The Funeral Portrait and gritting your teeth

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
OK - I just finished my scorpion bowl while waiting for my chinese food, and have had a rather crappy day/week/month/year.

I enter the car with that fuzzy depressed feeling, looking for something to change it. I decide to put on The Funeral Portrait - what a choice. By the time I got home, I felt like Rocky at the top of the stairs. Had that "gritting your teeth" feeling, all pumped up and ready to go.

I can now say it is my #1 song when I need a pick-me-up - 8:00+ minutes of emotion. Not too many lengthy songs that totally entrap you (compared to other non-Opeth songs)!

haha,

sounds to me you've had an "opethic epiphany" I get those every now and then about certain songs.

btw, what the heck is a "scorpion bowl"?

cheers.

One of the more powerful concoctions found in a chinese restaurant.

Tung Shing Dragon Scorpion Bowl
Type:punch
Ingredients:
3 oz. Grenadine
3 oz. Pineapple Juice
3 oz. Orange Juice
2 oz. Vodka
2 oz. Gin
2 oz. Rum
1 oz. Bacardi 151 Proof Rum

Funeral Portrait has probably always been my favorite track off of Bwp! I love that song, such energy and emotion (its Opeth duh!) Especially at the end with the vocal harmonies singing "And you are just like them all, Stained by the names of fathers, I'm greeting my downward fall, Leaving the throes to others" AAAHHHH get goose bumps just thinking about it! :D

Why not have a potentially suicidal cocktail while listening to Opeth? At least you'll have great music running through your head when you pass out. Which reminds me of the Opethian drinking game I wrote rules for in the "how great is this band thread".

I just got the Still Life album and was listening to it last night, I heard the first 3 tracks so I decided to listen to the rest, I was also in that depressed mood when about 45 seconds into the song Moonlapse Vertigo my whole body was a goose bump, from the tip of my head down to my knees, I was laying there with my eyes closed and when that riff ended I opened them a tear came out of my left eye.

Juggie, that is what I love about Opeth. What other music can do that? I know there is other blackmetal bands capable of such emotion, but just think of all the poor people who actually think Britney Spears or N'Sync are artists, there is so much more to music than "sounding good" or having a certain image (like Marilyn Manson). My friends listen to rap and they don't understand that rap isn't the same as what I listen to, as in it's not as artistic or deep. It's too bad more people don't listen to Opeth (although I mean actually listen to it, not just buy the CD's and wear Opeth t-shirts because it's some fad that everyone else does, like Limp Bizkit, you get what i'm trying to say.)

metalman: I totally know what you mean. Sometimes a song just suddenly *speaks* to you. Maybe it's the alcohol, maybe it's the adrenaline.. maybe it's the fat of an unbaptized child.. But the song takes on greater properties than it would otherwise have. And now it'll stay with you forever. I know I'll always have Opeth in mind. It's one of the few bands that will stick with me.

on a side note:

One thing I noticed recently, before I started listening to Orchid a lot more.. I thought that I'd hardly listened to it, and was pretty sure that it hadn't gotten a lot of play. So I started to, and I knew every song, riff for riff. It just STICKS and chews and melts into you. I'd listen to it now if I didn't have a friend passed in the next room ;)

Heck, I think it's the best too. Strange though, when I first got BWP it was the only song I thought could have been a bit so-so, but how things have changed... It's a wicked song, really twisted imagery both in music and the lyrics.

The ending of that song is surely the highlight of the album! The essence of Opeth is captured in those chords.

Oyo, I know what your saying, all my friends like rap and here I come wearing my opeth shirt :D They say the music I listen to is just pointless noise But im starting to understand opeth ist more than even music.

Lol.. isn't it kind of funny they say Opeth is pointless noise, when think of this: A filthy rich rapper who grew up in the suburbs TALKING in rhyme about the "opression of his people" and "ghetto life" while a synthesizer plays the same bass beat over and over, I never let off my friends for liking rap. It annoys me further that they say "you'd like it if you tried it" They don't realize it's not a matter of taste, Opeth is just so much more emotional and artistic, there's no way I could go and listen to such inferior music.

Originally posted by Juggie
I just got the Still Life album and was listening to it last night, I heard the first 3 tracks so I decided to listen to the rest, I was also in that depressed mood when about 45 seconds into the song Moonlapse Vertigo my whole body was a goose bump, from the tip of my head down to my knees, I was laying there with my eyes closed and when that riff ended I opened them a tear came out of my left eye.

wow! :) Reading that gave me cold shivers and goose-bumps! Thanks!

Satori