The DIY thread

I couldn't find the old thread (or was there even one?). Being a tweaker and a fan of oddball equipment by heart, I love talking and seeing DIY audio stuff. Show me your handiwork! :dopey:

I'm a fuzz enthusiast, and my latest project is a custom fuzz pedal called Ahab. It's basically the bastard son of a bazz fuss and a fuzz face with both symmetric germanium and asymmetric silicon clipping and some other funky tweaks. The main idea behind this was to go all-out on build quality - point-to-point turret board construction, Switchraft jacks, Alpha pots, carbon comp resistors and so on. I just finished the final prototype yesterday, and since I'm really happy with it and have already gotten some requests, I think I'm gonna build a small run to sell as well. Here's a little youtube clip (sorry for the sloppy playing):

Here's some of my other recent stuff. JCA20H (clean mod not done by me) facelift:

jca20h.jpg

Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh (actually wanted to buy it, but couldn't find one):

pharaoh_finished.jpg

A Woolly Mammoth clone:

fuzz.jpg

Your turn!

Last edited by a moderator:
1149035_740141782671037_629015047_n.jpg

Not sure if it'll show here, but here's a chorus pedal I built from BYOC. I had a class in audio electronics last year and caught the DIY bug in a major way. Currently wanting to pick up some SCA stuff, waiting on DIY Recording Equipment to release their updated reamp kit, and hoping to build a SLO clone in the future.

Bo Hansen DI
CIMG5846.jpg

Hairball 1176 (while I was trying to figure out how to put it all together)
227406_10150576037195277_3663298_n_zpsdnazsui7.jpg

Classic API VP26 x4. Hairball 1176 is below.
11073972_10155284097930277_6901178202628429577_n_zps4xy4klta.jpg

Suppose these count as DIY as well. Panels
IMG_0128_zpsb7822917.jpg

what did you use to cover those panels? Is that burlap? I used burlap but it is too see through and does not look nice. I used a double layer on one and it looked way better,

It's a stretchy polyester type material. It looks and feels nice. I can feel my breath through it, so that does the job.

I've made a Gssl, Various pedals, fix amps all the time, and just been repairing the console I just bought!

can someone recommend me a good website to buy stuff to make a ssl bus compressor myself? Also some tutorials are welcomed

it's not finished yet because i know shit about electronics...wich i could do electronics...i'd immediately start my own stopmp box company :lol:

00000000000000000000000.JPG

I'm about to order parts to make a couple of preamps for my piezo-elements, and I'd like to order parts to fix an old amp of mine.. but it seems that old Betsy has run her course..

From the Capi website. The 312's were back in stock today, but there wasn't many. The transformers seem to be the problem just now. Can't seem to keep up with the demand.

I've got the VP26's just now and they're really good. Getting the VP312's for something different.

From the Capi website. The 312's were back in stock today, but there wasn't many. The transformers seem to be the problem just now. Can't seem to keep up with the demand.

I've got the VP26's just now and they're really good. Getting the VP312's for something different.

Damn, so I missed it!

I've thought about building a couple of VP26 too (already have 4 312's). Maybe hard to say but how do you think they compare?

No idea yet mate as the 312's were only ordered yesterday. I'll hopefully get to compare them soon.

The VP28's are supposed to be brilliant because of the two gain stages.