The Katatonic feeling

daimonion

Jan 6, 2004
I did a thread on this some time ago, but seeing as how this board is pretty quiet anyway, I thought I might as well take it up again as I don't have the energy to dig up the old one.

Which bands give you some of the same feeling as you get from Katatonia? Doesn't have to be copies, but something that you feel could compare.

My Dying Bride, Amorphis, Porcupine Tree, Anathema. Can't think of anymore at the moment, but these bands definitely express emotion that I can relate to.

Hmm.. come to think of it, I might have a suggestion of my own: Greyswan - Thought tormented minds. Kinda like Katatonia, only more doomish and with a more operatic singer.

operatic singer? Then it can't be katatonic. A big part of the katatonic feeling, at least for me, and I think it is to as well, is Jonas vocals of pure emptiness (from D.O to V.E.) and first sorrow and destruction (from J.E.M-R to D.O).

Daylight Dies or Rapture as for earlier Katatonia.

Tool and A prefect Circle are quite in the mood of Viva Emptiness too.
I would recommend Klimt 1918, they are quite influenced by katatonia and The Cure, a very interesting Italian band I've just dicovered ( I'm going to see them in may!)

Varg- said:
operatic singer? Then it can't be katatonic. A big part of the katatonic feeling, at least for me, and I think it is to as well, is Jonas vocals of pure emptiness (from D.O to V.E.) and first sorrow and destruction (from J.E.M-R to D.O).
Well, we're not talkin' Rhapsody vocals, either. But Kinda like Jonas, only more operatic, but still with a lot of melancholic emotion, and not too "perfect" if you know what I mean.

i think only Katatonia can re-create the unique katatonic feeling we're talking about.
concerning the similiar mood, well.. Anathema, Novembre, The Cure, Fields of the Nephilim, Rapture and Daylight Dies of course, so October Tide too.. yes, Klimt 1918 are quite good as well.

I can't think of any band worthy of the description "katatonic feel". Maybe exceptions can be made for Opeth, but they really don't give me that feeling either :err:

Anekdoten

I admire this band now for years. Same as Katatonia they are very unique in the way they play music and express emotions. They are also swedish and released four marvellous albums. My favourite is "Nucleus" because it's the most dense one, the most experimental, but also the most exhausing. I want to highlight the song "Here". Not half an hour ago I had a stange sensation by listening to this song several times in a row. It is so...dense...that I had a feeling of getting part of it...or me getting part of the song. As if being on drugs. And then the lyrics, I think they are worth being read:

here - alone with my fear
if only i could leave this night behind and love life again
if only i could turn the tide and turn back the time

imagining - losing what's real
How i would have needed you to be here by my side
we tore out all emotion
and i'm left with the pain

come, step through my head again and show me where i stand
i need the aim to guide me
leave the time that made the agony burn
lift me up again

the road i thought i'd burned suddenly appearing out of the blue

here and now -
that's where I want to be
released from fears that hold me down,
torpid and drowned and languid...

so come, step through my head again
show me where i stand
i need the aim to blind me
lift me up again, my friend

I think I like them very much.

salisbury said:
Anekdoten

I admire this band now for years. Same as Katatonia they are very unique in the way they play music and express emotions. They are also swedish and released four marvellous albums. My favourite is "Nucleus" because it's the most dense one, the most experimental, but also the most exhausing. I want to highlight the song "Here". Not half an hour ago I had a stange sensation by listening to this song several times in a row. It is so...dense...that I had a feeling of getting part of it...or me getting part of the song. As if being on drugs. And then the lyrics, I think they are worth being read:

here - alone with my fear
if only i could leave this night behind and love life again
if only i could turn the tide and turn back the time

imagining - losing what's real
How i would have needed you to be here by my side
we tore out all emotion
and i'm left with the pain

come, step through my head again and show me where i stand
i need the aim to guide me
lift me up again

the road i thought i'd burned suddenly appearing out of the blue

here and now -
that's where I want to be
released from fears that hold me down,
torpid and drowned and languid...

so come, step through my head again
show me where i stand
i need the aim to blind me
lift me up again, my friend

I think I like them very much.
oh yes I like Anekdoten too!!! Great band!!!
I'm also listening a lot to Paatos in these days, I wouldn't say they have the "katatonic feeling", but both music and lyrics are intense and melancholic.

Anathema, October Tide, Daylight Dies, Porcupine Tree, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Amorphis. There are many other bands that have a different touch to my sad side, but these come closest to that of Katatonia's.