The Guitar Thread

TheSeldomlaid

Waffle Wizard
Aug 20, 2003
Beyond stupidity
shadegrown.deviantart.com
I decided this could be useful and/or fun.
What kind of guitar do you have? What are your skills? What kind of guitar do you need? What problems do you have? What is it you don't know, that you want to know? What do your face look like when you play?
Lets talk about it here.
If you think this thread lame, it will probably disappear after a while anyway, and it won't go away any faster if you post in it :p
I don't know if threads of this type has existed earlier, though. If so, here's a new one.

I'll start it.

I play a Hamer Slammer Series-thingy I bought a few years back. I don't have a more specific description, as I'm unable to find it on the Hamer pages.
My skills aren't much, really. Most advanced thing I can do is Bed of Razors at 3/4 speed. On a good day.

I do have a few questions on some technical terms, related to the guitar. Is there such thing as a terminology-dictionary or something? Or a guide to what the parts on the guitar are called, what function they serve, and so on? I only know a few, some in English, and some in Norwegian.

I play a Gibson Gothic Explorer and an ESP KH-2 both with EMG-81s through a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. as far as playing I can do most of the stuff OK with the exception of the really fast sweeps, he's fucking amazing. You could probably find a dictionary of terminology somewhere here on the internet I would guess, but I can't think of anything off-hand.

www.makeintendofamous.com ->check out the Music link

What kind of guitar do you have?

Ibaenez of course

What are your skills?

I'm totally amazing and totally skilled with my fingers, so i'm using only my ass to play some Satch and Vai songs, coz' this makes only fun

What kind of guitar do you need? What problems do you have?

Ibanez Jem 7wh with seven string

What is it you don't know, that you want to know?

I know evtg.

What do your face look like when you play?
My face look like the guy in the mirror when i'm look into.

@ Zoli : :lol:

As for me:

Kramer Pacer Custom I '88 USA, NJ Neptune

What are your skills?

Im common guitarist with a skill of a 5 years playing guitar dude, nothing special, can play most of cob songs, unfortunetly without many sweeps, thats what Im practising right now

Musicman Axis VH, Peavey Predator EVH or Jackson RR L/L

Id like to find a key to gain all the theory knowledge in one hour

This is a funny question :lol: Check my thread about it (was this question inspired by it, btw? :loco: )

Ibanez GAX70BK
Fender acoustic/electric
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus , Seymour Duncan Distortion
I want a fucking Paul Reed Smith Guitar.

whats your skills?
No speciel skills, just a normal guitarist... normally play 80's thrash metal stuff. I suck at chords. chords + me = blank stare .

What you want to know..
I agree with Bodomic there, the theory part of it.

what do you look like when you play?
tensed, i really need to concentrate...

Problems
I really ignore my pinky finger whenever I play, thats one reason why I cant shred...I have been trying to improve that habit though..

My Rig, Ill put smilies next to what i alrady have:

Jackson RX10D with an EMG 81 in the bridge (ill get the 85 later) !!!!:headbang:

Sennheiser Digital Wireless 1000 Series

Sabine RT-7100 rack tuner !!!!:headbang:

Line 6 POD Pro Preamp (only for the modeled amps) !!!:headbang:

Rocktron Intellifex LTD !!!!:headbang: just got it off ebay for $164

dbx 231 Graphic Equalizer !!!!:headbang:

Alesis 3630 Compressor !!!!:headbang:

ENGL 2X60 Watt Power Amplifier and of course,

Marshall 300 Watt Cabinets

What are your skills

I'm ok, still learning classical style though, used to play AC/DC rock and roll before this so my musical ability was nothing compared to what it is now. I just started learning small 3 string sweeps.

What kind of guitar do you need?

My dream Custom guitar is essentially a RR-L/L with neck-thru design, gold hardware, Snow white w/black pinstripes (original RR Paint Job), and EMG 81 and 85, in the neck and bridge, respectively.

What problems do you have?

Well, a while ago when I played AC/DC style, I developed a bad habit of not sliding my fingers at all, and also using the wrong fingers on the wrong frets.

Live, I look ok, but practicing, I look like this :zombie: and this, :loco:, and even :kickass:

damn this thread isnt hilarious at all :lol:

btw I play D'Addario orange XL strings they're 0.09-0.48 or 0.46 cxant remember properly, Im using a Peavey Green pick 0.88mm, cables arent so important but I like to have a pink calbes, its so grim and evil :heh:

Ibanez RG350
Jackson DX10

What are your skills?
a little above average..

I need a 7 string Jackson w/ 24 frets & A floyd.

Improve position shifting sweeps and string skipping sweeps.

Couldnt tell ya

You guys own. This thread was not meant to be a bloody interview :p

I was more thinking about it as giving each other hints and help with problems we might have.

I too have troubles with my shredding. Apart from practicing, are there any hints as to hwo to improve this art?

Oh, @BodomiC: that question was NOT AT ALL inspired by that thread. No. Not at all. I swear. It's all true.

@the rest of you: that question wasn't really serious :p

I'v got an Epiphone flying V with emg's.

Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL 100 head.

Peavy 4/12 (lots of bass)

been playing for about 4 years. from the sound of it, I would say that I suck compared to alot of you guys. I dont really do much practicing in the metal style. Instead I just sit and watch tv or movies and try to play the soundtrack. ie. Conan, Lord of the Rings, stuff like that.

my solo playing needs TONS of work and I should probably take lessons or something like that. but whatever, when I get the band back together its gonna be some fun shit!!

but yeah... How can I improve on playing solos and getting my fingers faster? I just cannot handle the long boring workouts of doing the same pattern over and over and over...

the only way to develop speed sadly is the boring pattern repetition, but in the end it really pays off, proper shredding doesn't leave much time for family or significant others

intendo said:
the only way to develop speed sadly is the boring pattern repetition, but in the end it really pays off, proper shredding doesn't leave much time for family or significant others

yeah, I know. Thats what I am doing right now, using the spider method with alternate picking. Its boring...but then it really does help...

Ibanez GSA 60 :ill:
Washburn WD44S in a few weeks!

What are your skills?
Not good, I've been playing bout 11 months now. I can play the intro lead/solo to Lake Bodom....

Jackson SLSMG
Taylor K22ce

Theory, scales (I only know one), chord construction, sweep picking, things like that.

Normal unless I'm playing something hard, then my lower lip kinda goes out. Or if it is a fun solo I look like I'm takin' a shit. :Smug:

Thats what I am doing right now, using the spider method with alternate picking. Its boring...but then it really does help...

DAMMIT. well I guess I will have to get off my fat ass and start doing shit like that. Im way to impatient for it, but goddammit im gonna do it!!

oh and I'v been looking for a new flying V to get. what should I look into. I dont want a Gibson or a Epiphone body.

If I ever played guitar and was half way decent. Id get one of those Jackson randy rhoads guitars. And Id get a Set(Iced Earth's mascot) custom painted on it. Thatd be cool.

But I probably will never play an instrument. If I bought a guitar it would just be another expensive thing laying around the house I don't use.

Ahhhh....great.....another guitar thread:

I have four guitars. I have two Fender Strat Squires and a Fender Jagstang. I hate Fender. On my sixteenth birthday which was four and a half years ago, I got my baby. I got a Marty Friedman Signature Jackson, autographed version limited to one hundred worldwide. It's twenty-four fret, 24Karat gold plated, Floyd Rose hardware with locking nut, tremolo and floating bridge, setneck (neck-through) and Sharkfin Inlays.

For my processer, I have a Digitech RP7.

The next guitar I want to get is either (or both) a MusicMan Petrucci Signature 7-String and/or a Vai Signature 7-String Ibanez Universe.

I have been playing for twelve years (since I was eight) and wish that I was better. I have speed and stamina, but lack some theory. Lately, I have been working on my sweeping skills. I can pick faster than I can move my fingers, which makes it difficult for precise sweeping. I write my own material (which some of you have heard) and if you would like to hear it, let me know and I'll either arrange something to where I can send you the file(s) via IRC, AIM or MSN, or I can upload them to a host.

--What kind of guitar do you have?

I have a Jackson Performer Series 4 which to you who aren't familiar with it is just a standard soloist shape guitar with a H-S-H pickup config and just allround jackson and jackson licensed hardware. The bridge pickup has been replaced, im unsure to what, but it looks like Seymour Duncan and it sounds a shitload better than the stock Jackson PUs.

--What are your skills?

Well I'm on a Bodom frenzy now.. my guitar is tuned to D for my band so I learn all Bodom songs now. I know how to play Bed of Razors already with everything apart from the keyboard solo which I havent bothered learning yet. Also I'm learning Kissing the Shadows and can play all of it up till the solo part which I'm going to start learning in a few days. Speaking of all that I was doing a Bed of Razors cover, it's about 70% done on my computer and I've kinda left it there... might get it finished and uploaded for all you cynics.

--What kind of guitar do you need?

Do be perfectly honest, I'm happy with the PS4 for the time being... I only expect to get a new guitar when I get an immense amount of cash or feel like my playing actually takes me somewhere, because the PS-4 with replaced hardware makes a great semi-professional guitar. But one day I'd like to own a PRS Custom 24 because their tone and feel is divine.

--What problems do you have?

Most likely problems alot of you have when trying to play Bodom-esque type stuff... if I'm lacking concentration my fingers will fuck up and I'll fall behind, skip strings or whatever. The main thing is that I need to build up more speed on the sweeps, the actual soloing ain't too bad but it could use improvement, and also I want to learn more theory so I can feel confident in improvising. The only thing I'm really confident with right now is basically the Harmonic Minor scale in D, so I'm not very versatile as you can imagine :p.

--What is it you don't know, that you want to know?

Theory. Every Bodom song :lol:

--What do your face look like when you play?

Depends how much I'm getting off on playing something. If im bored I'll just look focused maybe throw my tongue out every now and then, but if I'm getting into it I'll start throwing my head around and give that 'yeah, you want some more bitch?' face :lol:, even though in those instances I'll lose concentration and fuck up the playing.

What I would like to know is.. on my PS4, I have a licensed Jackson floyd rose (yeah, those dreaded things) and I dont actually have whammy bar for it as of yet, but when I've done rises with my palm pushing down the bridge, the guitar has popped out of tune quite a bit. Is this because im not using the whammy, is my locking system not set properly (although im quite sure I cant screw it down any harder) or could it be the matter of my tremolo just sucking ass? Anything would be appreciated.