Miscellaneous movie thread

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
There's a horror thread, so here's a thread to talk about other types of movies.

I hired Moulin Rouge the other day. I thought it'd be a semi-serious film about the place, but it ended up being a fucking musical. I'm sure I used to know it was one, but forgot. Ewan MacGregor is fucking annoying.

Discuss this, or something else to do with movies.

I quite liked the movie - I thought the cover of Roxanne was pure class.

I saw Fun With Dick and Jane a week or so back and that was quite possibly the worst film I've seen since Spanglish. Honestly, there was one funny scene (the robot one) and that was IT. The rest of the movie was shocking. With the worst ending ever. (apart from Spanglish)

I guess I'm just not really a fan of musicals. Or people like EG crapping on about love all the time.

I've heard Spanglish isn't the best. What did you think was so bad about it?

Fun With Dick and Jane - is that the Jim Carrey one?

Yeah, it's the Jim Carrey one - and the WORST Carrey movie EVER bar NONE. Even worse than Liar Liar. (although admittedly, I haven't seen that film for years)

Spanglish - the most pointless movie ever with so many little side stories that don't have ANY involvement in the movie, the whole thing goes nowhere - there are random scenes that you just sit there going: "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?" and the fact that the movie is called SPANGLISH. It should be about a Spanish woman and how the communication to an English family is funny/hard/heartwarming, WHATEVER. That's why the movie should be called what it is - it tells about the movie.

BUT NO. IN THIS MOVIE. SHE LEARNS ENGLISH ABOUT 20 MINUTES INTO THE FILM. SO THERE GOES THAT STORYLINE.

ARGH.

I hate the film so much.

But I also LOVE to hate the film so much. When I get drunk with my mates who saw it, we just sit around laughing about all the bad scenes and it's great - I see it sort of like a modern day Plan 9.

I wanna make a movie called "Finnglish" where a young Finnish man by the name of Tony is taken in by an obnoxious American couple to be the piano tutor for their "out there" gothic daughter

We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll laugh again

And that's only because all of the dialogue will be based on Sonata Arctica songs :p

Celestial-Todd said:
I wanna make a movie called "Finnglish" where a young Finnish man by the name of Tony is taken in by an obnoxious American couple to be the piano tutor for their "out there" gothic daughter

We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll laugh again

And that's only because all of the dialogue will be based on Sonata Arctica songs :p

:lol: Haha that's a fuckin classic, Todd! :lol:

Ah yes, The Blues Brothers! That was a decent film, not that I've seen it in years.

What's Plan 9 about? The Meanies have a song called Plan Nein, the title of which I assume came from the film.

Let us know what you think of the Texas remake when you finish it, Brian.

Haha it's good to have films you hate that much, ceydn!

Dang, I thought it was the third. That makes three I haven't seen! How does it compare to the others?

Winmar said:
Let us know what you think of the Texas remake when you finish it, Brian.

I've seen it before. I liked it as a retelling of the same story rather than a remake of another film. R. Lee Ermey is awesome, as always. If you're a fan of the original, as I am, it's easy to be disappointed, but I just went into it watching it as a new movie with an old story, and for me it worked.

There was a crappy action movie on after the cricket the other night.. A Better Way To Die. It was good. That is all.

TCM remake wasn't bad - I enjoyed it, but I didn't get the story at all. That's where they fucked up. What the hell was that old fat lady and the baby thing all about? Bah.

Plan 9 From Outer Space is this old 'sci fi' movie that's seen as the 'worst movie ever made' - which eventually became it's tagline. Space ships on strings and shit like that.

I thought Moulin Rouge was a good film, but I personally didn't enjoy it. It didn't appeal to my tastes, but it was obviously fairly good for what it was. I do like some musicals though...I am a fan of Chicago.

I like Jim Carrey. I liked Liar Liar. I will see Fun With Dick And Jane sometime.

Harry Potter 4 was great. I am a fan of the series, and the films keep getting better. Actually, I think the third might be my favourite, but anyway, the new one is still great.

One of the best films I have seen in ages was '11:14'. I hired it on a whim, and I loved it.

I watched Skeleton Key two nights ago, and ended up really liking that as well. Great ending that makes you think about all the foreshadowing throughout the film. Loved it.

Moulin Rouge was bloody awful. I saw it with my current stepmother (who looks like Sharon Osbourne) when it first came out and she didn't stop blubbing the whole way through. I felt like having a bit of a cry myself after that, lamenting the two hours of my life I'd never get back.

My last film was Mrs Henderson Presents, which was camp as a troop of boy scouts in the front row of an Abba concert, but full of very English humour and nubile young breasts ;).

If it's still on when I have time to see it, next up is Goodnight and Good Luck.

W

I saw The Island last night.
Alot better than I thought. I read some shocking reviews about it, but I really liked it... so the reviewers can eat my ass and balls. Cool Sci-Fi with an interesting story and theme. And Scarlett Johansson is FUCKING HOT :headbang:

Did you know for that movie, during the sex scene, Scarlett wasn't happy and just said: "I'm not acting as well as I could, let me take my bra off!" but Michael Bay (I think he's the director?) said: "No, we have to keep this movie PG 13!!"

Idiot.