the I LOVE LOGIC thread

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
Lately I was thinking about switching over to protools 9 but after using it for one day I am back to the Logic 9 game.

I dont say protools is bad or anything but its not right for me (right now)

so instead of blaming a software I want to make a thread about all the good things of another software:

So the I LOVE LOGIC thread:

-total delay compensation for all outboard and plugins.
No numbers to type in, just using the I/O plugin and ping it. Always 100% correct.
Even reamps get lined up perfectly

-Editing protools style but with other editional stuff that realy makes life easier.

-No software problems with anything and being rock solid

-gets the job done without any crashs and stuff

-MIDI ( i hate software instruments) but you need them to get the job done.
Logics way of doing midi is just awsome

- freeze, bounce in place

workarounds aside , I do prefer logic 9 over every other daw right now, but these points would realy make it perfect!!!!

1.Arrange tracks in the mixer window like you want
2.no clicks when playback heavy sessions
3.no need for 2. circle bounces (see point 2.)
4.beeing able to use flex-time on parts only and not on the full session (like protools does with beat detective)
5.no safe-solo, so you can use outboard without pressing ctrl+s on the solo buttom of the output channel , BTW I realy dont know why this is even an option...
6.Panning like in protools.... -100 ->+100 and stereo tracks with panning for both sides

workarounds aside , I do prefer logic 9 over every other daw right now, but these points would realy make it perfect!!!!

1.Arrange tracks in the mixer window like you want
2.no clicks when playback heavy sessions
3.no need for 2. circle bounces (see point 2.)
4.beeing able to use flex-time on parts only and not on the full session (like protools does with beat detective)
5.no safe-solo, so you can use outboard without pressing ctrl+s on the solo buttom of the output channel , BTW I realy dont know why this is even an option...
6.Panning like in protools.... -100 ->+100 and stereo tracks with panning for both sides

i loveeeee logic as well. I'm still using 8 but i think i might have a few answers to your problems with it.. if in #2 your saying you can't bounce a mix with the click/metronome playing you can! you just can't bounce if offline bounce with the playback and the metronome on and it will work haha

and 6 is the stupid thing about logic :( but any track with stereo information your panning use the direction mixer plugin at the end of your chain to pan both sides one way instead of just lowering the volume on one side, hope that makes sense

... LOGIC FTW

Using Logic for everything , composing with logic is a pleasure . Learning new tricks all the time , not sure what it would take to change to another DAW but I really don't see it happening any time soon .

I tried to like Logic.
Used it only cause the great delay compensation engine , freezing tools and the efficient CPU use, but i hated so much stupid things like can't arrange all the channel strips in the mixer view as i want. Not having the option to "CMD+ Z" if i move accidentally a fader...etc. Even I disliked the length of the faders (too short) and the 64/63 pan thing.

Logic it's an incredible and magnificent power tool, but daws are matter of taste. Pro Tools 9 arrives and never look back.

Pretty sure you can do this man. Cut up the region into a smaller section (the part you want to flex, or dont want to flex) then if you turn flex on, the little drop down box where quantisation etc is, there is a tick box for "Flex". Tick it or untick it! Unless your on about something totally different... haha

I'm in the same position as you though dude, I use Logic for EVERYTHING. 100%. I'm still kind of tempted to check out Pro Tools 9 but "dont fix what isnt broke" aye!

Logic was the main reason I bought a Mac.
After working on a friends project using mac/logic I found I enjoyed making music again. As the o/s and daw I was using at the time really hacked me off.

Lack of some AU plugins is a shitta.

Pretty sure you can do this man. Cut up the region into a smaller section (the part you want to flex, or dont want to flex) then if you turn flex on, the little drop down box where quantisation etc is, there is a tick box for "Flex". Tick it or untick it! Unless your on about something totally different... haha

I'm in the same position as you though dude, I use Logic for EVERYTHING. 100%. I'm still kind of tempted to check out Pro Tools 9 but "dont fix what isnt broke" aye!

found that out today. One problem solved.

i loveeeee logic as well. I'm still using 8 but i think i might have a few answers to your problems with it.. if in #2 your saying you can't bounce a mix with the click/metronome playing you can! you just can't bounce if offline bounce with the playback and the metronome on and it will work haha

and 6 is the stupid thing about logic :( but any track with stereo information your panning use the direction mixer plugin at the end of your chain to pan both sides one way instead of just lowering the volume on one side, hope that makes sense

... LOGIC FTW

I didnt mean the metronom :)

its a playback problem of logic 9 with mix heavy sessions, you get some artifical miss triggers, or delays when you start the song, or bounce it.

Thats why I use 2nd circle bounce, because this doenst happen in the second run

love it too.

keep trying to get into PT, but i always feel like im being slowed down. great shortcuts in logic, stable as anything, CPU efficient

Same here. Realy TRIED to like protools because everybody swears on it and it looks super easy in videos or if lasse shows you something.

I used it for one day.
Programmed drums, tracked guitars

a nightmare.

I wont say logic is better or shit like that, logic is just right for me.