The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomansvally

Scandinavian...
Dec 21, 2005
South-Norway
Post your thoughts and opinions about Enslaved, this Norwegian Progressive-Extreme Metal band!:cool:

*Any opinions about their new album?
*Favourite albums?
*Favourite songs?
*What's great about them and what's not?
*Attended any gigs, how about it?

Enslaved fans are welcomed!

New album is fucking brilliant although Below the Lights is still my favourite.

Just bought Ruun, terrific album. Below the Lights is probably still my favorite too, but this album is growing on me by the day.

IMO the most brilliant metal band coming from Norway and definitely one of my all-time favorite. Whatever they do, there's just something totally awe-inspiring about their music.

Any opinions about their new album?
Ruun doesn't disappoint that's for sure. I think they wrote some of their strongest material to date, but alas, some of their weakest too. Personally, I think it's an improvement over Below the Lights, but not quite as good as ISA. Make no mistake though, Ruun is absolutely brilliant.

Favourite albums?
Monumention

*Favourite songs?
Storre Enn tid - Tyngre Enn Natt
The Voices
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Neogenesis
Fusion of Sense and Earth

Enslaved are just superb musicians. For me, I have to go with "Below the Lights" such great guitar work. "Runn" is also a great slab. Also like "Frost"

A few wks ago I heard Path to Vanir & decided to pick up the album.

Listened to it a few x's & thought it was ok, but nothing amazing. I thought there was 1 great track & a bunch of ok-borderline fillers

Maybe a 6 out of 10...

isa has become my favorite (end of neogenesis just pwns everything), but ruun is definitly their most diverse album, also the album that nfu forced upon my reluctant ears that resulted in me eventually liking enslaved.

My favorite Enslaved album is Below The Lights as well. Monumension is one of my least favorite Enslaved albums, but one of their best songs is featured on that album. I'm talkin' about "The Voices".

By the way, I saw Enslaved live last saturday. They played through the whole RUUN almost entirely instrumental but not in chronological order. They re-arranged stuff. They did the soundtrack on a silent film "Terje Vigen" from 1917 live. Check this page for pictures:

http://www.heavymetal.no/show.article.asp?menuid=&artid=4547

And if you have'nt seen their latest music video "Path to Vanir"
Please check this out: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&n=2&videoid=793131302

This is an interveiw from the guys about the then forthcoming show, from about one month ago:

Also, in June Enslaved will be performing the music for the Victor Sjorstrom film “Terje Vigen” at the Norwegian film festival. Could you give a little background about the film and how you got the job?
"Yeah, about the film first. It’s based on a poem by a Norwegian poet called Henrik Ibsen who is quite famous outside Norway in both Europe and America. He wrote a poem called “Terje Vigen” which is a heroic tale that takes place in the 1800s when there was a conflict that was very important and still very much talked about in Norway. In those days Norway was ruled by the Danish, more or less occupied by Denmark. So Norway was the victim of larger politics, when Denmark got into a trade conflict with England, which was responded to by putting up a blockade of ships going along the Norwegian coast and actually basing their whole action on starving the population. So that led a lot of famine and desperation, and so Ibsen wrote a poem to honor a hero from that era, a guy Terje Vigen, a seaman who spent many many nights rowing in his little wooden boat from Norway to Denmark that must have been something like twelve or thirteen hours rowing each way, and bringing food back to the coast land. And being shot at a lot but managed to escape by some miracle when the English were trying to capture him. So Ibsen wrote this tale about his entire life actually and it’s a very long tale and Sjorstrom made this silent movie in 1917 to visualize the poem. It’s a very dramatic and very dark movie, which I guess all silent movies are because of their whole aesthetic. But this one has some very powerful things in it. It has been put to music a couple of times before by classical composers, but the film festival decided to do something very radical and they actually approached us as we were finishing the mixing “Ruun” because they had heard about the band and knew that we were working with some visual effects at live shows before and they asked to hear some samples of the new album, just the instrumentals. And they heard it and thought it fit perfectly, and we thought that this is something we haven’t done, and we can only learn from it. It’s going to be outdoors, and it’s going to be nice, and strange."

The whole interview: http://www.tartareandesire.com/interviews/enslaved1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.