"The Drapery Falls" cover

My comments/criticism:

Drum track is very bad but ok i can ignore that.
The electric guitar in the intro needs some delay on it.
Work on your strumming rhythm in the "clean" part in the first half of the song.
Female vocals are horrible. Unbearable.
Watch that riff as soon as the growling kicks in - you don't have it quite right, i'm talking about the first 3 notes of the riff.
Growling vocals are quite good actually.
The riff at 7:23 sounds wrong, but I'm not sure how to play it myself so I can't correct you.

Fix the above and your cover will be great. For now it's not great. It's... alright. I give it a 5/10 overall. For god's sake, get rid of the female vocals.

Quite cool man. My comments - The female vocalist was a bit weird in the verse parts. Some parts in the ahh's and Pull me parts sounded cool and distant, don't know if that's just cos of the reverb you used or something. The growls were quite good, not on par with Mikaels by a long shot but that's unfair because it was quite a differnt style.

I think that you could have made it sound a lot better if you put more vibrato in there guitar - wise. Work on your vibrato man, milk it whenever you can.

What did you use to record? Effects, guitars and etc, I'd be interested to know. The best tone in there (or most close to the actual song) I think was the slide bits in the verse.

Overall nice, keep at it, I might record a drapery falls cover if i can be bothered soon, perhaps have a forum showcase with everyones versions. And do like what they did on the Katatonia boards, for other Opeth songs.

Anti-Everything said:
No offense, but your girlfriend sings like shit.

It's like Kidz Bop doing Opeth.

LMAO at the GF sounding like Kidz Bop

and on the guy bailing on the female vocals ahahaha

The MIDI drums/bass actually sound ok I think, those things are acceptable in homemade stuff. The lead during the intro sounds bad, mostly productionwise, add tons of delay and maybe some reverb on that one. Cleanguitars are ok. Sadly, the female vox sounds like crap. But the last word of the first the end of "Pull me down part" sounds pretty good both times, at least the first time (pain).

Somethings fucked with the changing of guitarsound after the first notes of the solo. Growling is executed pretty well.

It's always fun with this fan-cover thingies. Pretty interesting listening.

About the criticisms about things that sound different from the Opeth version, I'm not really going for an "exact" cover. I just wanted to have fun and cover a good song. So what if some parts come out differently?

OK, let me clear something up about the female vocals. The original guy bailed so I had to find somebody who could sing it and I didn't feel like going through all the shit of looking for someone online, so I asked Adrianne since she has a nice voice, plus she can sing well (she's in the choir here). She had heard the song many times before, but still, she basically had a day to prepare for this.

I think she did a great job, and even if all of the above didn't apply, it would still be good. Of course she's not doing it the same way as the original song, she's not Mikael! AND she's female! Never mind the fact that the song is also a bit low for her to sing, so she had to force some of the end notes a bit. Personally, I like the vocals, even if they're different from the original. So do you guys think she's a bad singer, or she just doesn't fit the song?

About the weird guitar sound on the solo and on the intro/outro, that's because a different person played them! :) NocturnalSun off the boards here wanted to collaborate so we did this one together. He doesn't have the same recording equipment as me, so it comes out sounding a bit strange.

Powerslave: Why do you say that the female vocals are unbearable? Are they off-key, or is the style wrong, or what? About the first growling riff, that's exactly the same as it is in the original, but I don't layer as many guitars as Opeth does, and also, they shift smoothly between the chords and I do it staccato, so it comes out clearer. The riff at 7:23, not much I can do about it, weird shit going on here. It would take some recording and doubletracking trickery to get it right.

Rejvk: Guitar: ESP EC-300 with EMG-HZs, recorded straight through a Digitech RPx400 pedal. Rhythm guitar on the "Scoop" preset with fudged EQ, second rhythm on "Rectify" preset, Solo on "Solo" preset, Verse leads on "Solo" preset, then with multi-tap delay and reverb applied in Cool Edit Pro 2. Vocals recorded with a Shure SM-58.

The growls had no effects other than a slight reverb... Clean vocals had the telephone bandpass effect on the verses, a bit of chorus, delay, and reverb on the "Pull me..." parts...and the "Aaahs" had a huge thick delay on them with quite a bit feedback. Made them sound great.

i think the cover is pretty good. The music and the growls are nice. The female singing isn't bad, it's just sounds a little out of place. but after a few times listening to it, the female vocals sounded better and better, so i guess one just has to get used to it.

http://xenge.emulation64.com/drap2.mp3

Me and my friend did this when we were wasted, We have never really tried to play the song before so ya its not exactly great. I am the drummer and i know its not perfect. No need to point out what I already know. Just figured I would post for the hell of it. Its only a drum and guitar track recorded on the shittiest pc mic in the world, i found it sounds best in winamp with the rock setting.

Ok, this is Shard's girlfriend. If you guys don't like my vocals, can you please tell me why? Constructive criticism is much more appreciated than random bashing.

listening now

intro seems a little 'too' clean if you understand. doesnt have the same atmosphere. but thats understandable.

bit where it changes at about 1:35 - guitars need a bit more sustain i think.

female vocals dont seem to 'flow' very well... they dont 'fade in' or out (especially out) if you get what i mean. they seem a bit 'abrupt' or rushed. its out of tune slightly in places on the low notes, but fair enough. i cant sing low notes. they dont seem powerful enough for the song. mikael really belts out those lines. the guitars kind of sound abrupt in the same way as well... they arent flowing as well as the original song.

the stopping to take a breath in some of the growling is bad as well, and they dont seem as powerful. you should really sing them loud and then turn it down.l

its too fast just after the first set of growls i think.

after the female vox come back in im noticing that they seem too low to fit the part. should be an octave higher i think. out of tune a bit again there as well.

this is all constructive critisism btw, im only pointing the bad points out. overall its a good cover.

i think the main thing with it is it just seem powerful enough. it hasnt got the same effect as the original.

DarkBodom: I'd add acoustic if I had an acoustic guitar with me ;)

Chris: Thanks for the comments. You're right about pretty much everything. Most of the problems you mention are because 1. The drum tab was shitty (and too fast). 2. This WAS kind of rushed. 3. Nobody can match Opeth :D

Shard said:
DarkBodom: I'd add acoustic if I had an acoustic guitar with me ;)

Chris: Thanks for the comments. You're right about pretty much everything. Most of the problems you mention are because 1. The drum tab was shitty (and too fast). 2. This WAS kind of rushed. 3. Nobody can match Opeth :D

Well I think it was a relatively good cover. I thought the female vocals were interesting, and to be honest, I really dont have anything bad about them to say. I made no attempt in my cover to make anything sound like the original. Just a pc mic and a drumset with crapy cymbals :OMG: and 2 shitty guitar petals with a jacked up chord. The only true complaint I have here is the transition where with the drums where he hits the hi-hat 2 times in a row a bunch of times was dramatically cut short. Other than that nice work. Mine is above in my previous post for anyone who missed it or have no idea what I am talking about. :headbang:

Sasij2004 said:
Well I think it was a relatively good cover. I thought the female vocals were interesting, and to be honest, I really dont have anything bad about them to say. I made no attempt in my cover to make anything sound like the original. Just a pc mic and a drumset with crapy cymbals :OMG: and 2 shitty guitar petals with a jacked up chord. The only true complaint I have here is the transition where with the drums where he hits the hi-hat 2 times in a row a bunch of times was dramatically cut short. Other than that nice work. Mine is above in my previous post for anyone who missed it or have no idea what I am talking about. :headbang:
do you mind if i add vocals to your track and upload it :)

I didn't think it was that bad...you should go back to the mix and fix the levels- maybe bounce some tracks over and lay a couple more to smooth things out- The girl's voice was interesting, some parts were good, some parts she was off key a bit...and maybe a little more feeling on her part, she appears to kind of just walk through the song-

good job-

The main problem with the female vocals is that they are too low and, to be honest, you are not Bjork, so don't go that low. The higher notes you sing (e.g. the "pull me down again" part) are much better. I suggest you try doing the low parts an octave higher. Plus, you sound off-key in the "aaah" part (3:54). Finally, it's painfully obvious you didn't actually practice at all for this, which isn't your fault. Especially in the way you don't hit notes, you slide up to notes, as if you're making up the vocal line as you go, for example at 7:19, "like AUTUMN leaves". I'd be interested to hear you do the vocals again with the above adjustments.

That cover wasn't that bad. At least you tried and had fun. The female vocals just didn't fit in well but I'm sure she's a great singer, especially if she's in choir.

I'm gonna try to work on a cover of 'The Drapery Falls' myself soon. I've been practicing that song, bit by bit for a while now. I've almost nailed down every riff, but I still need to work on the solo. I can kinda sing too, so I'm gonna work on vocals for the song, I just need to learn how to use my diaphragm and learn to conserve my breath.