The Grand Conjuration Summoned All Manner of Demons Through My Audio Source

Cerberus III

New Metal Member
May 14, 2008
I don't know why people don't like this song.

It rapes, pillages, and burns down the town hall.

I like the song.But its kinda different since it has no acoustic parts.I mean I think Heir Apparent is one of the heaviest songs the Opeth has ever recorded,and it still has the formula " acoustic + heavy synthesis ".The Grand Conjuration,however doesnt fit here and that might be the reason why most people hate it.Although I like the song I rarely listen it might be my least listened Opeth track,along with Black Rose Immortal.

BRI is fucking 20 minutes long, though. Who has the time to casually listen to BRI?

TGC is an unforgiving song. It's kicks you around and makes you stay for dessert, and guess what's for dessert? More brutal ass kickery.

BRI is fucking 20 minutes long, though. Who has the time to casually listen to BRI?

TGC is an unforgiving song. It's kicks you around and makes you stay for dessert, and guess what's for dessert? More brutal ass kickery.

Opinions differ from person to person. :)

TGC Drags on a bit much for me, theres not really enough going on to keep me interested.

Good live song though, when i heard it live it kicked my arse left right and center.

I was actually just having a conversation with some friends about this the other day.

The Grand Conjuration is a good song, for sure. However, it's much more simplified, and simply "Metal" (As opposed to progressive metal) than most Opeth. It has a lot more hooks, and it's catchier. The song still fucking slays, but it's probably the most commercial sounding work that they had done up till that point. Not to say that's a bad thing, I think it fits into the album nicely.

TGC is equal to the rest of Ghost Reveries in my opinion. It's not better or worse.

It just fucking pwns.

I like The Grand Conjuration. Crap! That song scared me when I first gave it a listen, haha! It's probably one of Opeth's darker and heavier songs.

nope. it's boring. i'd call GR flawless if TGC was taken out.

You're boring. Your band and it's entirety suck compared to just the song The Grand Conjuration.

In fact, when TCJ was written, it was actually 'conjuring' a doomed to fail band called Lothlorien.

AM I RITE?!

But seriously, how the hell is TGC boring? If anything it's the highlight of GR.

You're boring. Your band and it's entirety suck compared to just the song The Grand Conjuration.

In fact, when TCJ was written, it was actually 'conjuring' a doomed to fail band called Lothlorien.

AM I RITE?!

lol. the grand conuration lacks everything. minus the glorious solo it's the one song in opeth's entire catalog that i feel should've been pulled from the album.

im not hating on opeth, but dont start a thread claiming how TGC is some masterpiece.

and dont talk shit about a band unless you've listened to them. :)

lol. the grand conuration lacks everything. minus the glorious solo it's the one song in opeth's entire catalog that i feel should've been pulled from the album.

im not hating on opeth, but dont start a thread claiming how TGC is some masterpiece.

What exactly does TGC lack?

and dont talk shit about a band unless you've listened to them. :)

I listened to all three of your Myspace songs.

My ears bled.

And not in the good way.

It's not as bad as everyone makes out, and it's quite welcome after the sleep-inducing quartet of Beneath The Mire/Atonement/Harlequin Forest/Hours of Wealth, but it's not their best track by a long way. Too repetitive and nothing really interesting to add to Opeth's output.

Too repetitive and nothing really interesting to add to Opeth's output.

The repetition is one of it's strong points. Don't understand how that is a flaw...

And it doesn't need to 'add' anything. Opeth doesn't have to follow a strict formula for their songs. It's not like Ghost Reveries is a concept album.

TGC is just a bitchin' song, for fact.

nope. it's boring. i'd call GR flawless if TGC was taken out.

If you dont like, it just skip the fucking track. It doesnt take as much effort to skip one track every time you listen to the CD than it does to actually write a song like that.

All in all, Not my favorite track, but I enjoy it from time to time.

If TGC wasn't on Ghost Reveries, there would be a lot missing!
It's a great in-your-face-song right after Hours of Wealth and therefore extremely important. It may be just a tiny tad too long but it's no real flaw compared to many songs on the first two albums which lacked some sort of structure (Not saying they are worse, but they could have definately been "cleaned up" in some places).
TGC has this great dark or "evil" vibe, as i stated in some other thread that I really miss on most of the songs on the new album.