The Football (Soccer) thread

SkeletonWitch

Morphine Child
May 30, 2010
Beirut, Lebanon
The Champions League's group stage finally ended.

Some thoughts on it :

CSKA Moscow are no joke. Though they lack flashy names, but they are tactically very solid. They are kinda slow, and take their time to build up their attack, but occasionally their south american players show some flashes of genius.

Bayern Munich's defense is still weak. On the other hand, I dare call their offense the best in this CL campaign. Whereas Messi scored 6 goals against teams Victoria Pilzen and Bate Borisov, Gomez bagged the same amount against Man City and Napoli. Real Madrid hasn't had a real challenger either, as Lyon is in their weakest form since years. It would be interesting to see a Bayern - Barca or Bayern - Real Madrid final, but it's still too early to talk about that.

Inter Milan are a joke. AC Milan, on the other hand, can be scary at times, but their problem is inconsistency.

I'd be surprised if either Arsenal or Chelsea makes it to the semis.

=====

Concerning the EPL, Man Shitty are only leading because of myriad of crises that Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool are suffering from. When City played Bayern and Napoli, they got their asses handed to them.

=====

Serie A is more interesting this year than the last couple of years.

=====

I don't watch a lot of the French Ligue 1 matches, but I hope Paris Saint Germain won't get any titles.

====

Bundesliga is interesting, as it has always been. Re-emerging rivalry between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund makes things even more interesting.

====

I'm rooting for Real Madrid this year in La Liga. It's not that I dislike Barca, but I'm annoyed by their generally arrogant and stupid fans.

Inter Milan are a joke. AC Milan, on the other hand, can be scary at times, but their problem is inconsistency.

Serie A is more interesting this year than the last couple of years.

I agree about AC Milan, being a big fan of them myself. Serie A has been amazing for 3 years straight though. I've been trying to get into the Premier League but I simply don't have a team/player to root for. La Liga is just a complete waste of time IMO, I mean unless you're the kind of guy that wants no suspense in your football and just want to watch your superman club destroy 18 other clubs year in and year out. Props to supporters of the smaller clubs, but do these supporters honestly exist outside of Spain?

I never cared for Serie A, except for their classic matches involving Milan, Inter and Juventus. It's a boring league imo.

La Liga is a joke. There's only two interesting matches the whole season (Real Madrid v Barcelona and Barcelona v Real Madrid) :lol:

The Premier League is interesting. A lot more competition going on, great players, beautiful stadiums. I'm a Chelsea fan myself.

The Champions League is great once the groups stage is over. Now We're going to have great matches.

Anyone cares about Fifa's World Clubs Championship? It's just started and there's a brazilian team playing (Santos FC), which I hope will soon enough be crushed by Barcelona. Anyway, it's a good chance for you guys to check two of our best new players in action (Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso).

Anyway, it's a good chance for you guys to check two of our best new players in action (Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso).

They're quite well publicized. Also notable is Sao Paolo's Lucas.

Props to supporters of the smaller clubs, but do these supporters honestly exist outside of Spain?

Mostly Villareal, Valencia, and Atletico Madrid fans. But their fanbase outside of Spain is marginal when compared to the two juggernauts.

It's also noteworthy that Barca's dominance looks like it's not going to fade away anytime soon. Some of their young talent is very impressive, especially Thiago Alcantara and Quenca. The team's reliance on La Masia has proven to be a successful bet/investment.

La Liga is a joke. There's only two interesting matches the whole season (Real Madrid v Barcelona and Barcelona v Real Madrid) :lol:

Don't agree. A lot of smaller teams really bring it vs. Barca and Real. Of course, the league does always come down to two teams, but that's cuz they're the best two teams in the world. Valencia and Villareal usually give Barca/ Real a good fight. And honestly, even when its a blowout, its usually beautiful to watch because Real and Barca are such class teams.

Speaking of which, whose watching the classico tomorrow. Interesting matchup. As far as the table goes, Barca needs it more, but psychologically Real really needs to beat Barca at home.

Haven't had a chance to watch as much Budesliga as a would have liked because of school and travel, but its looking like it will give us the best title race this year.

Inter Milan are no joke. The're not performing well beacuse they're just using their youth and inexperienced players instead of the the older ones because it seems those older players, that won the Treble with Mourinho, are finished, the lack motivation. They are in a rebuilding stage, just like Milan and Juventus were in the last couple years when inter were dominating. They're going to buy some youth players in the January transfer and in a couple years they'll be competitive gain.

r16i.png

AC Milan / Arsenal, and Napoli / Chelsea are the matches to watch.

Inter Milan and Real Madrid might be in for a nasty surprise.

Barcelona, Lyon, and Bayern are already in the quarter finals (anything can happen in football, though).

Surely Napoli shouldn't be much of an issue for Chelsea. As for Arsenal, they shall be thoroughly spanked by AC Milan.

Also, how could you complain about Man United's position in Group C? They probably had the easiest group of them all and they couldn't even finish in second place.

Real Madrid won't have a hard time as well. They will probably crush the russians twice. There's a huge difference between the two sides.

I'm anticipating tomorrow's match in Japan. Go Barca!!!!

Arsenal got their asses handed to them by AC Milan.

Though Barcelona have won 3 - 1 against Leverkusen, if they keep on playing like that, they'll be having trouble against the big boys.

Alright, last nights boring matches shall promptly be made up for with the AC Milan game tonight. I'm not expecting us to beat Barca, but I really hope we can at least tie so that the second leg will be more intense. Zlatan is in great form right now and I'm hoping for some serious Ibracadabra!