The Inevitable Favorite Album Thread

Which is your personal favorite?

• Total voters
I just can't choose one.
Its way easier to say the least favourite.
The ones i like less are DODS and TGCD, followed close by viva emptiness.
All the others are masterpieces for me, i really can't choose between them.

Beyond that, I haven't heard anything else I liked off of any of the older albums.

Someone who doesn't like Deadhouse! And Quiet World. And In Death A Song.. and so on... at him lads! :D

No seriously, I kind of wonder if there's some trend visible who likes which album and who doesn't.

I went with NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY. That album is still a masterpiece to me. But a very close follow up is THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE. The only reason NITND is currently ahead of TGCD is because TGCD had too many great songs cut off of it, whereas I believe everything that was finished was included on NITND, thus making it a more complete sounding album. Of course that will be ruined when they release the next "b-side" though. After that, I have come to appreciate a few songs off of VIVA EMPTINESS and a couple songs from LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN. Beyond that, I haven't heard anything else I liked off of any of the older albums.
Jack

Wow so you haven't heard a single song that you liked in TD, DO and BMD.

P.S Boy, Katatonia fanbase is changing:)

Wow so you haven't heard a single song that you liked in TD, DO and BMD.

P.S Boy, Katatonia fanbase is changing:)

I will grant you this, I have only heard each of those albums once, and not since TGCD came out. But I don't remember the vocals being anywhere near as appealing as they were on TGCD and that immediately turned me off (same with LFDGD and VE). LFDGD has one of the best intro songs for an album I have heard in many years. When "Dispossession" starts up, it's amazing...until Jonas starts singing. He was definitely the weakest element in Katatonia's early stuff, whereas now I find him to be the strongest element (an amazing improvement and growth, in my opinion). To be fair, I should go back and give their earlier stuff another listen, however I think it will be in vain. As I have said many times before, vocals are the most important part of music for me. If those aren't working for me then nothing else in the music will either.
Jack

I will grant you this, I have only heard each of those albums once, and not since TGCD came out. But I don't remember the vocals being anywhere near as appealing as they were on TGCD and that immediately turned me off (same with LFDGD and VE). LFDGD has one of the best intro songs for an album I have heard in many years. When "Dispossession" starts up, it's amazing...until Jonas starts singing. He was definitely the weakest element in Katatonia's early stuff, whereas now I find him to be the strongest element (an amazing improvement and growth, in my opinion). To be fair, I should go back and give their earlier stuff another listen, however I think it will be in vain. As I have said many times before, vocals are the most important part of music for me. If those aren't working for me then nothing else in the music will either.
Jack

Then we really differ in vocal expactations because TD and LFDGD has the best vocal lines I have ever heard in my entire life... Actually most probably Jonas is the biggest reason I'm such a fanboi now of these albums. Of course the music also rules but without Jonas it would be vain.

You really should give a try to Strained, For My Demons, Right Into The Bliss...pfff Maybe you should give a try to entire album a few more times.

What he said. It could not be any further from the truth really. Without Jonas, the tracks do not have the same feeling.

I guess to my ears his voice sounds "amateurish" on his earlier stuff. The current tone of his voice and the vocals he does now are very soothing, subdued, haunting and beautiful. With the tone he uses now, even the slightest, most subtle changes in his voice are very effective and send chills down my spine. On the older stuff, he sounds more like any average "Joe Schmoe" who is singing in his room with nothing special or unique in his voice (of course there are some exceptions...like for example "Omerta" and "A Premonition" are very good vocally). I don't know how else to explain it though. I love the music from all of their songs on those albums (except maybe "One Year From Now"...I can't stand that whole "waltz" sound). So by all accounts, if his vocals were as good as they are on NITND and TGCD, I guarantee that one of those two albums would be ahead of NITND or TGCD. But the vocals are the only thing I can't seem to get past on their older stuff. :erk:
Jack

Generic as in the packaged product alternative bands that make up the majority of your signature? Someone might want to tell them to stop biting the Pearl Jam singers style. The 90's are over.

Please don't overhype Pearl Jam. I couldn't care less who does what type of style first. All I care about is who I believe does it the best and perfects a certain style further. All the bands I listen to have their own unique features in them that are not in any other band.

All the bands I listen to have their own unique features in them that are not in any other band.

Are you serious? :lol: Man you're a trip. Most those bands are the exact definition of generic. How you made your way here is beyond me.