The Greater Vocalist Vs. Vocalist Poll!

Who is THE ultimate screamin demon of Heavy Metal?

• Rob Halford

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • Bruce Dickinson

Votes: 62 66.0%

• Total voters
The Fiddler said:
IMO, the ulimate metal frontman, regardless of who he is, has to meet the minimum following criteria:

1. Never have badmouthed metal for an alternative solo career only to come back and embrace metal after the solo career failed.

2. Never have had sex with other men.

3. Never have had worn a tu-tu or other female fashion accessory (hair-spray is OK though).

well, excuse me for butting(pun unintended) in, but just how the F do you know who has slept with other men or not, and why the F should it matter?

As far as I know, taking it up the ass(or giving it) has no effect on the sound of your voice, hell, I am gonna google it and see what I find out.

Although I can give two shits about what Rob Halford does in his private life(i know you mean him).. he has done much, much more than you will ever do..he is the Metal God..and by the way, i think these polls are totally meaningless..heck. how can you compare two of the most talented and important names in metal, fuck.

Geez, sometimes I wonder...

YtseJammer said:
Bobby "Leather Lungs" Lucas.

Yeah...Right.

First, let me say that I voted for Rob. The titled at the top of the poll is BEST SCREAMIN DEMON. Hands down, Rob owns Bruce for screams.

I will concur that Bruce has been a better showman onstage in recent years. Around 1980 I would say they were pretty equal as showmen, but Rob is older than Bruce and is showing it now.

Now for Ytse’s write-in vote of Bobby. As most here know, Bobby is the singer in my band OVERLORDE, and has also been on releases from Seven Witches and Exhibition.

With all due respect to the great singers associated with the Progpower fest, I know from working with Bobby that he really does belong among the greats. And critics have been saying the same. Not only comparing him to Tate, Halford, and Dickinson, but also saying he can stand on stage with Dio without hesitation.

That is a mighty fine, and accurate, read on Bobby.

Not only is Bobby powerful, with a god-like vocal range, but he is also consistent. He nails his parts quickly in the studio. Eric Rachel of Trax East, where we recorded and mixed, even said that Bobby could be in any band in the world. He is that good.

Bobby not only has his own great style. But he can BE whomever he needs to be. We have done some covers with him. He sounds like Tate, Dickinson, Halford, or Dio whenever he does songs by those bands. Sounds like them AND nails all the notes. He even did a damn good job of Eric Adams when he was in Seven Witches (they released a cover of METAL DAZE).

We expect to be posting our unreleased cover of QUEEN OF THE REICH soon on MySpace, which will really highlight this.

I truly consider Bobby to be one of the top singers, if not THE top singer, in power/heavy metal today.

So on Bobby’s behalf, “Thanks for the props ,Ytse!”

Hmm... very intriguing that you'd nominate your own main man...

I NEED PROOF! COME TOUR IN DETROIT!!! \m/

Yeah, I'm greedy. HAH!

Another thing to consider... showmanship. Even at this age, Bruce Dickinson is constantly running around the stage, jumping from stand to stand, and as active as a 20-year-old gymnast. Even if you shot him, he'd still be running around bleeding on people! That's an entertaining front man.

Dio... he's still active and engaging with the crowd. He still gives the emphasis and the interaction to tease the crowd.

Halford... STOOD STILL. Saw him at Ozzfest and yeah, he can scream, but bored me to tears. The only exciting part was the Harley coming out.

Anyways, continue with the voting.

Tammy... DECIDE!!!

Bryan316 said:
Hmm... very intriguing that you'd nominate your own main man...

I NEED PROOF! COME TOUR IN DETROIT!!! \m/

Tammy... DECIDE!!!

Uhh.. umm.. hmm.. err... uhh.. Fine okay there I voted! Dickinson!

YES! ME come bring Overlorde to Detroit!! Wait, what am I saying? Come to Grand Rapids! Okay, okay.. JUST COME TO MICHIGAN ALREADY! :yell:

Bryan316 said:
Allright, guys... who is it gonna be? Who is the ultimate heavy metal singer/frontman/rockstar?

The Metal God Rob Halford, or the invincible Bruce Dickinson?

Everybody knows these guys. Anyone who's even slightly cool, recognises their voice in three notes. But... when it comes to picking one and only one, who is THE VOICE when you hear a song in your head?

Jack Black.:loco:

Tough call - Dickinson is the sentimental favorite since Maiden is the band that got me into music as more than "a casual music fan." But I love Halford's vocals as well. So for me it's going to be a draw.

The Fiddler said:
IMO, the ulimate metal frontman, regardless of who he is, has to meet the minimum following criteria:

1. Never have badmouthed metal for an alternative solo career only to come back and embrace metal after the solo career failed.

2. Never have had sex with other men.

3. Never have had worn a tu-tu or other female fashion accessory (hair-spray is OK though).

I thought this was about their voice, not their sexual orientation. This only shows your own insecurity and uncertainty of yourself. Would you really stop listening to your favorite artist if you found out they were gay?:err:
Peace

sh0kr0k said:
YES! ME come bring Overlorde to Detroit!! Wait, what am I saying? Come to Grand Rapids! Okay, okay.. JUST COME TO MICHIGAN ALREADY! :yell:

SCREAM FOR US, TAMMY! ha!

Well the promoter that brought us to Chicago last year hopes to get us back. Plus, I am one of the judges for the sick idiots/Revolver Magazine metal band contest. The winner and some of the judge's bands (as advertised in Revolver) will be invited to play at Minneapolis Mayhem 3. This is the fest run by the one and only Mister Mayhem here at the forum. So maybe Overlorde will be invited? So hopefully one of those shows comes to be (if nothing actually in Michigan), and hopefully those are close enough for you to make the trip for.

MEFlyingV said:
First, let me say that I voted for Rob. The titled at the top of the poll is BEST SCREAMIN DEMON. Hands down, Rob owns Bruce for screams.

Actually, I responded to this question, "Allright, guys... who is it gonna be? Who is the ultimate heavy metal singer/frontman/rockstar?," in the body of the intital thread and didn't see the very different question at the very top of the poll in the same thread, "Who is THE ultimate screamin demon of Heavy Metal?".

Based purely on voice, I must say that I think Halford is a better screaming demon and that his voice best represents the attitude of heavy metal.

As for the vocalist who best represents/embodies the spirit/attitude of heavy metal (i.e. best frontman and rockstar), I vote for Bruce. Bruce has always been a tireless crusader for the metal cause and has better stage presence. Bruce would be the one I'd choose as heavy metal's best lifetime ambassador.

If we are talking about the present Halford and Bruce, I would have to say that Bruce has him beat. But you have to consider their age too. Halford has been doing this for a long time.
On the other hand, if you are talking about old school, Halford has definately got Bruce beaten in terms of range and pitch. That is my intake on the subject. Halford is not what he used to be. He is losing it a little. But don't get me wrong, he is still a great singer!

You mean that isn't Halford on "The Glorious Burden?" You could've fooled me!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al