The Funeral Portrait

DrX

Get off my lawn
Sep 10, 2001
Upstate Va
www.yahoo.com
Why have we not yet had a thread on this awesome song? I never cease to be amazed by it, especially the last minute or so, including the fade out. It sounds to me like something Mozart might have composed if he ever picked up an electric guitar. This was the first Opeth song I ever heard and it immediately drew me in. Before hearing it, I laughed when I heard those death vocals. But this time, they seemed to fit, especially when I heard those clean vocals at the end, which sound all the more clean after the death ones. When I bought the CD, I found that there were even a few better songs. Does anyone know any other songs or bands that follow that symphonic style in this song?

I'm sorry to be a bitch here, especially to someone who lives near me. ;) But we did have a thread on this song, and quite a ferocious argument ensued. Some people love this song -- some people hate this song. I'm in the latter category. I think it's the least symphonic (by that, I think you mean reminiscent of classical shape and structure) Opeth song, as it's so monotonous. It's definitely the odd song out for Opeth.

I agree with DrX.

AND WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ANYBODY ANSWER MY QUESTION ABOUT THIS GOD DAMNED SONG????????????:mad:

I wanted to know what was being said under the second clean vocal...thing....the "And you are just like them all" thing. When they say that for the second time, someone says something under it and I want to know what it is!

The Funeral Portrait I love, it's the least symphonic (or better to say, polyphonic) song on BWP, but after a set of 4 highly structured and composed pieces, its "rocking-out" attitude is refreshing. I see it as a sort of chaotic disguise for the musical story, where the significant lines retreat to the background, and only reappear as hints within certain parts of the song, as signs of what is to come in the future; a foreshadowing of the conclusion (the title track).:D

D Mullholand

ok ok, maybe I missed the first thread on this, fine. But I am still wondering about the lyrics. Someone on amazon said it has some clever lyrics, and I am not sure why.

I dont understand why someone couldnt have liked this song. Why would opeth put this song in their album if it was bad? All their songs are great, i cant name any bad opeth songs.

Anyway, i learned this whole damn song on guitar: i love playing it. Every riff gets better and better, and the last riff is definately a good outro.

I, personally, don't like the song as much as anything else on any of the previous albums. Bold statement, but the truth. I don't think it's really symphonic at all, it's more of a traditional heavy rock song...somehting that you could hear on the radio now. It's full of simple, bold guitar riffs, not the complex layer of sounds found in songs like Advent that would make it symphonic.

Not going to say Opeth didn't do a great job on it, not going to say it's a bad song, but it's not as great as something like Apostle In Triumph...

Morgan

Some people sure miss out on a lot by being way to elitist... :rolleyes:
but most appreciate the beauty of this song :)

Originally posted by Lina
I'm sorry to be a bitch here, especially to someone who lives near me. ;) But we did have a thread on this song, and quite a ferocious argument ensued. Some people love this song -- some people hate this song. I'm in the latter category. I think it's the least symphonic (by that, I think you mean reminiscent of classical shape and structure) Opeth song, as it's so monotonous. It's definitely the odd song out for Opeth.

If what I am about to say is wrong I may get a bollocking for it, but here goes anyway...

The Funeral Portrait? Monotonous? Not more so than most other songs on BWP. And surely Dirge For November is the most monotonous? :confused:

OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE MOST EMBARASSING THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME ON THE BOARD.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY.

I AM confusing Funeral Portrait with Dirge for November!!!!! I'm so embarassed. :cry: :cry:

*runs away in shame*

REALX! :D

Easy mistake to make... The FUNERAL Portrait, Dirge For November is about a funeral (probably). Apology accepted! :D

We've all done it before... like the time I judged Still Life after one day. Definitely not my finest hour.

:D

funeral portrait reminds me alot of demon of the fall: both are just awesome songs, but not the most technical or emotional. and akerfeldt's vocals on funeral portrait are AWESOME. perfect example of growling done right.

i've got a question though, what is the entire album of BWP about? it seems like alot of the lyrics relate with eachother, but i could just be overanalysing it.

i love the first 2 mins the best, great song. i played it a lot during my exams study leave when no one was at home on very very loud, after just one song my ears were ringing, so thats how loud i was playing it, on my extra powerful amp, had to open the windows too and let the whole area hear it/ :D

All of Blackwater Park was written without a story in mind, just with a theme of generally how much Akerfeldt hates humanity. He just wanted it to be kinda depressing and moody