Review the last movie you saw thread

You could always go to IMDB and see what's rated highly and go from there.

I took the kids to the cinema yesterday. Smurfs had just finished, so we went to Power Rangers. I've never really been up with what PR is, but it might have been better if I was a teenager. The kids enjoyed it enough though, which I guess is the main thing.

A solid 3/5 to Alien: Covenant. Not entirely necessary, nor does it have the same impact as the first two films in the series, but I can think of far worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon. It would work much better as a stand alone sci fi/horror because making it part of the Alien universe creates a very different set of expectations that it can't hope to meet.

Damon Lindelof's absence makes it MUCH better than Prometheus (can I have that talentless hack's head on a plate please?) and I appreciate the effort they made to bridge the gaps between that film and this new one. John Logan's name in the credits ensured we'd at least get a solid storyline and decent script. As always, he didn't disappoint. Did I mention he's a friend of a friend and the patron of a local theatre group whose shows I go to regularly? Gloat gloat...

I watched Sphere again last night. The one with Dustin Hoffman. One day I'll remember how shit it is /before/ I get half way through it. It's got me like 3 times now.

They find an alien spaceship that's been buried under the sea for 400 years, and when they go inside they find a Sphere. Then a bunch of shit happens for no real discernible reason and in the end all is forgotten and they get on with their lives. Except for the hundreds of people who saw weird shit happen at the end, and all the people who new about the weird shit at the start.

It's based on a book by Michael Crichton, which is apparently quite good. It's just that it's a "psychological thriller" and a lot of the drama is in the characters though processes, and that's quite hard to film.

I watched Rad the other day, having previously seen it sometime in the 80s. It's the most 80s film I've seen in yonks. BMXs, jocks, montages etc.

I also watched all the Mad Max films in the last few weeks. The only one that wasn't very good was the third one. The others were all excellent.

I watched CHiPs the other day, I remember loving the TV show as a kid, the movie was nothing like it. It had funny parts, but also parts that where blue just for the sake of it, took the comedic effect out of it

Cars 3...wasn't looking forward to it really.

But then they introduced Smokey...

Henry "Smokey" Yunick has been one of my lifetime heroes...they flubbed it a bit, as "The Best Damn Garage in Town" was actually AT Daytona Beach....

Before that was Logan...loved it

Homecoming is the best Spidey film since the second Tobey Maguire one. Peter was a bit 'gee whiz, Mr Stark!' at times, but it makes sense because this version of the character is barely fifteen.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

His desire to be part of The Avengers was a big concern for me. I'm glad he decided to do no such thing and chose instead to grow into the Spider-Man I know, who works alone for the most part and only joins a team when he wants to razz Johnny Storm
smiley.png

Interesting to see a younger, feistier take on Aunt May. Having spent a big part of my life picturing her as she appears in the comics, Marisa Tomei proved to be a very pleasant and not altogether un-hot surprise. So did Gwynnie, but I've always been fond of her.

I rewatched Back to the Future II the other night. 2015 didn't quite turn out as depicted.

It Comes At Night sounds like a horror. A bad one then?

I rewatched Romeo Must Die.

Not a great film, especially not compared to some of Jet Li's legitimate masterpieces, but extremely fun, savvy, well-paced, stylish and action-packed. Cool blend of "urban" culture, martial arts, comedy and organized crime.

I watched Reservoir Dogs in the 90s and rewatched it last night. It has the best ear removal scene I've seen.

I tried rewatching the first of the new Star Wars films, the one with Jar Jar Binks, but my daughter and I got bored, so turned it off. Are the other ones better?

Hereditary is one of the best films I’ve watched in many a year, horror or otherwise. I’ve paid to see it three times, and I never do that for films not called Star Wars.

The Nun is an entertaining little chase about in an Exorcist meets Indiana Jones sort of way. I like The Conjuring, but I wonder how many of these spinoffs are necessary.

Very broadly, a family tragedy that turns into a nightmare. This film will *wreck* you.

I also recommend Searching. A solid, well-structured mystery with a ton of red herrings that earns bonus points for clever use of technology and social media as narrative devices. Well worth your time, though I could have done without the montage of the kid's mother dying from cancer. It won't sting so much if you haven't been through it.