The heaviest album of 2007?

The muted, downtuned, aggressive riffs of BRUTAL DEATH METAL are as heavy as you can get; heavier than any bluesy stoner riff penned by a bunch of high Black Sabbath wannabes. heh

I don't see how muted guitars are heavy because they're muted. I'm not against palm mutting it's just the more muting the less heavy something sounds, you're not holding out chords/notes for sustaine to see how heavy guitars are.

I don't see how muted guitars are heavy because they're muted. I'm not against palm mutting it's just the more muting the less heavy something sounds, you're not holding out chords/notes for sustaine to see how heavy guitars are.

The muting is necessary for the brutal rhythm. sustaining the notes are good for extreme breakdowns, but when i think of kicking faces in...i think of muted rhythms with extreme bass

When you mute, you can make the rhythm seem heavier, thus making everything heavy. Why can't you fucking understand this?

No problem, Greys/DD just has an inferiority complex when faced with the words "brutal death metal" that just makes him hate everything having to do with it unconditionally. He's retarded, so whatever.

Muting is compressing,dumbing down, and compromising sound making something less heavy and even less loud. dur

Palm muting just sounds "heavy." Perhaps it's an intangeable quality, though you could say that muting makes the rhythm of the riffs shaper and harsher. Even with Black Sabbath, their heaviest songs are the ones where they use muting (Symptom of the Universe, Into the Void, Children of the Grave, etc.). And way back in the early 80s, one of the big reasons thrash was so much heavier than the other music around at the time was because it incorporated palm muting to a much greater extent (I would say that this set it apart from the other metal of the time moreso than speed). IMO black metal is generally not heavy (albeit evil sounding), and one of the main reasons for this is that black metal usually incorporates little to no palm muting.

Point made. I love palm muting.

The muted, downtuned, aggressive riffs of BRUTAL DEATH METAL are as heavy as you can get; heavier than any bluesy stoner riff penned by a bunch of high Black Sabbath wannabes. heh

Uh. No. Not a chance.

Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis is heavier than ANY brutal death metal song.

Stoner doom as a whole is heavier than any BDM.

Of all that have been mentioned so far I'd go with Defeated Sanity. Technically it hasn't come out yet but I'd also mention Rotten Sound's upcoming album, Cycles. Sounds far more aggressive and pissed off than any brutal death metal does to me.

Of all that have been mentioned so far I'd go with Defeated Sanity. Technically it hasn't come out yet but I'd also mention Rotten Sound's upcoming album, Cycles. Sounds far more aggressive and pissed off than any brutal death metal does to me.

1. Defeated Sanity really isn't fucking heavy at all...I listened to the new album again just to make sure, and it really isn't. It's fast and extreme, but the tone just isn't screaming DISMEMBER, ELECTRIC WIZARD, SUFFOCATION, DEVOURMENT, etc... THOSE are heavy!

2. Aggressive/pissed off != heavy. Sorry.

Also, Mort you're a fucking fag if you're going to say Funeralopolis is heavy, but this somehow isn't? It's not like only one thing can be fucking heavy...

Heavy doesn't mean an extreme low end bassy quality that causes the speakers to vibrate. If that were the case, mainstream hip hop would be as heavy as fuck. IMO, stoner doom is not heavy. I did listen to the Electric Wizard track. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's heavy. Devourment, Defeated Sanity, Wormed, etc. are heavy in my opinion, not downtuned stoner doom with such an extreme emphasis on the bassy end of the sound that the tone sounds fuzzy.

am i the only one thinking heaviness depends on the rhythm used? because im listenin to some of this stuff and am not feeling the urge to kill...that means it must not be heavy enough...
If by rhythm you mean the rhythm of the picking of the guitar, then yes. that's where the whole palm muting thing comes in, as palm muting is all about rhythm.