"The Drapery Falls" cover

Clean vocals sounded zombie/druggie like. Growls were good. Guitar sounded okay, but there's definitely room for improvement. This is from a listener point of view. Thanks for the listen. :)

Powerslave: Thanks for the comments, that's much better than saying the vox are just "unbearable" :) We might redo some parts, but this project has taken so long...and it's already behind my planned deadline, so it'll probably stay the way it is. Plus you are being a bit nitpicky ;) It's good though, nitpickiness is helpful (if explained)

-Tim

Alright, well Nocturnal's parts are really bad. Production-wise his guitar sounds like total shit, plus he doesn't even play the first lead part correctly. I'm not sure what the deal is with the solo, but it sounds like somebody did the lead in, then someone else took over with drastically different (and much worse tone)... it could've been good if the tone from the lead-in was kept and a 'good' solo played... no offense, but I really didn't like that improvised one.

The rhythm guitars and all that are generally well done, props to that, nothing else to mention really.

The clean vocals are really bad. Reason being is that she seems to strain her voice on the low parts like she's trying to sludge through them. The mid-high parts are OK, but as soon as vocal acrobatics such as vibratos become involved, she goes very out of key.

The production isn't too bad either... the main 'verse' with the acoustic guitar and 'slide lead guitar' came off sounding very well I think. Some of the lead parts (I think mainly Nocturnal's) sound really bad, such as the intro and the improvised solo. Also I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something about the low-end of this song... it doesnt quite sound right... maybe its the fake bass and drums, but there's definately something a tad amiss... kind of makes it sound like Camel covering Opeth as Katabasis first said :).

7/10 coz I know how hard making a cover can be. Good work, generally.

ggggggu said:
That is moronic.

you, my friend are the fucking moron. shut the fuck up. if your just here to be an utter wanker, then i'm sure everyone would prefer if you just fucked off.

What is moronic about suggesting that you try and do somethign like our friend Shard here? if you do, and you can equal the standard or better it, i will then totally back down. but untill then. fuck you

KevyCanavan said:
you, my friend are the fucking moron. shut the fuck up. if your just here to be an utter wanker, then i'm sure everyone would prefer if you just fucked off.

What is moronic about suggesting that you try and do somethign like our friend Shard here? if you do, and you can equal the standard or better it, i will then totally back down. but untill then. fuck you
Still moronic.

Think about what you wrote.

no ggggggu, Kevy is right....you are a prick. i understand that you live a sheltered life and need attention. most of the time i hold myself back, but today i will tell you what you want to hear....fuck you.

btw....i thought the cover was pretty good...i do agree, that the female vocals just dont fit...not saying that you g/f has a bad voice....they just don't fit.

Oh my, with all respect, this hurts my ears so bad. I've heard a much better cover some time ago... I don't wanna be a bitch eh, it's just my very honest opinion. And it's not like I would do it better hmm :)
The growls are the only good thing.

JoeVice said:
no ggggggu, Kevy is right....you are a prick. i understand that you live a sheltered life and need attention. most of the time i hold myself back, but today i will tell you what you want to hear....fuck you.
Mark said:
Please note, this forum is for Opeth discussion only. Flame wars, personal attacks, and other disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated - anyone wishing to push these limits may well find their account suspended without notice.

dude you jsut want to hear what YOU want to hear.. and now what we have to say..

heres some constructive comments...

This song in my opinion is one of their best songs.. and you ruined it.

by.. trying to cover opeth.. masters of metal... you.. you're just a primate

what the hell is going on in the background with some hissing?

and than the voices come in!!!! KIDZ BOP!! dude.. totally kidz bop..

and later the growls they dont sound natural like they should.. they sound to forced..

next time think small with what you have.. since you have a keyboard, girls vocals.. and some guitars.. why not make some depeche mode type cover of opeth.. think creative just not a straight out port that sounds lame..

think smaller.. think creative

Shard don't listen to these jerk offs, you did a damn good job for just messing around. I agree that the female vocals were off key in parts and were too low, but hey, she tried.

As for foulwing and gggggggu, they can go screw themselves.

foulwing: Look, no offense, but have some perspective man. Music is my hobby...I've only been playing guitar for two years, and I am not a professional.

" what the hell is going on in the background with some hissing?"

Um...perhaps it's due to the fact that I don't have professional recording equipment?

The rest of your criticsm seems to do with vocals as you don't mention anything about my guitar sound...Look, not many people can sing as beautifully as Mikael. I could see expecting a better job if a real band covered Opeth, but I'm just a guy sitting in my college dorm room fucking around.

" next time think small with what you have.."

What the hell kind of advice is that? I want to emulate the bands I like, that's what covers are for...it's fun to try and duplicate the song! I'm not going to simplify everything just because I'm not good enough.

"think creative just not a straight out port that sounds lame.. "

Creativity has nothing to do with this. Covers require very little creativity no matter what you do unless you have to adapt an instrument to play as another instrument.

" This song in my opinion is one of their best songs.. and you ruined it."

You're taking this way too seriously, dude. This song took me about a 3 days to do total. If I wanted perfection, I'd try harder, but that wouldn't be as fun.

Have a nice day. :)

This is Shard's girlfriend again. Look, since my vocals seem to be off key and extremely offensive to so many people, I apologize. Not willingly, but maybe it'll get you guys to talk about some other aspect. I think every post has mentioned the fact that I'm off key or sound bad. I get it.

I think some people are a tad too centric around the bad aspects of the cover. It's not like its beyond redemption OR that he took his whole life trying to do it or anything. It's just a cover done at home, and for that, it does its job pretty well, coz I think all the parts flow together as smoothly as the original song, and that's pretty hard to do, especially if you cut and paste riffs like many of us do when we record.

One more thing about the growled vocals. If you ever think about re-mixing this cover or whatever, you might think about putting the growls down just a tad little bit and adding a bit of reverb or delay of sorts to them... Mikael seems to do a similar thing in the studio, and it would give the cover a more 'airy' sound like the actual song.

Its by no means a terrible cover. As Moonlapse said the transitions are very smooth. Only problem is Drapery Falls had been covered soooo many time its got boring. Try covering a Still Life song. That should be fun :)

foulwing, I disagree with you alot, it's obvious that you don't play an instrument, since you say that you "cannot cover opeth, CAUSE THEIR GODLIKE MAN AND WE CANT HAVE ANOTHER BAND PLAYING THEM, YES MIKAEL HATES PEOPLE COVERING THEM, AND OPETH DOES NEVER DO COVERING THEMSELF"

Stop beeing silly.

estimate said:
foulwing, I disagree with you alot, it's obvious that you don't play an instrument, since you say that you "cannot cover opeth, CAUSE THEIR GODLIKE MAN AND WE CANT HAVE ANOTHER BAND PLAYING THEM, YES MIKAEL HATES PEOPLE COVERING THEM, AND OPETH DOES NEVER DO COVERING THEMSELF"

Stop beeing silly.

WOW Hold on.. when did i say:

.."CAUSE THEIR GODLIKE MAN AND WE CANT HAVE ANOTHER BAND PLAYING THEM, YES MIKAEL HATES PEOPLE COVERING THEM, AND OPETH DOES NEVER DO COVERING THEMSELF""

ahaha...

yeah and i do play guitar.. poorly but i do.. since i said that.. i wont try to cover opeth anytime soon.