The Devil Wears Prada TONE MATCH

I think that some people on here like being baby's about their occupation. Is a shitty carpenter not a carpenter because he's shitty? Does he not deserve the money for his shitty products, even though people know the products will be shitty?

What I'm trying to get at is...."Is shitty shit not worth shit just because it's shitty shit?"

In the end your fighting semantics...which is circular fighting....which is dumb. Your a producer...That kids a producer...I'm a producer...I'm going to hand my grandmother a laptop with audacity...if she hits the red circle...she's also a producer. :kickass::heh:

He's obviously not taking any of your clients...therefore...no issue.

I personally like the kids and their 'producerism'. They inevitably filter all the morons and keep them away from me. Anybody who has the need to ever say 'why would I record with you when my mate in his garage has Cubase, all the Waves plug-ins, Autotune, Melodyne and he can make us sound sick for a quarter of the price?' is someone I never want to interact with.

As a result, the clients that seek me out do so on the basis of my abilities and results - not the gear I use, nor what outlandish promises are made. The ones who aren't serious and committed ultimately can't afford the service, and that helps out both parties. They can find someone more suitable, and I'm left to focus on other projects that will actually further my career rather than hinder it, with people who are equally passionate about what they do.

PS. This thread sucks. You'd think someone would've seen it when the entire basis was to emulate a DIGITAL tone used by a band that sucks in almost every conceivable way.

I think that some people on here like being baby's about their occupation. Is a shitty carpenter not a carpenter because he's shitty? Does he not deserve the money for his shitty products, even though people know the products will be shitty?

What I'm trying to get at is...."Is shitty shit not worth shit just because it's shitty shit?"

In the end your fighting semantics...which is circular fighting....which is dumb. Your a producer...That kids a producer...I'm a producer...I'm going to hand my grandmother a laptop with audacity...if she hits the red circle...she's also a producer. :kickass::heh:

He's obviously not taking any of your clients...therefore...no issue.

point missed.

Ermz is right again though

+1 to Lasse and Ermz. If your recordings are only worth $20 a song, spend a fuck load more time working on your own recordings and the stuff of close friends for free before you even let anyone else know you exist. I charge more than twice that for fucking drum editing, let alone tracking/editing/mixing a full track. Douchebags charging prices like that are giving bands a ridiculous false sense of entitlement when it comes to recording rates. You know how many local bands in my area aren't even willing to spend $100/song because of this sort of crap?

The ONLY other craft I can compare to recording in this sense is photography, and it's the same clients that are causing the problem. "$400 for promo photos of my band? That's fucking bullshit, my sister got a Nikon D40 for Christmas, she'll probably do it for us if we buy her a pack of tampons."

You are NEVER going to be able to go from charging $20/song to the minimum $400-$500/song it takes to make a living doing this, and that's if you are doing it out of a smaller project studio. You set the value of your services at $20/song and that's what every band in your area is going to pay you forever. You'll realize this when you move out of your parents' house and have to record 2 full length albums every week to pay your bills. But what am I saying, I'm sure you've all got it figured out. There's gotta be 104 bands in your area that are putting out a full length every year and want to record it with you right?

It is complete bullshit that a 15 year old kid who's entire income is disposable can pose as a "producer" and devalue the work of everyone who takes this profession seriously. Maybe I'll go download some cracked medicine and cracked surgical tools and open a veterinary clinic in the spare bedroom at my parents house and charge $15 per pet to fix sick animals, there's nothing wrong with that right guys?

We've been over this before, but the general cycle of events is:

-Young starter producers illegally attain a bunch of software and gain a rudimentary knowledge of recording
-Because they are living all expenses paid, and like the prestige of calling themselves producers, they advertise their services at very low, unsustainable rates
-The industry adapts in a way where bands and labels get a sense of entitlement to audio engineering services at those rates across the board
-Larger studios close down due to drying up clientele
-Mid-level operators start to struggle between matching costs and downscaling their own studios to make the new rates sustainable
-Quality of audio engineering drops across the board
-Aforementioned young starter producers are now older and attempting to make a living of their own
-They realize that their former rates were entirely unsustainable and that nobody feels entitled to pay them more
-They are now the old guard who warn the current generation of youngsters against the dangers of undercutting
-New generation don't listen. It's too late. Cycle has begun again. Go back to point 1.

Cross that with every increasing editing power, more affordable software and more ITB power, and that is what I see to be the inevitable demise of the recording industry. I hope at least we get to have some fun while it lasts.

I see where you guys are coming from now. I think its bullshit if someone is making money off of recording AND they are using warez. I personally have been buying all my own shit for the past 2 years for audio equipment (never sued warez) and I've come to about 6000$ in total hardware and software gear. Im also gonna be buying a new really jacked computer for around 1200$. Now once I get my new computer set up and everythings stable Im going to be offering recording services for 60$ a song (this inculdes 6 hours of tracking, so if they want more time they have to pay like 9$/hr) I think thats a fair price for what im offering at this point in time (drummers will have to play through an e-kit triggering SD2.0) Obviously the more advanced I get the more I will charge. I think thats a fair price to the bands, and its not so cheap to take away from the really experinced guys.

P.S. If you want to hear some of my stuff the myspace link is in my sig. Also people that use warez tend to get shitty results, as they have no respect for the work put into the product. :kickass:

almost all my plugins are free thanks to generous people who like sharing their work for free.
i got Audition as a birthday present and i've been buying some plugins here and there.

i charge $30 a song now..i really should take that video off haha

anyways, the reason i started recording other bands is because there are way too many shitty studios worse than mine that charge $100 a song or $35/hour and people actually record with them and end up with the shittest sounds ever.

i know i'm nothing amazing, but i'm still improving so i'll keep on doing what i'm doing :)

<333

Producer is a title that somebody claims....I not a title that you earn. BTW....if your referring to me as the person who uses cracked software that's 100% not true. I do understand that probably 95% of all kids that record, that are under the age of 18 have cracked software. But I want to establish that I don't so that we have something to relate to here. I've probably put around 2,500$ into my studio....I'm doing 40$ a song. I record nonstop....I never quit....I'm always booked. But I wouldn't think about changing my prices at this point....Why? Because I'm still learning.

almost all my plugins are free thanks to generous people who like sharing their work for free.
i got Audition as a birthday present and i've been buying some plugins here and there.

i charge $30 a song now..i really should take that video off haha

anyways, the reason i started recording other bands is because there are way too many shitty studios worse than mine that charge $100 a song or $35/hour and people actually record with them and end up with the shittest sounds ever.

i know i'm nothing amazing, but i'm still improving so i'll keep on doing what i'm doing :)

<333

Exactly:kickass:

If you are planning on living with your parents forever and mixing everything ITB using free VSTs then cool, that approach will work. But soon enough, you will move out, buy some gear, get a space and raise your prices to try and make a living and then another 15 yr old kid who still lives at home using cracked software will undercut you at $25/song getting the same results you were at that price that was still enough to take all the business away from the real studios and you will be collecting unemployment and begging McDonald's for your old job back.

Don't give me this "how else am I supposed to start out" nonsense. You start out the same way anyone starts out learning anything, like Lasse said. You don't learn to be a structural engineer by designing houses for people for $15/house and learning through trial and error what fell down and killed everyone and what didn't. You find someone to teach you and put yourself in an environment where you can learn the trade and when you have developed the necessary skills you can try opening a studio.

thanks Ermz and Adam...you're got a great way of explaining what I'm thinking.
...my rates are roughly 20-30 times as high as the rates mentioned here....and I still struggle to pay my rent every month (and I'm thoroughly booked)...
as soon as you 30$ per song guys arrive in the real world you'll realize that you have not only fucked the industry, but also yourselves.
as Adam and Ermin explained..noone is gonna pay 10-30 times as much all of the sudden, but you'll HAVE to charge it to sudtain your business...so you fail before you started.
I'm not sorry for you guys

QUICK SUMMARY since the rest of my post makes my opinions seem insane:

Charge whatever the fuck you want, but don't call yourself a studio or a producer unless you own a studio and the tools required to produce.

I really really really fucking hope Lasse just flips a BITCH today or tomorrow and bans like half of the douchebags posting in this thread.

Zak w/OMG - you're retarded, your other posts/threads have proved this. Stop talking. A producer is a title that somebody claims??? I have never in my life heard anyone so desecrate the profession they wish to enter. I hope your kids get lupus.

Line level Recordings - you are also retarded. I'm ashamed people like you are allowed to vote. Yes, I like to talk shit. Yes, you FULLY deserve with the nonsensical drivel you've posted in this thread.

QUICK SUMMARY since the rest of my post makes my opinions seem insane:

Charge whatever the fuck you want, but don't call yourself a studio or a producer unless you own a studio and the tools required to produce.

I really really really fucking hope Lasse just flips a BITCH today or tomorrow and bans like half of the douchebags posting in this thread.

Zak w/OMG - you're retarded, your other posts/threads have proved this. Stop talking. A producer is a title that somebody claims??? I have never in my life heard anyone so desecrate the profession they wish to enter. I hope your kids get lupus.

Line level Recordings - you are also retarded. I'm ashamed people like you are allowed to vote. Yes, I like to talk shit. Yes, you FULLY deserve with the nonsensical drivel you've posted in this thread.

chill out man, I understand your mad, but theres no need for blatant insults. Also I dont think lasse is going to BAN someone for having another opnion, right? This isn't a freaking dictatorship. Also many of these people say very clearly its a home recording studio. Any band recording with them should know what they are going into.

chill out man, I understand your mad, but theres no need for blatant insults. Also I dont think lasse is going to BAN someone for having another opnion, right? This isn't a freaking dictatorship. Also many of these people say very clearly its a home recording studio. Any band recording with them should know what they are going into.

Do you advertise that in the name? Do you run Arrowed Lung Home Studios?

Lasse runs LSD-Studio, because he works in a studio. Andy Sneap runs Backstage Studios, because he works in a studio.

Similarly, Ermz runs Ermin H sound production, because he works with sound production. I run Arcana Recordings, because I work with recordings.

Both of us call our setups "home studios," because that's what they are, but we don't advertise that we run 'studios,' because we don't work in studios.

Do you advertise that in the name? Do you run Arrowed Lung Home Studios?

Lasse runs LSD-Studio, because he works in a studio. Andy Sneap runs Backstage Studios, because he works in a studio.

Similarly, Ermz runs Ermin H sound production, because he works with sound production. I run Arcana Recordings, because I work with recordings.

Both of us call our setups "home studios," because that's what they are, but we don't advertise that we run 'studios,' because we don't work in studios.

I left my user name Arrowed Lung Studios because I dont know if in 5-10 years Ill have my own studio, then the homestudio there will look pretty stupid :loco: Either way Ill make some adjustments to my page to make sure people know they are going into a home studio.

wow
you dont even know what my mixes sound like
you dont even know what i own
is that what makes a fucking studio?
someone who has the tools?
i know people who own shit
and they got GREAT tracks
u know what i dont really give a fuck if i get banned

you guys dont diserve to be cocky
some guys on here like gareth, Ermz, catharsis or w/e his name is Does

they got jack shit compared to "real studios" and their shit sounds great

this isnt a friendly metal forum anymore
this is just a talk shit forum

and people who charge 20 dollars or a 1000 dollars can call themselves whatever they fuckin want

jeff and lasse...
the trick in audio recording is to make magic without a magic tool kit
faggots

your probably too stupid to know what that means

Enough of that shit.
Ban the douchebags.

ahh but who are the douche bags??? the one without the high post count? seriously guys, people on both sides are acting like ravenous psychos. We can discuss this matter without calling eachothers fucks and assholes and what not.