The Glorious Burden is finished

This sucks.

Tim Ripper Owens is a horrible vocalist. What an awful mistake picking him for lead vocals. This band used to be awesome, but now they just suck. My only hope is for another Demons & Wizards album.

i really like the new stuff. The Reckoning is cool. i can't wait for the new album. people should stop complaining about matt's departure. everyone knows he'll be back some day. until then, let ripper's presence give iced earth a bigger audience. all the priest fans who haven't heard of iced earth will check them out because of this. when matt comes back, you can expect another days of purgatory type thing with re-recorded Ripper-era tracks.

Oh so you want Iced Earth to sell out.
They did DoP because they wanted to re release the songs with the way they SHOULD have sounded when they were recorded. Not just because they wanted Matt on vocals.
Why does everyone keep mentioning a goddamn DoP 2? If thats the case why dont IE jsut remaster Dark Saga and Something Wicked and Horror Show and release Dark Genesis II?

i'm saying that with Ripper in the band, a new audience is bound to be attracted to them. i don't see how gaining more fans is selling out.

and the DoP 2 thing was an optimistic semi-joke. when bruce came back to maiden and sang blaze era songs live, they sounded much better. when halford plays live with priest, i'd expect the ripper era songs will sound better, too. WHEN matt comes back to iced earth, the ripper era songs will sound better. by mentioning DOP, i didn't mean they'd remake the albums, i meant that Matt's presence would make them sound better.

hope that cleared it up.

A LOT of people keep saying DoP 2. Matt left the damn band, understand that. I didnt see where he read "I'm leaving to pursue a job with Homeland Security but I'll be back" Can you point that out?
As much as I hate Blaze I will admit some songs DO sound better with him. Sure as hell not The Trooper. He doews Educated Fool better tho.
I see Priest getting together for one cd and tour then thats it. Either they'll call it quits or break up again.

I keep hoping that this will grow on me, but it just doesn't have that special something that Iced Earth used to have. It just sounds like the same old power metal, such as Primal Fear. I like Primal Fear, but it's not very often that I reach for their cd.

god, horrible horible, god-fucking-aweful choice for a singer. I never liked Ripper that much (mainly because the newer priest material was shite) but now I can really say he's an annoying singer and adds nothing but embarrasment to a once godlike band

as for the music, all the galloping power metal shit is for the fucking birds, doesn't jon know that there are like 1 billion bands doing the same thing? the lyrics are cheesy as fuck too - it's all the same, verse, terrible chours - verse HOW FUCKING STALE AND GENERIC CAN YOU GET?

i need to listen to burnt offerings and dark saga now to help me forget this travesty

insidethefall said:
as for the music, all the galloping power metal shit is for the fucking birds, doesn't jon know that there are like 1 billion bands doing the same thing? the lyrics are cheesy as fuck too - it's all the same, verse, terrible chours - verse HOW FUCKING STALE AND GENERIC CAN YOU GET?

i need to listen to burnt offerings and dark saga now to help me forget this travesty

Haha, I can't believe the same person said both paragraphs.

"I fucking HATE sitcoms, they are SO predictable and boring and generic, god they suck ass!!! Now, time to go watch "Friends"!"

Hate to break it to you, but Dark Saga is about as generic of a metal album as they come.

Keogh said:

"I fucking HATE sitcoms, they are SO predictable and boring and generic, god they suck ass!!! Now, time to go watch "Friends"!"

Hate to break it to you, but Dark Saga is about as generic of a metal album as they come.

That's true but Dark Saga sounds about a hundred times better than these samples and Burnt Offerings doesn't have much generic song structures. Of course samples are only samples,but it's 10 minutes of the album and there's 2 heavy songs and one ballad...Hollow Man sounded the best of them,but the lyrics sounded really terrible in all of them. "Red baaaaaaaaron - Blue maaaaax" Yeah! I'm gonna wet my pants! Not.
I dunno...guess we'll see in a while if it's any good.
My hopes lie on the Something Wicked concept album and a DVD with lots of Barlow stuff too. Oh and a website with some fucking updates more than once a month.
Ripper doesn't sound that terrible,but I don't really like his voice either. Yet at least.

Listen to A Question of Heaven and tell me there isnt any emotion put in it by Matt.

insidethefall: I like your attitude, we should be friends. I couldnt agree with you more. The guitars sound very generic now and the lyrics,specially on Red Baron are CHEEEEESE.

See? And when he sings Red Baron you cant hear, Jugulataaaaaaaaah!

Keogh said:

Dark Saga - generic? A question of heaven, I died for you, the hunter all generic?

I can agree that this is when they started doing the verse-chorus-verse thing a lot more but the difference between this and this new crap (yes including Horrible show) but the difference is the songwriting was really good back then, Iced Earth had enough talent to write songs that weren't typical and very powerful, all this new stuff is boring run of the mill power metal, like i said before hasn't this been done by hundereds if not thousands of metal bands already, the same boring production, the same galloping guitar sound, the same song structure, blah blah blah

The thing that initially turned me on to IE was that they had a sound i never heard, very dark and powerful but it had a really imaginative atmosphere, I could close my eyes and picture the stories and lyrics matt sung and jon played. And that album was Burnt Offerings...this leads me into another problem I have the lyrical content, I look upon Burnt offerings, dark saga and stormrider (and maybe half of something wicked, the trilogy at least) as being some of the best written lyrics in metal (up there with maiden) now all we get is some stupid ass lyrics about the creature from the blue lagoon and the motherfucking red baron?

I know the new album isn't out yet, and truthfully after hearing the samples I dont want to hear the rest but i probably will just because. And I think Jon made a huge mistake of getting ripper - replacing a well talented guy with a range so deep and screams so powerful with some guy who is/was a rob halford clone (and very one dimensional) is a fucking bad choice, how's this dude going to sing songs like a question of heaven or 95% of any other IE song...he's not, he doesnt have the range or the talent

I'm just hoping this is a late april fools day joke, coming exactly 4 months late but indeed it won't be

Iced In Flames said:
Listen to A Question of Heaven and tell me there isnt any emotion put in it by Matt.

insidethefall: I like your attitude, we should be friends. I couldnt agree with you more. The guitars sound very generic now and the lyrics,specially on Red Baron are CHEEEEESE.

See? And when he sings Red Baron you cant hear, Jugulataaaaaaaaah!

HAHA yes mate, I feel as though i'm listening to judas priest, bad judas priest

Like I say about Red Baron. Iron Maiden guitars and Judas Priest vocals. Which isnt bad if we are in 1985.
Horror Show is indeed poorly written for the most part. All the acoustic parts sound exactly alike to me. And especially Jekyll and Hyde. I could have written that song.
In Jons defense he DId say it didnt come out like he wanted. It was pretty damn hard to wroite songs about them.
But in my defense. Do a different album.

Dark Saga, to me, is one of Iced Earth's worst...A Question of Heaven and The Hunter are FANTASTIC, Violate is good minus the stupid Maiden wannabe intro/outro riffs, and the rest is EXTREMELY boring. Very generic, indeed. The first three albums are the best.

This sounds pretty promising...Ripper is indeed a fantastic singer; Jon just needs to be able to write riffs like the old days (or at least like the better moments on Something Wicked). And some of the stuff on there is very good...Red Baron/Blue Max has great rhythm work.

Plus, Jon's letting Richard really cut loose on the drums...HELL YEAH!

Jon just said in an interview that he wants ripper in permanently, but that's all up in the air for now. He said it's up to ripper. He also said that ever since he started writing music he has heard ripper's voice in his head, and said it was fate that this happened. It was a live interview on Q104.3 in the N.Y. area. Someone I think it was icedinflames said ripper can't handle 95% of the I.E. material. I would say he is a professional version and 1,000% better version of Greely. Ripper would kick ass on every Iced Earth record but the Barlow era of dark saga and something wicked. As for Burnt offerings except for Dantes Inferno I think that record sucks. This is what Jon wants, its his music. So far I do agree this new stuff could be a little more power metal we'll see. Matt ruled and he will be my fav singer ever, but life goes on and so does Iced Earth.

Ripper is an amazing vocalist, all the people who say he isnt are by far some of the most ignorant people ive ever ran into. You guys must be on crack or something.