THE Desk build thread - PICS :)

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
So for those who followed, I went through a series of designs for the new desk I was building before settling on the final design. Over the last 2 days I've put in around hmm... 26 hours of cutting/ sanding/ painting/ nailing/ screwing/ bracing and crying...

But for the most part it's pretty much finished :) I'm waiting on some rack rails and some hardware parts but apart from that it's pretty much done which is great. Anyways, here are the Desk Chronicles 2012!

Here are the Base/ Top parts of the monitor stands. Just Black laminated MDF, nothing special, but they do the job well.

Photo%203-01-12%2020%2059%2003.jpg

And this is the cut/ stained pine I've decided to use for both the monitor stands and desktop.

Photo%203-01-12%2020%2059%2019.jpg

And here is 1 completed monitor stand :) Looks good right! I wanted to go for a square shaft for the stands but the triangular shaft looked cooler to me and seems just as sturdy. It's filled with 7kg of Sand in each core. Really stable, I can't wait to test them :)

Photo%203-01-12%2020%2059%2030.jpg

Desktop woods drying after being stained. 2 coats seems to have been enough to make them look a rich beach/ cherry stain but not overboard :)

Photo%203-01-12%2020%2059%2041.jpg

Hmmm... Joao ponders what next after the frame of the desk is finished. Again, MDF Laminated feet/ structure and a Pine top :)

Photo%205-01-12%200%2010%2022.jpg

And here she is complete with top hutch and slide out Keyboard/ Mouse drawer (Thanks Officeworks (Officemax to US folk)). Looking damn good.. But don't be fooled! The hutch isn't actually screwed in/ glued yet.. I'm still awaiting my rack rails from the U.S which probably won't arrive till next week. Can't wait for them :)

It's also worth noting that the White BOX with the tubs is what I chose to buy instead of building drawers for the desk. Cheaper, less work and actually really well constructed for $20. It's going to be painted BLACK though, like all self respecting metal-head hardware haha.

Photo%205-01-12%200%2010%2050.jpg

So there it pretty much is! I'll post a final picture when the rails and everything is in, but for now, I'm quite content at both the finished product and my dedication to actually building it. I haven't build anything from scratch since I was in high school... Which even at my age feels like an eternity ago!

Costs for this were as follows (Desk + Monitor stands)

Woods - $100
Hardware/ Stainer - $100
Keyboard Fold out + 2 Tub Boxes $100

So, in total $300 for something I'm quite confident will keep me happy for quite a while... Sure I could have bought some prefabricated something or other, but this way I get exactly what I want how I want!

Cheers,
Chris :)

@Roflsaurus - cheers dude! And nope :) my bed is in the parallel wall which is empty. They'll be swapping places so the desk is center and the monitors are far from the corners :)

@ermz - it was kind of for effect lol... I'll probably just keep them standing. However, I didnt know it was tweeters out anyway :p I can't wait to get the GSSL in there! Also.. That other rack unit is a Wharfedale Studio Verb unit which apparently is decent... I got it for a steal at $50 at a local pawn shop .. We will see if it gets used at all haha!

Cheers dan! It's just a Behringer Headphone amp that's all :) I use it to monitor anyone tracking so up to 3/4 headphones can be listened to at once. Usually it's me, a vocalist and another band member :)

Cool. great job! Is that thing to the right of the left monitor one of those behringer monitor mixer thingies? How does that work for you? and how is it different than having a small behringer xenyx mixer? Curious.

I have one of those, they're called MINIMON's. Pretty decent unit. It works great for switching between multiple sets of monitors. I also run my computers audio throught it. What I originally purchased it for was the talk-back functionality, but its pretty much useless since it sends the talk-back audio to both the headphone outputs and the monitor outputs, causing feedback in the control room.

But all in all I like it for what it is, and it was cheap.

Ahhh, that thing! Never tried it. To be fair though, the less Behringer gear in my chain the better :p the headphone amp is an exception because I only use it during tracking :)