The Glorious Burden is finished

I will go 50/50 with the replies in this thread. While I like Ripper, a lot, it is hard for me to here his voice on the new songs, and my PC is shiting the bed so I can't for some fucking reason or other, also horror show is by far my least fav album by IE, the lyrics suck so much that I laughed when I heard Im-Ho-Tep, Dragons Child, and Frankenstein, the only good songs on the album are Wolf and Damien, and sometimes when I am in the mood the Opera Ghost, doing a concept about these characters sounds cool, but he at least could have named the fucking songs differently, but in Jon's defence, he did say the album was one of his least fav's and that it didn't come out the way he wanted it to.

As for Ripper, I am excited and can't wait to hear it, but I will have to.

I guess this is unavoidable... no matter what vocalist would have gotten the part, theres still gonna be loads of people bitching non stop about how everything sucks from the new singer to Iced Earth in general. Come on, just get over it! Nobody wanted Matt to leave, but you could at least try to keep a positive attitude.... and if you still don't like it no matter what, then you don't have to post and post and post and post about how much you think Iced Earth sucks now. If you think they suck, then leave the forum.

I was calling "Ripper" for months before the news was released.

Maybe I'm too much of a fanboy, but I thought the new songs sounded FANTASTIC. The Reckoning sounds like a lost D&W song. I didn't really dig the heese factor that much, but Ripper's voice goes well with the music. Basically, it's a hyper version of Priest.

I didn't like Red Baron first time I heard it, but it grew on me. Ripper's voice just sounds better then those generic Priest albums. I feel a little Maiden vibe from it.

Hollowman I haven't ehard because they took the songs down before I got that one, but I'm guessing it's more of the same. Anyway, I am looking forward to the new album greatly.

spawn said:
As is your ignorance.
" IGNORANCE: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed"

Well I'm educated, aware and well informed actually.
You've not me me either.
Before you start with the name calling you should stop and think. People have opinions. You may not agree with them. But you dont need to act 5 years old and start name calling and calling people ignorant and stupid. A good sign of immaturity.

Keep that in mind.

I think Ripper isnt a good fit. I dont think he can handle Matts meterial well at all. I dont see Question of Heaven ever being played live again. If it is then I seriously doubt I will like it. I dont really care for Tims voice in the first place.

I like these songs, but then again, I'm a sheep. :hotjump:

Personally, I think The Reckoning is the weakest of these three, but still pretty damn good.

The only other point I wanna make is basically touching up on what Iced In Flames said. Matt is most likely not going to rejoin Iced Earth. As excited as I am about Priest and Halford reuniting, and having Bruce and Adrian back in Maiden, I would really hate to see Iced Earth fall into a drastically overdone cliche like that. Then again, they seem to follow many other metal cliches. But anyway, the only reasons I think it might be possible that Matt could rejoin are because:
1) Pretty much anything is possible, as far as that kinda thing goes, and
2) He's been bitten. He's felt the awesome adrenaline rush of being on a stage in front of thousands of people, and from what I understand, a person doesn't get over that easily. So, I think that, although he hasn't really been happy for the last couple of years in Iced Earth, it is entirely possible that he might end up missing it a great deal a few years down the road, and want to at least come up on stage with the band and sing a few songs. I dunno, only time will tell.

And, btw, is Ripper in IE full time, or just for this album? Is he gonna tour with IE?

Ben

According to Jon Ripper is not in full time yet. The decision is up to Tim. Im sure their is a lot of music business bullshit in the way also, especially since Ripper has been a member of a high profile band. Jon also said things with Matt had been going bad for a while and the change was inevitable. Also Ben I too was hoping Matt someday would have a change of heart, but I doubt it cause the guy was just so humble and grounded. Also he seemed detached from the whole Metal thing, except for his hair.

Iced In Flames said:
" IGNORANCE: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed"

Well I'm educated, aware and well informed actually.
You've not me me either.
Before you start with the name calling you should stop and think. People have opinions. You may not agree with them. But you dont need to act 5 years old and start name calling and calling people ignorant and stupid. A good sign of immaturity.

Keep that in mind.

I think Ripper isnt a good fit. I dont think he can handle Matts meterial well at all. I dont see Question of Heaven ever being played live again. If it is then I seriously doubt I will like it. I dont really care for Tims voice in the first place.

Lets see, ignorant meaning uneducated and uninformed:

"I think Ripper isnt a good fit. I dont think he can handle Matts meterial well at all. I dont see Question of Heaven ever being played live again."

So you have never heard Ripper singing it, yet you say he cant handle Matts material? Sounds quite uninformed to me considering you have never heard Tim do any of Matts stuff.

Anyone who is of the opinion that Ripper is a bad vocalist is IGNORANT. Its not a preference thing, it is a fact, Ripper is an extremely good vocalist, he is not "bad" simply because you prefer Matt.

I entered this discussion lately, but I think it´s time to tell my opinion to this guy called IcedInFlames:

Everybody here knows that opinions are like assholes....!

I do not want to offend anybody, but when I read this shit I could get...no matter! :puke:

When I saw Ripper playing live with Priest in Cologne I thought:

"Uh well, nice songs, two really bad guitar players(I know now that this isn´t true, but that evening they didn´t even get the intro of Victim Of Changes played tight), some static and silly posing, but this singer really made the best of it." He did a great a job back then and he was the only one who convinced me not to leave the show after half an hour.
His voice is damn cool!! AND... HE IS NOT MATT BARLOW. HE IS THE FUCKING RIPPER OWENS and now hopefully does HIS job. Matt was great and Matt was different. I admit he had a very emotional voice, but Owens is simply ... Owens. And because he is Owens he is different.
And if somebody doesn´t like him, OK, but then FUCK OFF!

You needn´t tell everybody how much you dislike the new material 213455890 times, you needn´t tell how much you would like to see Matt back in Iced Earth 213455891 times and YOU needn´t call names, as you did with that 14 year old kid in the other thread, who said he liked Red Baron!
I am thankful for every 14 year old kid who is into heavy metal and doesn´t support Britney Spears.
Every band wants to be successful and I think nobody, and I am really sure about this,will say: " Oh well, we shouldn´t get any more fans now, because our old die-hard fans might think we sell out!!!!" BULLSHIT

But then there are people like you. You think you are a metal fan and you tell everybody, but many metal fans have one great sickness: I call it the yesterday-everything-was-better-syndrome: Look to the future, not the past. Owens should get his chance. And I can imagine some of you guys hanging around here in several years when Ripper left the band and say:"That new one sucks, Ripper was so cool!"

But as you, IcedInFlames, are god and the center of the universe and the reincarnation of Criss Oliva and Cliff Burton, I bet you will soon tell me and all your immediate environment your opinion about that annoying sucker (me) who wants all the good bands to sell out, and about how bad everything is NOW and how good everything was yesterday.
But as I said...

Opinions are like assholes! And everybody should be able to show his....

So you support people going around, dropping their pants, and showing their anal cavities to everyone in sight? :D

I'm with you on Tim...he's a fantastic singer technically; a lot of people don't like his voice, so, oh well. Shit happens. Nobody wanted Matt to leave, but he did and now he's gone. Jon got the best replacement he could, and I think it was a pretty good choice. As for singin Mat's old stuff - who do you think could do that? Tim will have a different style, but he may be able to pull it off. Who knows? I think he will, myself, but we'll just have to see.

Well, all that I know is that I now love the new songs. I hate to contradict myself, but.........oh well, I'm just glad that they finally grew on me. It just goes to show kids, listen to a song enough, and you shall eventually love it. I still hate that choir chorus thing in The Reckoning though, it's just retarded. But this hypocrite says that the rest of the song, and the rest of the other songs :headbang:.

O-v-i-d said:
I entered this discussion lately, but I think it´s time to tell my opinion to this guy called IcedInFlames:

Everybody here knows that opinions are like assholes....!

I do not want to offend anybody, but when I read this shit I could get...no matter! :puke:

When I saw Ripper playing live with Priest in Cologne I thought:

"Uh well, nice songs, two really bad guitar players(I know now that this isn´t true, but that evening they didn´t even get the intro of Victim Of Changes played tight), some static and silly posing, but this singer really made the best of it." He did a great a job back then and he was the only one who convinced me not to leave the show after half an hour.
His voice is damn cool!! AND... HE IS NOT MATT BARLOW. HE IS THE FUCKING RIPPER OWENS and now hopefully does HIS job. Matt was great and Matt was different. I admit he had a very emotional voice, but Owens is simply ... Owens. And because he is Owens he is different.
And if somebody doesn´t like him, OK, but then FUCK OFF!

You needn´t tell everybody how much you dislike the new material 213455890 times, you needn´t tell how much you would like to see Matt back in Iced Earth 213455891 times and YOU needn´t call names, as you did with that 14 year old kid in the other thread, who said he liked Red Baron!
I am thankful for every 14 year old kid who is into heavy metal and doesn´t support Britney Spears.
Every band wants to be successful and I think nobody, and I am really sure about this,will say: " Oh well, we shouldn´t get any more fans now, because our old die-hard fans might think we sell out!!!!" BULLSHIT

But then there are people like you. You think you are a metal fan and you tell everybody, but many metal fans have one great sickness: I call it the yesterday-everything-was-better-syndrome: Look to the future, not the past. Owens should get his chance. And I can imagine some of you guys hanging around here in several years when Ripper left the band and say:"That new one sucks, Ripper was so cool!"

But as you, IcedInFlames, are god and the center of the universe and the reincarnation of Criss Oliva and Cliff Burton, I bet you will soon tell me and all your immediate environment your opinion about that annoying sucker (me) who wants all the good bands to sell out, and about how bad everything is NOW and how good everything was yesterday.
But as I said...

Opinions are like assholes! And everybody should be able to show his....

Thank you for talking some sense.

Opinions ARE like assholes. Everyone has one and most of the time they stink.
I'm ignorant? Because of MY OPINION? Whats that? Everyone has right right and entitled to one? Hmmm.
Didnt like him with Priest, saw em twice with Tim, I dont like his Winter Bane or whatever its called stuff, and I dont care for him in Iced Earth.

You guys can like Tim all he wants and kiss his ass forever because I know half of the people now do that because Neil posted here and that means Jon might be watching. But I dont care. Guess I'm not a troo fan or I'm a noob or a poser right? I've lost faith in Iced Earth with the last cd and now this one more than likely. Thats what happens when you leader because an arrogant fuck and starts saving the good material all for one album.

Now you can be all mad at me and call me lots of stupid names. Doesnt really matter tho. I like what I like and you are nothing but a name on my computer monitor who talks like the hundreds of people at others BB's do. So thanks for sharing all lyour wonderful info :)

Ugh. Just when I think things can't get any dumber on the internet, they do.

You guys, there's an old saying you may've heard before:

Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Give it up.

Ben

You obviously didn't listen, did you?

For what it's worth, I don't enjoy the last three album as much as the first three...and it's not because of Barlow, but because of Jon. Frankly, his riffs have become boring. But the majority of the music here sounds pretty fucking cool. So count me as one fan who's lost faith, but is beginning to recover it.

I just wanna say for the record I think Tim is a great singer. He DOES have an amazing voice and is quite talented indeed. However, after listening to the new samples, I wasnt impressed. I listened to them not expecting Barlow-esque material and just hoping for something good. However, I found that it sounded somewhat uninspired. I realize that Jon was searching for someone that he felt was good and he chose Tim for a number of reasons, I just feel that it is sub-par for IE. Yes we cannot, nor should we, expect anything like Barlow as that is unfair to Jon and ourselves. However, we as fans and supporters should at least expect him to take the time to put out quality stuff. It is not just Tim that is wrong here either nor is it his fault. You can tell he was giving 100% on the songs and I totally respect that. It's just that Jon's songwriting seems to be slipping. I saw IE a couple years ago with Barlow and my god it was impressive, tour of the wicked era to be exact. Will I see them again, probably not. Sad to say it, but I don't care for the new stuff. I still support Jon and IE totally and I hope they put some good stuff out, and I will check out the new album in its entirety, but if the first 3 tracks are any indication then it isnt promising. I would say that given all the developments I am very glad I saw Twisted Sister at Wacken instead of IE as they put on a killer fuckin show. Anyhow, thats my bit criticize if ya like but its just my opinion.