"The Drapery Falls" cover

Opeth are very coverable indeed, you just need the time, skills and resources... something pretty rare in home-producers like alot of us, haha. But I've heard some alright covers in time gone by. Been very tempted to do my own from time to time.

ggggggu, come on. You have no ones respect...

I just have to say that doing a cover at home is great, and I don't understand why people bitch about it. I think more people should do this kind of stuff, cause it just shows that people are inspired by the band they are listening to. I can't play any instrument at all, but if I were to learn I would also cover Opeth... I mean, who wouldn't? I think it would be great to see more people doing this in the forums.

Keep it up! And let us know if you redo it with the adjustments posted here, that would be great to see!

Shard said:
This is Shard's girlfriend again. Look, since my vocals seem to be off key and extremely offensive to so many people, I apologize. Not willingly, but maybe it'll get you guys to talk about some other aspect. I think every post has mentioned the fact that I'm off key or sound bad. I get it.
HAHAHA that was fucking awosome, good response. I'm downloading the song right now, But the only thing I can say is, that is cool that you guys are covering songs and that your girlfriend is into metal helping you out, I wish my g/f liked metal. Hey for next time try covering April ethereal :headbang: .

Angelus said:
ggggggu, come on. You have no ones respect...

I just have to say that doing a cover at home is great, and I don't understand why people bitch about it. I think more people should do this kind of stuff, cause it just shows that people are inspired by the band they are listening to. I can't play any instrument at all, but if I were to learn I would also cover Opeth... I mean, who wouldn't? I think it would be great to see more people doing this in the forums.

Keep it up! And let us know if you redo it with the adjustments posted here, that would be great to see!

Word.

Chris Emerson: I resent the implication. I am not posting because Shard wants me to. He doesn't even know I've posted until he reads it on the forum, just like the rest of you. Insult my singing if you really really want to, but never ever EVER insult my boyfriend.

Criticisms:
You executed that riff around 5:30 (the heaviest riff on the planet) really well considering its difficulty.
I like the tone on the intro solo, however, it was real choppy and exectuted poorly, needs to be smoothed out. The tone change in the main solo is ghastly. That sounds like a $99 fender squire through a $30 amp. The female vocals are eh. You can tell she probably has a good voice when singing high, but most of them time it sounds like she's forcing it an octave too low. Don't worry dear, singing that low is difficult for anyone, much less a choir singer;)
You need to smooth out a lot of the guitar parts, strumming rhythms and stuff especially in the beginning, and end. Transitions are a bit rusty but can be fixed.
I'd say either cover it exactly as is, or take a bit more artistic liscence next time and do your own version of it, seems to me like you got stuck somewhere in the middle.
I like your growls, I tried not to compare them to Mike's when listening but it's tough not to. You definitely have a talent for it, they sounded a bit more black metalish then prog death metal, maybe a bit less raspy and a little deeper to match Mike's, but it's good to have your own style. Out of curiousity, as a guitarist who aspires to vocals, how did you learn to growl? Any lessons you care to give would be awesome:)
All in all though, not bad, the only part I "hated" was the guitar tone on the solo.

I think some of you need to lighten up and ease off. If you were expecting perfection from something recorded in 3 days (it was 3 days, right?) by some opeth fans looking for something fun to do then you need to take a look at your expectations.

It's not bad at all. The biggest deal seems to be with the female vocals. I say, given the time she had, she did a good job. The lower notes seem to be strained, but she doesn't have a bad voice. I think it's just a little out of place sometimes. Still a good job.

The guitars aren't half bad either. My only complaints would be the lead work, especially the solo. It doesn't fit the flow of the song or the atmosphere too well. Still, the skill is there, the creation just needs a bit of work.

The vocals i have no complaints about. Different style, but i like them.

All in all it was a good job. And i think people need to remember that this was probably just a bit of fun. These guys aren't looking for any prizes or anything. They covered a song by one of their favourite bands for a bit of fun. I think it's really cool!

This is the first Opeth cover I've ever heard (I'm a pretty fresh Opeth fan) and I think it's pretty good as far as home made stuff goes. The female vocals aren't bad I think. They sound a lot different from the original which is fine by me.

And hey I live on campus here at UCSB, it's cool to know there are a few more Opeth fans here.

Haha, I wish. I tried to start playing the guitar a few months ago, and basically I haven't played since. I know how to play about 7 different notes. Although I do have a friend who knows a few Opeth riffs who would probably be happy to jam with you. Erm, message me or something... I dunno.

Hey were you by any chance the guy that saw me wearing an Opeth shirt and asked if I wanted to see them in Anaheim?

Shard said:
Chris Emerson: I resent the implication. I am not posting because Shard wants me to. He doesn't even know I've posted until he reads it on the forum, just like the rest of you. Insult my singing if you really really want to, but never ever EVER insult my boyfriend.
where did i ever insult your boyfriend?

The female vocals could fit. The problem is that they are not in key most of the time. If she would practise more and sing along with the cd, I'm sure that she would get it right.

Overall, pretty good cover. I enjoyed most of it!