The Forest Petition

Jude said:
I have a question.

Everyone seems to associate Opeth's music with forest and winter and night, but why? I do it myself and I have no clue why, or when it started. It's not like THAT many of their songs have references to forests or whatever.

Any insights?

I guess the music seems to bring visions of nature and fantasy, it's got that medieval kinda folk aspect to it - which I would definitley associate with nature. And then you go and see pictures of them standing out in a forest or somewhere and they just look like they belong. I remember seeing one particular picture and just thinking.. .fuck yeah! this is a nature band! (haha if "nature band" makes any sense!)

That's what does it for me anyway. Just a fantasy thing. Maybe someone else can explain it better..

^ also, nothing in their music makes any association to modern life. I think Kenneth explained it well in the "keystone" thread. They have an antique and rustic quality.

Braighs said:
^ also, nothing in their music makes any association to modern life. I think Kenneth explained it well in the "keystone" thread. They have an antique and rustic quality.

That's a good point, even the lyrics have that poetic well thought out can't-find-the-word-for-it (medieval?) approach. When you look at the concept of Still Life for example, you don't really get the impression of a modern day sort of scenario.

i think thats awesome... somehow, their music wouldnt be so calming and relaxing if it were written about the modern world. they take us to a world we dont know and i think thats part of their magic: they create their own little place for us to wallow!

I'll sign the petition...It would be very fitting.

And let the band be in charge of their own video this time *shakes fist*

Say no to toilet snakes...and zorro

Opeth should do a video floating around in space suits. Or a steel factory with lots of sweaty men, doesn't get more metal than that.

BRI said:
Opeth should do a video floating around in space suits. Or a steel factory with lots of sweaty men, doesn't get more metal than that.

o_O

hmm.

I think...let's just stick with forests for now, m'kay?