The Initial Impressions Thread

AchrisK

Weakling
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona, USA
www.musicbuyingfreak.com
We have the thread where you tell us what you got, and the thread where you tell us what you’re really liking, but this thread is for first impressions.

So give us your initial evaluation of albums you are hearing for the first time, or if you're like me, albums that you have had for a while but never really became familiar with. Include a brief description of the music as well.

Did you have expectations? Were they met? Did they create possibly undue disappointment?
Was it immediately appealing?
Did it immediately suck?
Is it something you can see growing on you?

Come back later and see if your opinion changed.

Go.

Yyrkoon - Unhealthy Opera

I have listened to it once, and really enjoyed it. Pretty much straight death metal. It doesn't have anything that annoys me, and it seems to have enough variation to set the songs apart, and to keep my interest. I tend to get annoyed and angry when a band puts out some standard collection of metal riffs that we have all heard before, without giving them any life.

I have always wanted to like this band, because I like the story that the band name comes from. I have an older release from them, Oniric Transition, and I was never really very impressed with it. I can't even remember what it was like.

I'll start with Systematic Chaos (Dream Theater). I first though it was almost the worst album I've ever heard (not just from DT)... but, finally, I got used to the music... and actually, I don't think of it as a really bad album.

Hooded Menace - Fulfill the curse
Death/Doom
First impressions, this is some sick, heavy death doom. After the first few songs I got well into the music, all the way through the great outro. Solid album.

I'll just list these two for now, I might jet back later with more.

1. Excoriate's "On Pestilent Winds..."

I gave this a spin I believe yesterday. Kicked my ass all the way through. Also the overall structure was just totally in your face blasting death metal that quenched my ears. I believe I'll spin it more in the future.

2. Rammstein's "Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da"

Of course, I have a review up for this album. Besides tracks 6 and 11 its pretty damn solid and just about what I expected to hear. I gave it a spin once again yesterday. Quite a promising band and a nice album to have around for industrial mood occasions.

Death/Doom
First impressions, this is some sick, heavy death doom. After the first few songs I got into the music, all the way through to the great outro. Solid album.

Checkin' out the new Squash Bowels album, Grindvirus, to see if it is purchase-worthy. Love Songs was, imo, a letdown...they were great live at MDF in '08 though...this sounds pretty good so far.

Katatonia's newest: Fucking awesome. I said before that some on here will not like the obvious Opethian vibes, but it's a much more subdued, textured album. Fucking awesome.

Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost

After one listen, I think this is a pretty fun disc to listen to. Nice short songs of an interesting mix of thrash, death and black metal. Seems like something I can definitely get into, but I wonder if it will become nothing special after familiarity sets in. Hard to say at this point.

Sleep Terror - Probing Tranquility

Overall it's a pretty interesting sound. I've never heard the band before. I must say it's a excessively technical/mechanical sounding, but definitely unique and certainly catchy in parts.

Death/Doom
First impressions, this is some sick, heavy death doom. After the first few songs I got into the music, all the way through to the great outro. Solid album.

She'll love you then kill you
tear your heart out
and live forever!

Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation

First impression: this is pretty standard. Good vocals, decent song structure, but nothing grabbing or memorable.

I really don't care that much about post-TD Katatonia but I may actually buy this one to check it out instead of wait till Thanksgiving to download. And I'm such an immense faggot of course that Opeth similarities are actually a good thing..

Listening to the new Church of Misery album, and honestly the way the first track started out I was expecting it to be super dark musically but now here I am listening to them jamming away making music Wino wouldn't be afraid to make whilst singing about serial killers.

Good as fuck though.

I take it Idle Blood is the Opeth-y track you guys are referring to? Sounds a little bit like some parts of Damnation I guess.

I get that a lot of people complain about their disjointed songwriting but I'll never understand why if you guys all hate Damnation too..the only thing on that album that's at all disjointed is Closure, and still no where near the awkwardness of their first albums.

Damnation has other problems, such as being completely devoid of metal parts, even when a metal part would work really well. Basically, very forced and the songs are too long.

Wait, what am I doing?

NOOOO! NOOO! OPETH DISCUSSION BAD

Also, my initial impression of Atheist - Piece of Time is that it rules the shit out of Unquestionable Presence (which itself was fucking awesome). Ozzman is a fucking idiot for selling this to me.