The DAW/Sequencer Shoot-Out

Just bought Sonar 6 Studio and I like it. Used Cubase before it so there´s lot of things to learn, but the main functions are clear to me. I like Sonar ´cause it´s easy to use, it´s got some great plugins like the new Multiband, Audio Snap feature rules, the insert/bus routings are great ´cause they´re not limited. And it´s cool that you can name the connections by yourself, though it´s not a big thing.

The program is stable and Cakewalk put it out as a pretty well prepared version unlike Steinberg with the new Cubase. I was considering to buy Cubase though, but when I read about their update fuckups I got a taste of shit in my mouth.

And Sonar´s pretty cheap. :)

I'm switching to Mac any time soon, and I'm trying to get a good picture of alternatives for Cubase. I remember a local guru using Digital Performer in his studio and praising it a lot, and since I kinda like it's looks and found it ok on a quick try at his place, I'm considering switching to it.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some personal experiences from DP, and if there's some major fuck-ups compared to Cubase. Hell, I know I'm gonna end up with Cubase again, but perhaps someone can convince me otherwise :)

Doing more and more intensive projects, I've run into limitations from Nuendo, from an editing perspective. I recently bought ProTools LE and have really taken a shining to it for editing (and tracking of course, which is what I traditionally always used it for).

I really like navigating my way around ProTools much more than Nuendo. Editing is much faster.

I do still really like Nuendo for mixing though. Routing tracks and all that is a breeze with it... whereas in ProTools you have to fiddle a little bit more. Overall I find Nuendo to run better as well, and manage fades a lot better without wanting to crash sideways.

Told my girlfriend to cut my balls off if I try and deviate from Nuendo to another platform. It has it's quirks, but I'm a much nicer human being when dealing with it's problems and workflow when compared to Sonar or Pro Tools. It just suits the way I like to do things.

Now one of the friendly folks (users not mods....they are scum) over at the Tascam forum have written a better script for using the US2400 with it, I'm even happier. Just means this tradesman has one less reason to blame his tools!

Can anyone explain to me why you guys use Nuendo instead of Cubase?

I mean, it's approx. 1000 bucks more expensive for virtually the same feature set. And most of the folks here don't even make steady money from their studio work. So where's the advantage?

Other than not caring because it's the pirated copy anyway :)

Can anyone explain to me why you guys use Nuendo instead of Cubase?

I mean, it's approx. 1000 bucks more expensive for virtually the same feature set. And most of the folks here don't even make steady money from their studio work. So where's the advantage?

Other than not caring because it's the pirated copy anyway :)

I went from SX to Nuendo 2 when I got a free licence from my university, I'd never pay for Nuendo though. To be honest, I'd only pay for Studio 4 if I had to pay full price (since I can get NFR copies through work I don't have to :kickass: ).

Nuendo 3.2 user and paid for it....or at least my old clients did.

I'm a freelance IT Consultant and was doing a lot of multimedia/viral stuff a couple of years back so got my client to pay for Nuendo at the time. It was cheaper for them, and free for me.