The Doors

Manowarriors

New Metal Member
Oct 14, 2007
Thought it would be interesting to see what peoples favorite Doors album was. Mine would have to be the S/T or Strange Days, they have this kind of energy to them that none of the other albums have.

I think waiting 4 the sun is ma fav. album...but also strange day is amazing

x2
waiting for the sun is just amazing. this album is the best of this great band, it has great songs like unknown soldier or yes, the river knows, if you don't know this album, listent to it now

I have to go with "Morrison Hotel" it's a strong return to their "blues roots." "Soft Parade" contains a couple good songs, but the Vegas-lounge style song "Touch Me" was the Doors trying to incorporate something new and different to their sound. Just failed miserably imo. The Doors, at their foundation were a blues-based band.

By far one of my favorite bands of all-time. I like virtually everything they did. They're just such a perfect band. Fun to listen to, musically interesting, and lyrically meaningful.

I love all of their albums and have no want or need to choose a favorite. But traditionally my favorite has been LA Woman. Some of their strongest and most powerful cuts, plus some of the sickest blues-rock I've ever heard.

They haven't seemed to influenced much modern music. But I still like them.

I never liked the Doors and find them insignificant in the world of modern music

Well, they're one of those bands that is simply impossible to imitate (without just blatantly covering them). So that's why their influence is hard to see and/or less significant.

Sorry... they were on the radio when I was growing up and they were OK till I heard some Hendrix or Zeppelin. Their music was primitive as hell. Cheap chincy sounding keyboard with playing the level of a kindergardener. Drunkin babblings into a microphone, totally amature, beginning amature at that. Nope, cant say as though Ive heard anything remotely similiar, thank goodness

goin down to the roadhouse and get myself some beors
were gonna have a

real

good time

how profound

If Morrison wasnt good looking they never would have got off the ground.
they garnered further attention due to his live stage antics and the anti establishment movement at the time
Had he lived he would have become a disgrace
but he died and became a hero...

Sorry... they were on the radio when I was growing up and they were OK till I heard some Hendrix or Zeppelin. Their music was primitive as hell. Cheap chincy sounding keyboard with playing the level of a kindergardener. Drunkin babblings into a microphone, totally amature, beginning amature at that. Nope, cant say as though Ive heard anything remotely similiar, thank goodness

were gonna have a

real

good time

how profound

If Morrison wasnt good looking they never would have got off the ground.
they garnered further attention due to his live stage antics and the anti establishment movement at the time
Had he lived he would have become a disgrace
but he died and became a hero...

what the hell are you babbling about?

first off the keyboard playing is exceptional.
second you quoted a doors song that supposed to be a basic blues song, just so you can make them seem stupid. ever heard a profound blues lyric? me neither. go quote "break on through to the other side", "the end" or "unknown soldier" just to name a few songs with profound lyrics

hey I simply quoted their most over played swan song, they take care of the stupid all on their own. In the blues world that is some kinda profound lyric and probably why they broke on through to the other side in the world of domestics and selling concert tickets to luv struck girlies. I just dont like them, never did never will, the term acid rock sums it up.

hey I simply quoted their most over played swan song, they take care of the stupid all on their own. In the blues world that is some kinda profound lyric and probably why they broke on through to the other side in the world of domestics and selling concert tickets to luv struck girlies. I just dont like them, never did never will, the term acid rock sums it up.

thats not even their swan song. "la women", "riders on the storm" and "love me two times" all came out after that. i suppose you never heard "celebration of the lizard". that still makes no sense. they helped create punk and metal and were great musicians and wrote deep lyrics. i was never really into the doors until this year either. i use to think they were overrated until i deceided to buy all their studio albums this year

Let's break this down, shall we? Jim Morrison set the stage for a bands "front man." No one did it before him the way he did it, and no one today comes close. Ray Manzarek was a classically tranined pianist. John Densmore was a professional jazz drummer before he joined the Doors. Robbie Krieger was a dam fine guitar player who knew what he was doing. Listen to his work on "Spanish Caravan" on Waiting for the Sun. The Doors were major contributors to music, especially back in the 60's. No one had the stones to do and say what they did. The Doors represented what everyone else was thinking. Period.

:) I understand... but, I look at it this way

Jimi Hendrix set the stage for everything that followed, front man, show man, lyrics, aggressive guitar prowess

as far as front man is concerned, Mic Jagger and Eric Burden had been at it for years prior to Morrison, then what about Arthur Brown, James Brown, Roger Daltry, ect. ect. I just cant agree with you on that one.

I havent heard much of the Doors and usually turn them off when they pop up on the radio. So Im thinking if that guy was classically trained on piano, perhaps thats why his blues is the whitest blues I have ever heard. I do not like his sound either but that was the psycodelic period and they went for that tone.

Drumming, see I never liked their grooves so theres a problem right there.

If theres a single song someone could point me toward that showed musical prowess from the band I'd be more than happy to try to locate it and give a listen. I remember I was always amused by the song about "you can not petition the Lord with prayer" but I just cant recall how it actually sounded. Im pretty sure it was just more of the repetitive acid trip kind of stuff.

The movie about Morrison only further endorsed my feelings about the guy and music.

Still I fail to hear Doors influence on music and... metal? you got to be kidding me.

Theres very little pre Hendrix and pre Zeppelin music that I like and I will maintain till my last breath is drawn that they are the primary bands that turned the tides in rock, hardrock and blues rock.

I should appoligize for bashing the Doors on a Doors thread but I just dont get this "influenced" thing.