The DAW/Sequencer Shoot-Out

tools for me
although i will agree with cubum being better for midi

yea i agree but I'm not into midi much so its not a huge deal but i guess tools is supposed to be steeping midi up. I'm only at protools 7.0 but have not even messed with midi in it yet and don't know if i ever will unless i get into like synths or something.

SAMPLITUDE

Great system! If Saw didn't exist, I'd be using Samplitude for sure. By comparison though, it's just too slow. I've got a friend with a Samplitude based place, and I always wind up laughing at him because the record meters move like molasses.

Don't be offended by this: I'd rather use Samplitude than PT, Sonar, or Cubase ....especially because Steinberg are a bunch of lying fucktards: "Update? Sure, no problem!" A year later, "Oh, we've decided we're not going to update the program. Fuck you... you can buy our new version instead. Give us your credit card info!"

-0z-

Great system! If Saw didn't exist, I'd be using Samplitude for sure. By comparison though, it's just too slow. I've got a friend with a Samplitude based place, and I always wind up laughing at him because the record meters move like molasses.

-0z-
the slow meter movement is due to the big buffers he's running. I can't speak to his system, but I don't see that on mine.

Pro Tools, because I was introduced to it years ago when it was still a 5.something program, and it seemed like the natural choice when I decided to get my own studio going. I'm only at 6.7, which the only reason I would upgrade at this point is to keep up with the industry. I went to a Pro Tools 7 Digidesign tour thing that came to town last year, and learned all about the new functions, and didn't really see anything that made me think "Wow, I want that!". I don't know anything about other programs to bash them or praise them over, but I do know that anything I've ever wanted to do I've been able to do with Pro Tools, without trouble. I'm so used to it now that I wouldn't want to change, anyway.

especially because Steinberg are a bunch of lying fucktards: "Update? Sure, no problem!" A year later, "Oh, we've decided we're not going to update the program. Fuck you... you can buy our new version instead. Give us your credit card info!"

-0z-

Agreed, I would check out saw but I don't run PC. On the other end though I don't think I want to upgrade through stienberg so I will probably be looking for alt. DAW software in the future. I am thinking PT just because it is pretty much what you find in 60 an hours studios :erk: I just shudder at learning another program.

Pro Tools, because I was introduced to it years ago when it was still a 5.something program, and it seemed like the natural choice when I decided to get my own studio going. I'm only at 6.7, which the only reason I would upgrade at this point is to keep up with the industry. I went to a Pro Tools 7 Digidesign tour thing that came to town last year, and learned all about the new functions, and didn't really see anything that made me think "Wow, I want that!". I don't know anything about other programs to bash them or praise them over, but I do know that anything I've ever wanted to do I've been able to do with Pro Tools, without trouble. I'm so used to it now that I wouldn't want to change, anyway.

I thought a lot of new plugins needed protools 7.0 or 6.9 or something like that maybe im wrong???

Just curious what your using in plugin world Arron??

Nuendo 3, simply because Cubase was the first 'high-end' DAW I picked up and learned quite well.

I'm likely grabbing an mbox2 in the next few days, simply to interface with projects from other people, but I absolutely hate the arbitrary constraints that Digi put on their LE software. No ADC and a limit of 32 tracks is ridiculous in this day and age. Not to mention a gimped beat detective.

Having said that, I really like PT for editing. I see the merits in both PT and Nuendo. I use one for tracking and editing and the other for mixing. So it works for me.