The Glorious Burden is finished

insidethefall said:
Dark Saga - generic? A question of heaven, I died for you, the hunter all generic?

I can agree that this is when they started doing the verse-chorus-verse thing a lot more but the difference between this and this new crap (yes including Horrible show) but the difference is the songwriting was really good back then, Iced Earth had enough talent to write songs that weren't typical and very powerful, all this new stuff is boring run of the mill power metal, like i said before hasn't this been done by hundereds if not thousands of metal bands already, the same boring production, the same galloping guitar sound, the same song structure, blah blah blah

First, yes "I Died For You" is very generic. There's 2 riffs in the entire song, and both are boring as hell. The Hunter is a little better, but it gets boring as well. "A Question..." is pretty damn good though. The other songs on the album are very generic and sound like Jon wrote them in about 15 minutes. I'm not saying that's bad, but if you're calling these newer IE songs generic, don't look to Dark Saga for a cure :)

Now I basically agree with you that Dark Saga is where he started using the typical song formula. He still strays from that though, there are songs on every album that don't follow the structure, though most of them do now.

But you're saying the new stuff has been done by bands before, with the same galloping guitar sound. So...you have heard their first two albums right? :) Nothing on the first two albums is original. It's basically Iron Maiden basslines with Metallica's crunch distortion. That's it. Galloping is all he did back then, there are even riffs that are practically identical because it's a gallop with a chord stuck in there (Pure Evil's verse riff and Path I Choose close to end riff).

The only thing the old songs have that the newer ones don't is the unpredictable song structure, but Red Baron has that so far, so maybe this album will be like the old ones too.

Basically, I see what you're saying and agree that the newer songs sound different. But don't call the new ones generic and think the old songs aren't, as IE has never been original. Sure a few songs are very unique, but most are generic heavy metal. They just transformed Maiden's basslines into guitarlines. IE has done nothing that Metallica hasn't already done.

The thing I'm starting to not like about IE are these stupid choir singings, like the chorus to Reckoning, or Ghost of Freedom, or Dracula. I'd much prefer choruses like Red Baron.

Oh, and to the person saying Tim Owens is a Halford clone, it's not his fault his voice sounds like that. You could say Matt Barlow is a clone too. As someone else said, "He's about as cool as a Paul Stanley clone attempting to sing like Geoff Tate can get..."

Calm down people.. it's not even sure that Tim will be a full-time member.

I'd prefferred another singer, as Tim's vocals are not as aggressive as Matt's but what can you do? I do think that the new material sounds impressive.