The Edge of Forever

The song and album are, by far, the best things that the band has done. All of these "new' fans should be required to listen to the older material as well. What they are missing out on is far too good and important.

TEOF is a great song and id love to see it live. and as most bands pull a song or 2 out from each cd, when they headline i dont see how it would kill them to pull this one out as its the best song from that cd. but i wont cry if they dont do it. and they have played some damnation game tunes live. i seen them play dressed to kill and the damnation game in NJ. so there :p and id be all for a full V performance but thats just me. ill be happy to see them live and play anything again once this new cd finally comes out. its almost like waitin for chinese democracy (tho i dont really care about that one)

MrFast said:
I find new bands I like all the time on www.progulus.com . They have thousands of albums on that site and you get to request anything you want :D People are really friendly there too. The best part? Online radio is legal :D

The new Adagio album is on the playlist too so if you haven't bought it or have to wait for the american release, it's in constant rotation almost.

I like "prog rock and metal" even more!

=> http://www.live365.com/stations/progman55

1. Their live-album is called "live on THE EDGE OF FOREVER", so I can't understand why they didn't play this song...

2. They should play "SHADES OF GREY", with Russell Allen! That would be awesome.

Moonchild141 said:
id love to see it live.

yeah but usually bands stink live (no offense to symhony X, but with all that's going in their songs, itd be really hard to capture the effect)

plus slower songs dont sound real good live either.

Prismatic Sphere said:
The Edge Of Forever is a perfect song. So many beautiful segues and sublime melodies. Romeo and Pinnella really hit the nail on the head with this one. It SHOULD be a live staple.

I find that all members do a perfect job on this song, actually.

The song structure itself is pretty original, with a side of amazingness.

for me The Edge Of Forever very intrest composutuon. The contrasts of thin and lyrically labyrinths of keyboard parties especialy piano mixed with acustic guitar and fat semi-histerical guitar distortion. The "brave" tonal modulation: c-minor - a-flat-minor - e-flat-minor - e-minor lake in late romanticism music and the academical music of ХХ сentury - Methner, Myaskowsky, Sibelius... This modulaton is in 1th pre-chorus part.
One more beautiful and bright element - the harmonical variations of the melodical ostinato in the beginning.
I wrote review of Damnation Game album, but it written Russian and for me is very difficult to translate it in english as you can see... I'm sorrow.
But who who knows russian, welcome to the www.darkside.ru and www.livejournal.com/keat_tikhones82

I think that it would be a great song live if they ever release a DVD. I mean if they filmed a live concert, i'm sure all the hardcore fans that were there since the Rod Tyler days would buy tickets without second thought. It would be nice to hear my favorite's from the first two albums, which is pretty much everyone elses favorites, and if they made a setlist of them it would look like...

Masquerade 4 min 30 sec
Absinthe and Rue 7 min
Damnation Game 4 min 30 sec
Edge of Forever 9 min
ENCORE: Winter's Dream 1 & 2 :) 9 min

That's a 35 minutes set-list right there, and it would be nice if they played it 4 the fan club or something.

I wouldn't expect to hear Edge of Forever live, really...ever.

The band does not think the song "gels" onstage. Also, they would rather present newer material with a similar emotional aesthetic than delve into an album that never really meant much to the band.

Not my words, but I get it.

That said: The Edge of Forever is an awesome song!

I enjoy this song a lot.

proulxski's definition of the song is pretty good, but I like to think of it as a guy who loved a girl, but then killed her, and now regrets it and it sad about it. Make any sense? loll

I just like the title. The Edge of Forever. Forever isn't a place! How can it have an edge?! I'm smart. The earth is flat.

I'm bored, so I'm going to break this song down for all of you to enjoy, since my opinion matters to everyone.

0:00 Intro
Beautiful acoustic phrase here; I love how the bass provides the chord changes. Romeo's funky chords are great, too. Love when the distortion kicks in and the piano/guitar switch off playing the main theme.

1:37 1st Verse
Ethereal vocals, and GREAT bass run.

2:03 Interlude & Solos
This is when it picks up. Great solos, although I don't really like the backing rhythm riffs.

3:16 Instrumental Chorus
Here, a version of the chorus is played with a piano lead, hinting at the greatness to come.

3:30 2nd Verse
Possibly my favorite part of the whole song. Russ's backing vocals are excellent here, providing a haunting atmosphere on top of the guitar/piano arpeggios. Great bass line, too.

4:41 3rd Verse
The backing vocals here are among Symphony X's finest. Such an interesting harmony!

5:05 Guitar Solo
A nice, simple solo in which MJR refrains from his crazy tapping stuff. Like a lot of Romeo's slower leads, it has a "soaring in the clouds" feel that I love.

5:30 Awesome Guitar/Bass Run
A signature Symphony X guitar-and-bass tapping run where the drums and keyboard remain silent. There's at least one of them on every album, and I never tire of them. Neither should you.

5:32, 6:45, 8:04 Chorus
One of Symphony X's strongest choruses. The vocals are full of feeling, and even though the riff contains simple natural minor tail ends (which is unusual for Symphony X), it still kicks ass. Everything is synched up in an old-school Metallica kind of way; the kick drum follows the heavy palm mutes and creates heavy beauty.

5:57 Interlude
The bass lead from the intro returns with all its happy glory.

6:13 4th Verse
A heavier version of the 2nd verse where the guitar doubles the original bass line. Lots of feeling in Russ's voice here.

7:10 Guitar Solo
Nice solo, but it's my least favorite part of the song due to the boring-ass backing rhythm riff. A good rhythm riff under a solo is just as (if not more) important to me as the solo itself. Chugging 16th notes on one note just doesn't do it for me.

8:27 Outro
Simple ending, restating the main theme and ending with a wicked double-bass fill.

I think the song structure is just so much more prog than anything on the damnation game. This song showed off the composition skills of SX before they wrote DWOT (their best album to date) and gave us a taste of what was to come. Still, I find it strange that almost all song on DG are less than 5 minutes, considering that even the horrendous first album had 12 an 7 minutes songs. Anyway, Michael Romeo's tone on this album has a very special woody sort of resonance to it. Some ppl say it has a distant sound to, but I like it because it kinda reminds me of sound drifting through the tops of the tree's, soaring above the forest and into the clouds. I actually figured out his tone on this album (and the previous ones) by using mic's about 8 inches away from my cabinet, and then increasing the volume of the track with my software. This song rules, and I think it's better than the Accolade1+2, TTLG, PL, rediscovery 1+2, but Candlelight Fantasia is the only song that comes close to this one.