The Dance Of Death discussion thread.

Nightwing said:
Acknowledged, but the vast majority of fans see it as their best by a reasonable margin - in fact one of the best metal releases ever.
It is also acknowledged as their zenith. (Generally)
Again, I beg to differ. You would be surprised how many people find it overated.

Thats one of the things that is so great about Maiden, they have so many great albums that fans will all have different favourites for different reasons, and they don't just have one or two albums that is considered their 'best'. Though if I had to pick an album which is their most popular it would probably be NOTB or PoM over SSOASS.

Southy: Rock on brother! :kickass:

Apart from The Evil That Men Do I don't think SSOASS is anything really special. The first half of the album is pretty good (including Can I Play With Madness - I used to play that non-stop when we first taped it off of MTV waiting for the album to come out, great song) but the second half is very average IMO, especially what is perhaps the most overrated Maiden song ever, The Clairvoyant.

The statement "best album since SSOASS" which gets bandied about with every album from FOTD onwards doesn't mean much to me.

'Can I Play With Madness' is my least favourite Maiden track. I hate it. More than 'The Angel And The Gambler' etc.

SSOASS has some great stuff on it, 'Only The Good Die Young' is one of my fav Maiden tracks, and 'The Evil That Men Do', 'Moonchild', 'Infinite Dreams', 'The Prophecy' are all great, but as an album I think it is pretty weak. Much like VXI, it has some great stuff on it, but it is just weak as an album. SSOASS would be amongst my 3 least fav Maiden albums.

Which songs from DoD do you lot think will end up in the live set? Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker are both given, but beyond that it's hard to imagine anything staying the distance.

The title track might last for a handful of gigs, though it has a "fireside storytelling" vibe that makes it more suitable to listen to at home rather than in a concert setting.

Paschendale is unlikely, and considering the trouble Bruce seemed to have keeping up with the studio version of Montsegur, I doubt he'd want to sing it every night for an entire tour.

I wouldn't mind hearing No More Lies given the chance, though I'm probably alone in that :lol:. It's another one of those introspective 'Arry type songs like Blood Brothers, Thin Line Between Love and hate or The Educated Fool that I've always enjoyed more than most people.

This post is purely academic, BTW. Let's face it people, what are the odds of anyone in Australia hearing any of this stuff live?

W

As you said, I think Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker will be obvious choices, but there will be a few more songs than just a couple. That is one thing I respect about Maiden, they have the balls to go on tour in support of an album, and actually play a large chunk of the album in their set, rather than just a couple of tracks from it. I think the title track will be played, and No More Lies is a possibility. I would like to see Face In The Sand and New Frontier appear later in the set too, that would be awesome.

Ive had a chance to give the album a good listen now and I dont think its very good. Theres lots of brilliant bits but none of the songs are that great IMHO. The lyrics are kind of silly in parts, and Bruce doesnt sound as good as usual.

Its not like its a terrible album, but its pretty bland and boring IMHO. But I can see why some people might enjoy it, which I couldnt do with St. Anger, so all isnt lost :)

I loved The X Factor the first time I listened to it. I didn't love DOD the first time I listened to it, and I've owned it for a week and still don't love it.

It's a perfect companion CD for Brave New World.

Blitzkrieg said:
'Can I Play With Madness' is my least favourite Maiden track. I hate it. More than 'The Angel And The Gambler' etc.

SSOASS has some great stuff on it, 'Only The Good Die Young' is one of my fav Maiden tracks, and 'The Evil That Men Do', 'Moonchild', 'Infinite Dreams', 'The Prophecy' are all great, but as an album I think it is pretty weak. Much like VXI, it has some great stuff on it, but it is just weak as an album. SSOASS would be amongst my 3 least fav Maiden albums.
Fuck man, you just named 5 tracks out of 8 as being 'great' but still say the albums is 'weak'??????? :OMG:
Of course you didn't even mention the epic title track........what's that, 70-80% of an album is 'great'???
They fucking wish DoD was that good.

5 out of 8 dude........great. Your words.
IMO the only weak track is 'Can I play with Madness'.........

No, I think you can have great songs and a weak album. You can't have a great album without great songs, but you can have the reverse. I think it all depends on on how you listen. If you listen to the SONGS then you'd be happier with albums with fillers than if you listened to the ALBUM as a whole. Forest and trees situation, if you see my meaning.

What Phloggy said.

Much like SSOASS, I think VXI is a very weak album, but it has some killer material on it, it just doesn't work well as a whole. 'The Clansman', 'Lightning Strikes Twice', and 'Como Estais Amigos' are all brilliant tracks, 'When Two Worlds Collide', 'The Educated Fool' and 'Futureal' are all solid, 'Dont Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger' has awesome potential and hints of brilliance, but doesn't really deliver, and 'The Angel And The Gambler' is similar, but less potential with a worse delivery. That covers the whole album, and on paper that sounds pretty good, and individually the songs are as I said above, but pieced together it makes for one of Maiden's worst albums, on a whole.

As for the title track from SSOASS, it could have been a Maiden classic, but was ruined by poor structure. I love the heavy riffing later in the song though.

Anyway, I never said I think SSOASS is crap, I said it is one of Maiden's worst albums, and that is a big compliment to the band, that they can make an album with some brilliant stuff on it, but they still have even better stuff on offer, and that some of their weakest material is still that good.