The 'geek/nerd/anime/comics/etc.' thread

Yeah. American television is pretty unfortunate right now because the ratings are now hogged by a significant amount of reality TV shows. Thankfully the reality boom is over, but they've settled to a huge portion of the ratings market. That means less original programming survives on the air. There's also a proliferation of channels, but there's still only a finite number of viewers. The only "reality" TV I care for are sports events, and even these have to compete with the reality TV shows. They're so fucking cheap to produce, too, that TV networks heavily favor them as part of network product diversity. You get a hit reality TV show, you have this cash cow that costs almost nothing to produce and takes even less effort.

And just to be sure, I'm not blaming reality TV for the cancellation of TV shows, I'm just saying there's much less space for good shows to survive nowadays because of them.

Yeah, see: Heroes. Damn, really sad that one was cancelled. And yes, thank you "The Real World San Fco" or whatever the name was.

New Breaking Bad was AWESOME, new season is looking great!

yes heros getting canceled was really sad
they just re-newed Breaking Bad for more episodes

Yeah, see: Heroes. Damn, really sad that one was cancelled.

You two have to be in the minority then. Most people (me included) seem to think it was canceled a season or two too late at least. The first season was great, but it all started to go downhill as early as season two. I mean fuck, the third and fourth seasons were both utter atrocities.:S Painful to watch 'n shit. The real sad thing was just how badly they managed to fuck that show up during the course of it's run. The cancellation was an act of mercy.

Makes me think though... about excellent shows getting canceled early. Who knows, maybe those shows would've become awful as well? Maybe it's better to have 15,20 great episodes than 80 or something with more than half of them being awful?

You two have to be in the minority then. Most people (me included) seem to think it was canceled a season or two too late at least. The first season was great, but it all started to go downhill as early as season two. I mean fuck, the third and fourth seasons were both utter atrocities.:S Painful to watch 'n shit. The real sad thing was just how badly they managed to fuck that show up during the course of it's run. The cancellation was an act of mercy.

Makes me think though... about excellent shows getting canceled early. Who knows, maybe those shows would've become awful as well? Maybe it's better to have 15,20 great episodes than 80 or something with more than half of them being awful?

I agree completely. I loved Heroes in the beginning, now I look back at the last episodes I saw with disgust. True Blood has become the same way. The first season was awesome, now it's just another teenage supernatural drama like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I was a little sad that Heroes got cancelled, yes there were some pretty bad episodes throughout the seasons but I think every season overall was good. Also the way they ended the final season was great and I would have loved to see where they would have gone with it.

Other shows I think got cancelled too soon are:
Freaks And Geeks
Undeclared
Firefly
Angel
Tru Calling
Dollhouse
Veronica Mars
Arrested Development
Better Off Ted
Reaper
Jericho

Yeah, Firefly, Arrested Development and Jericho for me as well. I also enjoyed shows like Angel and Veronica Mars but still, they both got several seasons at least. Like Millennium. Canceled, but at least they made 3 seasons.:S Deadwood's three seasons were definitely not enough though.:/ What a fantastic series...

John Doe was a great show that ended after only one season and on a pretty nasty cliffhanger.:S

And Twin Peaks obviously.:D Though despite the awesomeness that Twin peaks was, even it had a couple of truly bad episodes, 4 or 5 during the second season IIRC.

I agree completely. I loved Heroes in the beginning, now I look back at the last episodes I saw with disgust. True Blood has become the same way. The first season was awesome, now it's just another teenage supernatural drama like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I actually enjoyed Season 2 a lot haha, but yeah, I'm definitely in the minority. I just wish they'd conclude the series.

I was a little sad that Heroes got cancelled, yes there were some pretty bad episodes throughout the seasons but I think every season overall was good. Also the way they ended the final season was great and I would have loved to see where they would have gone with it.
Jericho

Yeah, I think each season was overall good; and yes, Brave New World, I really wnated to see where that was going.

I follow at least 20,30 shows throughout the year, every year and I've seen some pretty fantastic shows get canceled, it didn't matter who was involved with them.

every year i try to watch the first few episodes of every new show getting on the air
and every year, without fail, i always end up totally completely falling in love with all those specific shows that end up getting cancelled really quickly
but then, the shows i hate (soap operas, lame reality shows) end up making a thousand episodes
what the hell man?!?!
:cry::bah::cry::bah: