The horror movie thread

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Since the "sick of politics" thread kind of turned into a thread about horror movies, I thought I'd start an offical horror thread. I'm obsessed with horror movies. Horror is my favorite genre of film, along with sci-fi. My favorite film of all time is Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece Psycho. In this thread, discuss your favorite horror movies, and the horror genre in general.

Exorcist 3+4 hits of some white blotter= 1 scared mofo...................the way that dude was describing how he was killing all those people freaked me the fuck out..........as well as the part where the old lady was crawling along the ceiling....the movie was pretty cool, not one of the best, but it was cool

Ha ha, come on guys you need to get in a bit more detail on why these are your favorite horror films. What is it about the film that is such a stand out in your eyes? The memorable lines? Extremely tense scenes? Or maybe the entire psychological side of the film, the mindset of the people that are caught in that dreadful ordeal? Give some reasons please.

Besides, I think I clearly revealed what my top horror/thriller movie is. John Carpenter's "The Thing". A master director's own interpretation of John W Campbell's short story "Who Goes There?", and surprisingly staying mostly true to the original story, unlike Howard Hawks' '51 interpretation, "The Thing From Another World".
Sadly, this work of art was severely bashed by critics in the early 80's. Spielberg's "E.T." released shortly after Carpenter's spelled out doom for a potentially stellar box office accomplishment. I think people were more open to the idea of a friendly and well-natured extra terrestial rather than a horrifying, ferocious, and grotesque alien intent on imitating other lifeforms ... that it engulfs.
Critics bashed the gore and cut the movie to the bone as did the general public. I'll admit that the gore is highly intense and some of the most gruesome you'll see, unless you like watching those cheap low-budget gorefests that are rare to come by (thankfully, because they're horrid and pointless).
The gore was great and very creative, however, with special-effects guru, Rob Bottin at the helm doing what he does best. The alien itself could likely be the most grossly, stomach wrenching, and gruesome craft in cinema history. It's Bottin at his best, like the rest of the crew in my humble opinion. A man's head tears in two, forming jaws as a tongue slithers from his neck and whips around it's prey's throat, a dog's snout peels open and blossoms into a gurgling flower of flesh spitting fluid and a lengthy tongue, etc. It was before CGI corrupted television or the silverscreen (Lord of the Rings being an exception, CGI on that level can compete with any).

Getting past the gore for the sensitive is quite a task, but if accomplished one can truly appreciate a simple but outstanding story. From the opening scene, a quick glimpse of the universe-Earth clearly the planet presented-all while a flying craft plummets toward the world. Then to be displayed the bleak, harsh, and dreadful landscapes of Antartica (the most brutal atmosphere in the world, and the loneliest) which is one of the more menacing opening scenes you'll see.
Which is another standout, each frame Carpenter focused on in every scene of the movie (especially the landscape) was filled with dread and infuriating claustrophobia. That's what I love about this work, it draws any viewer (with an open mind) into the narrow corridors of the outpost and the bleak white desert of Antartica-a world of desolation and a brooding terror-and you're just as paranoid as the twelve men inhabiting the solitary no man's land.

Paranoia is a strong element of psychology brought effortlessly into this film, seeing that any one of the men could actually be the thing. In addition to that, Ennio Morriocone's score is brilliant, the throbbing bassline accompanied by an eerie synthesizer masterfully defines and layers the film with the depressing mood and oncoming terror.
The paranoia steadily grows throughout the film after the characters realize what they're dealing with-that anyone of them may not be who they appear to be-the comfort and the humble confidence once possessed, we all see slowly decline to looks of hope gone amiss.

That's what is missing from horror films today ... nothing to draw the viewers in and experience, naturally and instinctively, the human senses. If you want to give us gore then do so, however, with subtlety and as it should remain secondary to the primary focus of fear, dread, and helplessness. Horror films these days suck ... that's all I can say.

While "Halloween" was another work of art crafted by the hands and vision of Carpenter, I will clearly mark "The Thing" as his crowning achievement; the highest ranking horror/thriller film created as well.

While every scene is great in its own right ... I'll name three that further enhanced the "brooding terror" and truly grasped my attention:

After the men had discovered a contorted corpse at another outpost-having Blair examine it-the solitary husky they had taken in the day before standing at the doorway, fixed in a peculiar stance ... staring oddly with a distant menace at the recent discovery. (You'd have to see it.)

The kennel scene. Special effects ahead of it's time. 1982.

And the blood test scene. You won't find many scenes dripping with as much suspense and fear of what may occur soon, as this showed.

And as far as memorable lines go? There are plenty ... I'll narrow it down to only two.

"I don't know what's in there, but it's weird and pissed off whatever it is." - Clark, prelude to the intense kennel scene.

"You gotta be fuckin' kiddin'." - Palmer, in response to seeing a severed head that had sprouted spider-legs and eye-stalks.

Evil Dead is an impressive horror/thriller movie as well. They don't make them like they used to.

P.S. Sorry for the length when you just asked for what our favorite horror films are. I like to go into detail "why?". I'd also like to see some of the reasons to why a horror movie may be everyone's favorite out of the genre ... yeah, you don't have to get in as much detail as me though. ;)

I love horror movies! But you just gotta spare me crap like jeepers creepers... My favorite was probably The Poltergeist trilogy, I remember seeing the first part when I was like 8 or so and was scared as shit, lot of ppl said they didn´t like the third part, but I did, I guess there was something deeper into it rather than just images of appearing ghosts...and the girl actress died after so that made it seem even weirder.
I also have soft spot for Jason Vorhees and Michael Myers. Who hasn´t? :)
Seven also scared the shit out of me.

Thing, Evil Dead, Hellraiser... I also have a thing for really shitty C-movies like the Howling series... never seen so bad acting, the effect were better!

On a sidenote, I think John Travolta is scary, and not in a good way.

Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness = Bruce Campbell, nuff said.
Night of the Living dead Trilogy - Classic - Zombies own
Return of the Living Dead - Naked Zombie chicks and cheesy fucking 80's pop and some cool gore make this film kick ass.
Gates of Hell - Suicidal Priests own/Fulci
Zombie - Door spinter into the Eye, zombies on fire kick ass. Kinda boring but some of the violence make up for it.
The Thing - Bad ass special effects, made me sick as a kid.
Dead Alive - He kills zombies with a lawnmower...makes my wife sick$
Bad Taste - Not really horror, kinda scifi, but people eat puke, kill seaguls. and its funny!
The Howling - Werewolves are cool
The Howling 2 - This is actually one of the worst movies I have ever seen, with horrible acting, little gore, and werewolf sex. The only factor that makes it on my list is the huge amount of titties shown. ANd the fact that the end credits have the main werewolf chick ripping her shirt off over and over and over, which made me love it. Oh yeah and the awesome "Howling" song played over and over haha.
Dog Soldiers -Excellent werewolf flick with plenty of gore.

Can't think of many more, my collection is not with me. Dog soldiers is the only movie within the past 10 years or more that I thought was a decent horror movie, that was sort of serious. I liked House of a 1000 corpses, but only the Dr.Satan part at the end.

Evil Dead said:
Dog Soldiers -Excellent werewolf flick with plenty of gore.

Can't think of many more, my collection is not with me. Dog soldiers is the only movie within the past 10 years or more that I thought was a decent horror movie, that was sort of serious. I liked House of a 1000 corpses, but only the Dr.Satan part at the end.

Yeah! Dog Soldiers was great! :worship:

Dr. Giggles anyone?

I would have to say the movie that scared me the most was Pet Cemetary. I was about 9 years old and my mom rented it for me for my birthday( my mom rules) and that movie scared the shit out of me.
I don't know other than that because alot of the movies that scared me then are nothing but humorous to be me now.
I did like the new Dawn of the Dead. The first 15 minutes of that movie were awesome.

I keep begging my mind to release that fucking dumb ass movie from my memory but it won't....

I had to get back in here one more time....If you liked it E.D. that's cool...
The above is just my opinion.

Evil Dead said:
anyone remember "the people under the stairs?"

I just remember the creepy kids under the steps, but I saw it when it came out and that was it, but couldnt remember if it was cool. Ill assume not hah.

Anyone remember Death By Dialoque? Kinda B or C category horror movie, but I have to admit I liked the main "ghost"

Excellent thread..

My Favs are:

• The Exorcist
  • Night/Dawn/Day Trilogy
  • Hellraiser I & II
  • Return of the Living Dead I & II (Would you get the damn screwdriver,out of my head!)
  • Evil Dead I & II
  • They Live (Horror/Sci-Fi) - Southparks crippled parody of the fight scene was excellent!
  • Candyman (I saw this one in the theaters on acid... yeah, blew my mind)
  • Jacobs Ladder
  • Dead Alive (The lawnmower scene does rule!)
  • Re-Animator
  • Phantasm - Angus Scrimm !!
  • Nightmare on Elm Street (Yeah, I'm a sucker for Freddy's one liners)
  • Freddy's Nightmares - Remember this TV series...
I still want to see the Japanese Horror films "The Eye" and "Audition" - anyone seen these yet?

I watched the original "Halloween" this weekend for the first time in a while. I can't believe I forgot how amazing this movie is. Forget about the inferior sequels and the blatant subpar rip-offs like Friday the 13th or Scream (Nightmare On Elm Street sucked as well), nothing was creepy about any of those projects.
To this day Halloween is still a creepy movie. I don't scare easy and hardly do I get shivers running down my spine, however, the scene after Strodes' discovery of the deaths of her friends, where she hopelessly backs into the dark corner and Myers' face slowy materializes from the shadows behind her is a standout.

It also didn't rely on gore like the crap being put out these days. The camera shots dripped with atmosphere, and the pleasant community of Haddonfield made you feel comfortable ... until the somber keys slowly entered the atmospheric frames, you knew something was terribly wrong.

It's the pinnacle of horror or suspense if you ask me. It's a shame it provoked others to copy the original (yet simple story) to produce pathetic rip-offs. Endlessly it has been imitated ... it will never be surpassed.

Believe it or not, I have yet to see "Evil Dead" or "Evil Dead 2" (I've seen "Army of Darkness") and I love Bruce Campbell's work. I've heard great things about them. What's so good about them? And am I missing out?

Evil Dead was an attempt at a legit horror flick. It has lots of cheesy gore and horrible acting, but the atmosphere I always thought was great. Its pretty funny, but a little boring at some points. A girl gets raped by a tree though, and it was that part that scarred me for life when I was little.

Evil Dead 2 is just funny. It is basically a remake of Evil Dead 1. Alot more comedy and less gore. But the best parts are when Ash's hand gets possessed and he has to cut it off and battle it. Also the whole "hooking a chainsaw to my hand" thing is pretty cool. The "evil dead" that go through the woods have a cool eerie sound. 2 is my favorite. Check em both out. :headbang: