Miscellaneous movie thread

Bev, I do have Children of Men.

Re: the camerawork, it didn't really make me feel queasy until the last half hour or so (but then it's an 80 minute film). I was sitting closer to the screen than I normally do too, so perhaps that had something to do with it. I've seen a few movies over the years and none of them had any physical effect on me before Cloverfield.

Would love to see it again, actually.

Well I'll be damned... we went to see Cloverfield tonight, got to the scene with the crawlers in the subway and then left. But not because of my vertigo... Jess went ghost white and nearly fainted from the motion of the camera.

I loved what I had seen up until that point, probably won't bother seeing it at the cinema again. Will just wait for the dvd

Yeah, I was quite shocked because I get really bad vertigo and I felt fine watching it. I can understand why alot of people complain about it though, I personally thought the concept and the way they pulled it off was brilliant

I'd been meaning to ask about those ones. Helena Bonham-Carter is some sort of distant relative of mine, so I'd better go see her and my man Johnny D. Is it a pretty dark film?

So, has anyone seen anything else recently?

Everyone go hire Oldboy - it'll fuck with your head like it did mine.

Oldboy is unreal!

Have you seen the others in the trilogy - Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (first) and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (third - with cameos from the main actors throughout the series!)? The first one is great!

Absolutely loving Korean movies, food, booze and women these days.

Some other Korean cinema I've been digging lately:

The City of Violence - violent beat 'em up, good fun.

A Bittersweet Life - more revenge. All their movies seem to be focused on brutal revenge ... so I actually fear them murdering me when I date them now!

No Mercy for the Rude - mute hitman saving for an operation so he can speak to his woman.

Attack the Gas Station - black comedy satire & commentary on youth.

Finally someone else who's seen Oldboy! It's a crazy film. I've not seen the other two in the trilogy, but I certainly aim to.

I'm quite a fan of all things Korean as well (never had the pleasure of sampling the women though!). I've come to expect quite a lot of Korean films, though obviously not the sappy love ones they churn out. I'm gonna have to go look for the ones you recommended. Most of the ones I've seen have been on SBS.

Yeah, very violent as well. Great stuff. :)

Make sure you know it's a musical, of course, if they're not your thing. It's mostly singing.

Oh it's a musical? Hmmm I may or may not like it then. I usually like to keep my singing and movies separate. :)

Oh it's a musical? Hmmm I may or may not like it then. I usually like to keep my singing and movies separate. :)
Being a Burton musical, Sweeny Todd shouldn't be a problem, A Nightmare Before Xmas was fantastic as was the Corpse Bride

I also went to see Sweeney Todd last night. 'twas very enjoyable! I didn't know the story at all before going in, which made it better.

I watched Ned Kelly (w/heath ledger) the other night, it was pretty good, actually. Surprised it bombed.

Yeah I thought it was OK when I saw it too.
How pissed off would you be with the schoolteacher who stopped the train from derailing! They say no police were actually shot dead during his (Neds) capture, I guess that had to embelish a few things to make it more enthralling.