The Horror Movie thread

Krow

Garbage Connoisseur
Mar 4, 2008
Roadkill, WV
Discuss all and any scary movies you want to here.

What have you seen? What do you love? What has traumatized you?

I'll start with Cannibal Holocaust. Absolutely gritty and terrifying... it just feels so real... Real animals slaughtered... rape... brutal murders... and it all just feels so real, so real that the director was arrested at one point for making a snuff film...

Many of the censorship issues with Cannibal Holocaust concern the on-screen killings of animals, which remains a major issue today. Seven animals were killed during the film's production, six of which are seen on screen:

A coatimundi (mistaken as a muskrat in the film) is stabbed multiple times in the neck by an actor.
A large turtle (about three feet long) is captured in the water and dragged to shore, where it is then decapitated and its limbs and shell removed. The actors proceed to cook and eat the turtle.
A large spider is killed with a machete.
A snake is killed with a machete.
A squirrel monkey has its face cut off with a machete.
A pig is kicked twice and then shot with a rifle.

These are the worst parts of the movie. I'm not that pro animals rights or anything... but... its real and it hits you extremely hard. The Coatimundi is a cute little thing... and it's death is horrifying... and pathetic. :(

I almost recommend staying away from the movie, to be honest.

So we dont need to mention all the movies once again and have the same discussions that we had half a year ago. All posters in that thread are still active here.

9 months =/= half a year. ;)

And I hardly see why that matters... considering no one is going to remember anything from that thread unless they go and read it.

I'll start with Cannibal Holocaust. Absolutely gritty and terrifying... it just feels so real... Real animals slaughtered... rape... brutal murders... and it all just feels so real, so real that the director was arrested at one point for making a snuff film...

I hated Cannibal Holocaust. It serves it's purpose in horror movie history, but it's completely unenjoyable to watch. That was the movie where I realized that it's totally possible to push the envelope too far. I'm not saying this is you at all, but there are SO many people that say this is one of the best horror movies of all time just because they want to sound brutal. There really isn't anything more brutal than real death, so it get's chosen for that reason.

And I think it gets a lot of unwarranted praise because of that.
But that, of course, is just my opinion. I've watched it once and will never watch it again.

In recent news: Drag Me to Hell deserves all the praise it's getting. Raimi is totally back in Evil Dead mode and then some. Awesome, fun flick.

In recent news: Drag Me to Hell deserves all the praise it's getting. Raimi is totally back in Evil Dead mode and then some. Awesome, fun flick.

Is it seriously good? I thought the trailer seemed very juvenile :p

Edit: I just watched Funny Games, the German original version. I thought i'd just throw it in here. Not a horror film by any means but very unsettling.

And I hardly see why that matters... considering no one is going to remember anything from that thread unless they go and read it.

And why wouldnt you read an older thread if you find the subject interesting?
Thats the beauty with forums you know, conversations automaticly get logged. Just 'cause a comment is 9 months old doesnt make it less interesting.

Is it seriously good? I thought the trailer seemed very juvenile :p

Edit: I just watched Funny Games, the German original version. I thought i'd just throw it in here. Not a horror film by any means but very unsettling.

Well what do you consider juvenile? Do you dislike Evil dead and Evil Dead 2? Then yeah, maybe it's not your kind of movie if you all horror movies to serious, but for all of the horror sub-genres out there my favorite kind of horror movie is one that makes me jump and laugh in the same movie.

Martyrs was the best horror movie I have seen in awhile, but that isn't the kind of movie that I will watch over and over. I might not even watch it again for another 5 years. Drag Me to Hell, I will buy and watch monthly.

-D

Gulp.. :yow:
I have totally missed that Raimi made a new one.
Have to check it out emediatly.

I just wiped the dust off of my LE Evil Dead II Tin box last weak, love it to death.

I've seen the remake of Funny Games. Which was so lame. It was like The Strangers, only not scary and really boring. I'm guessing the German one is much better?

Martyrs was the best horror movie I have seen in awhile, but that isn't the kind of movie that I will watch over and over. I might not even watch it again for another 5 years.

No kidding. It's brutal! And awesome... :D

I've seen the remake of Funny Games. Which was so lame. It was like The Strangers, only not scary and really boring. I'm guessing the German one is much better?

Umm, well the american version is pretty much a scene to scene remake, but i think i liked the american version better. Not many would agree with me on this I think. I guess the movie just didn't appeal to you then :p. I myself am, atleast at the moment, a fan of twisted and slow paced, suspense films. Think David Lynch <3

Ok i'll just stop postin in this thread since i'm just rambling about non-horror movies. peaceout.

I'm planning to see Drag me to Hell very shortly, I've been awaiting Sam Raimi's return to roots.

I recently saw the move Martyr's, I have to say that it's a particularly disturbing horror movie. It was pretty damn good though. I was a bit surprised by the context of the movie actually, it makes some fairly obvious references to actual religious figure-heads (including very current ones) and the way some of them think. While the movie itself is hardly a religious movie, there are certainly obvious statements being made about people's faith and how far they push it for answers.

*Potential spoiler* - In fact the villain in charge of everything has a pretty disturbing resemblance to Mother Teresa's philosophy that suffering brings victims closer to "god", which is why in most of her "safehouse" nursing wards, patients were left untreated and in less than comfortable surroundings before they usually died. Some "saint"...

Well what do you consider juvenile? Do you dislike Evil dead and Evil Dead 2? Then yeah, maybe it's not your kind of movie if you all horror movies to serious, but for all of the horror sub-genres out there my favorite kind of horror movie is one that makes me jump and laugh in the same movie.

Martyrs was the best horror movie I have seen in awhile, but that isn't the kind of movie that I will watch over and over. I might not even watch it again for another 5 years. Drag Me to Hell, I will buy and watch monthly.

-D

Evil Dead series is awesome. :) First one is kvlt root rape.

Martyrs was fucking weird. When the girl bust into the house and blew everyone away with a shotgun... I was just sitting there thinking... wtf?...