The Daysleepers- Drowned in a Sea of Sound (fantastic shoegays)

I'll give a listen later. Album of the year material, hmm? We'll see : ) Witchfinder General album is soon to come out !!!

I love the Daysleepers! They are without a doubt one of my favorite bands, and the fact that they are from Buffalo - a little over an hour away from where I live - makes me love them even more. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's heard of them.

The new album is phenomenal and will definately be one of my top albums of the year (I actually posted that on my list in the 2008 Albums thread). Also recommended are their two excellent EPs. The first is out of print now (limited to 500 copies - I was actually lucky enough to get one of the last ones through Jeff Kandefer), but you can find all their music on iTunes.

Also recommended are their two excellent EPs. The first is out of print now (limited to 500 copies - I was actually lucky enough to get one of the last ones through Jeff Kandefer), but you can find all their music on iTunes.

Agreed. The first e.p., "Hide Your Eyes," is probably their BEST material... but it looks like it will never be available to the public in a hard format ever again. The second e.p. was a bit of a let down (atleast for me, many others love it), but I think that the full-length is a true return-to-form.

I quite enjoyed the second EP. Stereo Honey is one of my favorite songs.

The new album is absolutely amazing and I would advise anyone on this board with even a passing interest in shoegaze to check it out.

Listening to it now, wow great stuff Darksoul thanks for the recommendation. I haven't delved too far into shoegaze other than Alcest but I'm liking these guys a lot already. I find the best bands from this forum, thanks a lot!

Listening to the cd for the first time today...wow...makes me feel like it's 1995 or earlier. This might be the best modern Shoegaze release. And wow...definitely a contender for album of the year :) Thank you for finding this my dark mate...I feel like dancing.

Listening to it now, wow great stuff Darksoul thanks for the recommendation. I haven't delved too far into shoegaze other than Alcest but I'm liking these guys a lot already. I find the best bands from this forum, thanks a lot!

Alcest supposedly never heard of any Shoegazing bands before making his last album...I call bullshit...but if you want to check out some good Shoegaze/Dream Pop...then: Slowdive, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse, Catherine Wheel, Galaxie 500, Verve and Swervedriver. Rumskib is also really good for a modern sound.

Alcest supposedly never heard of any Shoegazing bands before making his last album...I call bullshit...but if you want to check out some good Shoegaze/Dream Pop...then: Slowdive, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Chapterhouse, Catherine Wheel, Galaxie 500, Verve and Swervedriver. Rumskib is also really good for a modern sound.

Cool, yeah I'm really liking this type of music I'll be sure to check out your recommendations. Thanks!

Rumskib is also really good for a modern sound.

Indeed - Rumskib is incredible. As far as modern shoegaze goes, I also like a few other bands like Alcest, Airiel and Tearwave. However, I've got to say that the Daysleepers are probably the best shoegaze band I have ever listened to. If you're enjoying the new album, I would highly suggest you also check out their two EPs: Hide Your Eyes and The Soft Attack.

Very good calls, sir!

I would say that Rumskib are THE best modern shoegazers... the atmosphere of their debut REALLY sets me off... it makes me feel all light, magic, and gay. I would say that The Daysleepers are a not-so-distant second, though they're definitely a bit darker than Rumskib.

Check out Rumskib track:

As far as the classics go, I'd say that Slowdive's "Souvlaki" and My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" are the most essential albums. All of the bands Kev mentioned are great, too. Between 1990 and 1993, nearly everything that came out of this genre was at least "pretty good." I think most Katatonia fans would really be into the first two Catherine Wheel albums. I can hear a lot of Catherine Wheel in Katatonia circa Discouraged Ones:

I got to meet Rob Dickinson two years ago when he was opening solo for The Church... he played many of the classic CW tunes on the acoustic, it was really beautiful! A dream come true :cry:.

Another band that does not get enough talked about enough is Curve. They're pretty much like a cross between Garbage (Garbage actually ripped them off) and My Bloody Valentine, and made some really great FUCK songs that leaned heavily toward the pop side of the shoegazer spectrum:

...and Toni Halliday might be THE sexiest woman in music ever? That voice and face combination is total boner fuel. Lord Darksoul highly recommends "Pubic Fruit," which is a compilation of their first three EP's.

Oh.. and I REALLY was put off by that Alcest record. On paper, a shoegayser-meets-black/folk record sounds like the greatest thing in the world, but I could not get into it AT ALL, and found much of it cringeworthy even.

Shoegazer is the best genre ever...

Last edited by a moderator: