The 'geek/nerd/anime/comics/etc.' thread

3D is completely useless if you ask me. I've seen 3 or 4 new 3D films by now, and I have yet to see a single one where the 3D could be considered a) an improvement, and b) even justified... The films were A Christmas Carol, Avatar, Alice and Prometheus.

I think it's kind of neat, but it feels excessive. Like they really want to show off the 3d stuff, so they insert random shit into the camera shot which is more distracting than helpful for perspective. It's quite stupid, really. Sometimes it's used very effectively and looks awesome, but sometimes.. man.

I still have to see a 3D movie. I'm really not into movies at all, so that's no wonder :)
I was thinking about seeing Avengers but noone was interested in going with me and I didn't feel like going alone.
Might see Spiderman though.

edit: how the hell did I end up in this thread!???

I still have to see a 3D movie. I'm really not into movies at all, so that's no wonder :)
I was thinking about seeing Avengers but noone was interested in going with me and I didn't feel like going alone.

3D works for about one in every 50 movies that utilize it. It's just an excuse to charge $5.00-10.00 more per ticket.

Avengers was pretty boss. You should have seen it.

3D works for about one in every 50 movies that utilize it. It's just an excuse to charge $5.00-10.00 more per ticket.

Avengers was pretty boss. You should have seen it.

I agree; 3D is really just an excuse to charge more, few movies really make it worth paying the extra $10. I still think the best one is well, the first, Bolt; great movie.
And yes, Avengers was quite good, better than what most people expected, for sure. And I'm certain Spider Man sucks. (Mother of CGI.)

We went to see that new Spiderman yesterday. It was pretty good, but I don't like how they reboot so many franchises all of a sudden.
It was a nice movie to go see if you liked Spiderman as a kid and don't have anything better to do on a weekday evening.

I hate 3D btw, I don't normally need glasses (or contacts, my eyes are good) so for me it's such an annoyance to keep it on my head all the fucking time. And it gives the picture a darker shade which looks unnatural to me.

i liked it
but i had to see it in 2-D
3-D makes my eyes/brain/stomach hurt
last movie i watched in 3-D was the newest underworld movie
it was so fucking annoying, i could only keep the glasses on for the first 10 min
if a movie is filmed in 3-D, watching it in 2-D is actually pretty awesome
spiderman was pretty good
not nearly as awesome as avengers but still worth the ticket price

Spider man reboot had to be done because the third installment was a calamity. Same reason we haven't had an X-men recently except First Class, as X-men 3 was not only a disaster in production, but also in the final product. X-men origins: wolverine only compounded the matter by being the worst film Marvel studios has ever made (probably the worst movie of the last 10 years anywhere, especially of its budget).

Marvel has been more responsible with its franchises since those debacles.

For those of you who didn't know, two more Avatar installments are in the writing stage by James Cameron. So we will have a reason to watch something in 3D again in about two years.

Spider man reboot had to be done because the third installment was a calamity. Same reason we haven't had an X-men recently except First Class, as X-men 3 was not only a disaster in production, but also in the final product. X-men origins: wolverine only compounded the matter by being the worst film Marvel studios has ever made (probably the worst movie of the last 10 years anywhere, especially of its budget)

Spider-Man got rebooted mainly because they (Sony) have to keep using the franchise in order to keep it, they can't just sit on it + it's bringing in a ton of cash. Same thing with X-Men First Class (New Line Cinema). Both movies were simply cash grabs with lower budgets and younger & cheaper casts. Spider-Man 3 (brought in $890m worldwide) and X-Men 3 ($460m worldwide) were definitely not 'calamaties' from a financial standpoint and at the end of the day, that's all the studio suits really care about.

Wolverine made some decent money as well and a sequel has been in the works for some time.

Hopefully people will just stop going to see these movies, these shameless cash grabs.:/ That's the only way it'll stop. It's a wonder First Class turned out to be as good as it did.

We went to see that new Spiderman yesterday. It was pretty good, but I don't like how they reboot so many franchises all of a sudden.
It was a nice movie to go see if you liked Spiderman as a kid and don't have anything better to do on a weekday evening.

I hate 3D btw, I don't normally need glasses (or contacts, my eyes are good) so for me it's such an annoyance to keep it on my head all the fucking time. And it gives the picture a darker shade which looks unnatural to me.

i hate 3d also. it gives me a fucking headache lookin through those damn glasses :ill:

Spider-Man got rebooted mainly because they (Sony) have to keep using the franchise in order to keep it, they can't just sit on it + it's bringing in a ton of cash. Same thing with X-Men First Class (New Line Cinema). Both movies were simply cash grabs with lower budgets and younger & cheaper casts. Spider-Man 3 (brought in $890m worldwide) and X-Men 3 ($460m worldwide) were definitely not 'calamaties' from a financial standpoint and at the end of the day, that's all the studio suits really care about.

Wolverine made some decent money as well and a sequel has been in the works for some time.

Hopefully people will just stop going to see these movies, these shameless cash grabs.:/ That's the only way it'll stop. It's a wonder First Class turned out to be as good as it did.

Oh yeah, I guess I meant not that they produced new ones (you are totally correct they are cash cows that need to be periodically released), I guess the poster was asking why they went ground up again on the story. I read some interesting snippets back when First Class was released about why they went with a nostalgia flick, instead of the Magneto film they had long planned. One of the reasons given was that X-Men 3 was a much publicized production disaster (three different directors or something in the end?), so they needed a story reboot along with the new movies. Wolverine made a lot of money but Marvel was not happy with the product itself (Hugh Jackman got paid like a mofo, but has not whispered about his role with X-Men since).

Marvel had a bad stretch. Dunno how they can salvage the X-Men, damage done so no one decent wants to direct the films anymore (not if they're related to the story arc from the first four movies, anyway).

For those of you who didn't know, two more Avatar installments are in the writing stage by James Cameron. So we will have a reason to watch something in 3D again in about two years.

Since the first Avatar was painfully plain ad dull, and the 3D in it was seriously overrated and pointless, I can't see how bringing two more into the world would give us any more reason to like the whole concept.
The one film I would even consider seeing in 3D right now (coming) is the second Silent Hill, and that's only because they shot it in 3D (i.e. used the the camera setup for 3D instead of creating the 3D in the editing room with computers), and I don't know how well a 2D downgrade will work with that...