a proper copy of the album on CD next week I'll listen again as I have no doubt it will sound fantastic and the step up in quality will make a difference, though the mp3 files I found were good quality.

My first impression is that this definitely the best album they have done since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, which is a bloody good effort! As for comments on Bruce's voice I think he sounds great. There are some fantastic passages of music on this album with some great harmonies.

Minor gripes aside, there's still nothing quite like cranking up a new Maiden album for the first time and being carried away by the music! I have to admit to being pretty excited hearing tracks like Montsegur, Paschendale, No More Lies, Face In The Sand and Dance of Death for the first time.

UP THE IRONS!!! :kickass: :headbang:

Well after one listen, it is obviously too early to form an opinion about the music........but I will say I don't like the production much.
Kevin Shirley needs to give Bruce more reverb, more depth. BNW was ok (just) in that department, but on DoD, Bruce's vocals almost sound 'dry', and to me that's not good enough.
Just spinning it for the second time now......... :cool:

I like Wildest Dreams more and more every time I hear it. It's the sort of song you listen to first thing in the morning to get you pumped up for the day ahead! :headbang: