The Devil Wears Prada TONE MATCH

I don't live far from SushiFish, and a lot of metal bands in this area record there. $35/hour is a lot different than $35/song. Matty is highly recommended. A good friend of mines band is working on their CD there right now...
Trent

the problem is not what these "studios" charge but the fact that they're advertising their "studio" as as studio and themselves as a "producer".

If you like fucking around with a screwdriver on cars it's fine and if you're making some bucks in your free time fixing your friend's car that's perfectly fine, too, but if you're opening a professinal garage, call yourself a mechanic and advertise it like that you should have the skills and charge what it's worth.
if you don't have the skills and are actually not a mechanic you can't claim to run a professional garage, no matter how little you charge...that's just how it is (ask line level recs, he knows about this ;) ).
the dude getting his car fixed and having an accident 5miles later cause the breaks didn't work will tell his buddy: "I was at this garage having this mechanic fix my car and he did a shit job...even if you go to a proper garage and have a real mechanic work on it tey don't get the easiest shit done"....the whole industry gets judged by these little "studios"...and I haven't even started about the "my brother's friend has a Cubase5 and is a producer, too" client.

or let me put it this way:
if you're charging money for your work (no matter how little), so if your actually making money off it and you're still using cracked plugins you''re nothing but a lowlife leeching off of the industry even further....if you're NOT using cracked plugins you'll have to charge more...20€ per song won't even pay for your plugins.
you can't open a garage with stolen tools....and if you bought your own tools you have to charge a certain minimum to at least cover your costs....if you don't you're hurting the industry twice.

I'm tired of these "but how much should I charge, I'm not that good"...if you're not that good don't open a "studio" and don't call yourself a producer...that's how it works in any other job....other job also have certain requirements, if you don't meet those you can't do the job.
and don't reply with the second standard "but I don't have the money to buy all the plugs and gear, what should I do"...well easy...don't open a studio..back to point one, requirements not fulfilled.

How do you propose someone get into recording? Do it free for 4 years until they produce something that is worth 100 dollars a song to someone? Sorry, but that seems a little ridiculous.

I can understand your argument completely, but I don't think it takes away from you guys at all. Like I said, the kids I deal with would never sniff REAL studio time. So, why not give them the opportunity to get their songs listened to?

And please, what defines producer? If you can define clearly what isn't one, what makes some a producer?

How do you propose someone get into recording? Do it free for 4 years until they produce something that is worth 100 dollars a song to someone? Sorry, but that seems a little ridiculous.

how does one get into ANY job? learn the craft, be an intern, try to get a job at someone elses "garage", or, if you're willing to take a risk....work in your dayjob, save every penny, learn and get better in your free time (not advertising yourself as a studio/producer!)...and when you have gathered the money and abilities buy the tools and open a studio.

it's like that in every other job, I can't see why everyone thinks it should be that different in audio production...why do people think everyone has to be running a studio and call himself a producer? if you don't have the tools and or skills you can't do that....that's like that in every fuckig other job also.

don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a hobby and also making some bucks from it..and if your hobby is mixing that's cool and if you only charge 20$ that's alright....but saying you run a "studio" and calling yourself a producer is misleading

"but how else is one supposed to be a become racecar driver if one doesn't have the money for a team/car, the skills to drive etc?".....well sorry to break it to you, but in that case you can't call yourself a racecar driver....pretty easy.
you can still drive your car to the mall of course, but you're NOT a professional racecar driver!
Also have I never heard of a pro dirver that's driving stolen cars

the problem is not what these "studios" charge but the fact that they're advertising their "studio" as as studio and themselves as a "producer".

If you like fucking around with a screwdriver on cars it's fine and if you're making some bucks in your free time fixing your friend's car that's perfectly fine, too, but if you're opening a professinal garage, call yourself a mechanic and advertise it like that you should have the skills and charge what it's worth.
if you don't have the skills and are actually not a mechanic you can't claim to run a professional garage, no matter how little you charge...that's just how it is (ask line level recs, he knows about this ;) ).
the dude getting his car fixed and having an accident 5miles later cause the breaks didn't work will tell his buddy: "I was at this garage having this mechanic fix my car and he did a shit job...even if you go to a proper garage and have a real mechanic work on it tey don't get the easiest shit done"....the whole industry gets judged by these little "studios"...and I haven't even started about the "my brother's friend has a Cubase5 and is a producer, too" client.

or let me put it this way:
if you're charging money for your work (no matter how little), so if your actually making money off it and you're still using cracked plugins you''re nothing but a lowlife leeching off of the industry even further....if you're NOT using cracked plugins you'll have to charge more...20€ per song won't even pay for your plugins.
you can't open a garage with stolen tools....and if you bought your own tools you have to charge a certain minimum to at least cover your costs....if you don't you're hurting the industry twice.

I'm tired of these "but how much should I charge, I'm not that good"...if you're not that good don't open a "studio" and don't call yourself a producer...that's how it works in any other job....other job also have certain requirements, if you don't meet those you can't do the job.
and don't reply with the second standard "but I don't have the money to buy all the plugs and gear, what should I do"...well easy...don't open a studio..back to point one, requirements not fulfilled.

dyw191.jpg

lmao i dont get why mother fuckers give a shit if we wanna charge
mann... i charged pretty good on my "shit" recordings
and now i got 3 bands wworking with me right now
and my mixes sound pretty good IMO

and iv been doing this for almost a year..not even
imagine what i would accomplish when im in a more serious age to do this shit

fuck this bullshit thread

how does one get into ANY job? learn the craft, be an intern, try to get a job at someone elses "garage", or, if you're willing to take a risk....work in your dayjob, save every penny, learn and get better in your free time (not advertising yourself as a studio/producer!)...and when you have gathered the money and abilities buy the tools and open a studio.

it's like that in every other job, I can't see why everyone thinks it should be that different in audio production...why do people think everyone has to be running a studio and call himself a producer? if you don't have the tools and or skills you can't do that....that's like that in every fuckig other job also.

don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a hobby and also making some bucks from it..and if your hobby is mixing that's cool and if you only charge 20$ that's alright....but saying you run a "studio" and calling yourself a producer is misleading

"but how else is one supposed to be a become racecar driver if one doesn't have the money for a team/car, the skills to drive etc?".....well sorry to break it to you, but in that case you can't call yourself a racecar driver....pretty easy.
you can still drive your car to the mall of course, but you're NOT a professional racecar driver!

I totally agree.

BUT, how can anyone tell when they cross that line of hobbiest to producer?

i mean everyones mixing get better and better over time, am i right? (and please do correct me if im wrong) so how can one go about doing it as a hobby and getting better day in and day out for years and eventually cross that fine line of hobbiest to producer? you cant just wake up one morning and go "today is the day, im a producer now!"

im curious as to what others think about this.
im sure almost everyone who records as a hobby wants to become a producer, how will they know when they are ready?

I totally agree.

BUT, how can anyone tell when they cross that line of hobbiest to producer?

i mean everyones mixing get better and better over time, am i right? (and please do correct me if im wrong) so how can one go about doing it as a hobby and getting better day in and day out for years and eventually cross that fine line of hobbiest to producer? you cant just wake up one morning and go "today is the day, im a producer now!"

im curious as to what others think about this.
im sure almost everyone who records as a hobby wants to become a producer, how will they know when they are ready?

This is what I was getting at.

He brings up solid points, although I can't see it hurting the real guys too much, but I can see where he is coming from.

towards the producer title, I agree with you. Producer is just a title. There are no qualifications one must have to become a "producer". At least, that's the way I see it from my bedroom "studio". :rolleyes:

it's true, unlike other jobs the title "producer" is not protected by law.
But I highly doubt that it's possible to charge only 20$ and still be able to afford to buy the plugins and hardware that's needed for the job (unless you've got a dayjob for that and production is just a hobby, see above).
let's just make up a definition...or better, let's pretend "producer" is an actual job title...if you're doing this or any other job you'll need tools. a pro, so someone who does this job and IS a producer, can't work with stolen tools, so he has to charge a certain minimum to afford these tools, if he doesn't have these tools he can't do his job, so he can't be a producer.
simplified: not charging a necessary minimum=not possible to be a producer (legally).
one of the reasons for my highr prices is that I have to cover my investments....(I paid like 25-30000$ alone for software!)...I'm not saying software worth 30.000 is a must, but a certain minimum is (so is hardware)....I HAVE to include this money in my calculations and have to include it in the money I charge for my work....that makes me more expensive than people who don't have these expenses cause they're using stolen stuff.
so before we even start to talk about quality I have to charge 2 times as much ONLY to cover my expenses.....the band may not care whether or not the plugins are cracked, so by going to one of the non-legit studios they save like 40$ an hour just for that (still not talking about quality)....this hurts the business in two ways that affect each other and me: plugins get more expensive cause the software developers have to cover those losses and budgets for productions shrink cause labels (at least the smaller ones) expect these cheap prices the non-legit people are offering nowadays (still not talking about quality....that's often not even the label's main concern).
so I
-lose that potential client
-have to pay more for my tools
-have to work with smaller and smaller budgets
-these smaller budgets drive bands to record with lesser quality non-legit "producers" (cause they HAVE TO)
-the vicious cycle begins again

don't get me wrong, 90% of the forummates are't doing this for a living, but they all (at least the old timers and regulars) try to be as legit as possible, and that IMPLIES a minimum rate for above mentioned reasons.....

So my problem with the low rate is not the low rate itself or the fact that that might take clients away from me, but my problem is the reason behind the fact that low rates are even possible...that reason is part of what hurts the industry and all the legit studios.

we had a similar discussion with line level recs...then he started being all dick about it and got banned (not saying you're being a dick!)..that ban got lifted cause "his roommate posted all the insults" (I don't think that excuse will work twice btw ;)) and he started being humble and learned a lot from this forum since then.
it's not that we're all assholes (although it might look like that atm :) ), we just really love our jobs and try to protect them.

Again, thanks you for posting that. That puts a lot of thing in place about the industry for me. I obviously am shooting to record eventually as my occupation, but now I need to focus on getting the sound as best as I can. But thank you again for posting that. It was enlightening.

i disagree
i think alota people on this forum are dicks
but there are some great ppl on this forum
i know alota people who love their jobs (even engineers) and protect it without being a dick

and i havnt learned lots
iv learned a few things

but i have learned this forum talks alota shit
and insults unnecessarily

i disagree
i think alota people on this forum are dicks
but there are some great ppl on this forum
i know alota people who love their jobs (even engineers) and protect it without being a dick

and i havnt learned lots
iv learned a few things

but i have learned this forum talks alota shit
and insults unnecessarily

well, noone forces you to spend time here (I know, tat was being a dick ;) )....there's alway HCAF you can go to

The sad thing is, this thread has 3x as much replies and views as the decent recordings on this website :rolleyes: