The Katatonic feeling

Drynwhyl said:
bought Anekdoten's first album "Vemod" yesterday.. still under a spell, it's great band for sure.

@ether: your pm storage is full, can't send you my msg :(
oops sorry! now i deleted some messages and there should be enough space..

there are no bands that are very similar to katatonia I think, at least not many, if any, who trades that katatatonic feeling. among influences I see The Cure (+ other shoegaze-bands) and Tool, I'm talking new katatonia here. For the old katatonic feel I consider My Dying Bride and Daylight Dies good candidates.

Hm boys..or girls.....or whatever......who said The Rapture is katatonic? I cant believe .......dont know what disease u are suffering :p
I got The Rapture - Echoes..........and its.....its more like Bowie mixed with Cure. Crap

Lord_AgathoN said:
Hm boys..or girls.....or whatever......who said The Rapture is katatonic? I cant believe .......dont know what disease u are suffering :p
I got The Rapture - Echoes..........and its.....its more like Bowie mixed with Cure. Crap
two different bands, the one that gets the Katatonia comparisons doesn't have "the" in their name. www.rapture.tk

Im into alot of different kinds of shit and mostly there is not a metal act that gives ME the katatonic feeling. Ive recently started to listen to "Red House Painters" and they have a depressive sound to them that is somewhat appealing to me. I am also a long time Jeff Buckley fan, which I find depressing sometimes as well. Porcupine Tree might have a few songs that bring out the most depressive emotion in ME (besides KATATONIA of course). As a whole there is no comparison in consistancy of melancholic feel with other bands though. Katatonia is as consistant as it gets. Some bands might have a few depressing songs, then some rockin shit, then a ballad, etc. I really appreciate Katatonias consistancy with their emotions within the music. How they have changed over the years has not had any affect on their ability to evoke the strongest and most powerful emotions within ME. Though the riffs have evolved as well as their attitudes and outlooks on life, the unrelenting fact is that they have a deep connection with the music as it pertains to them, making it very personal to them, which in turn makes it easier for me to make it personal. Most bands (to me) seem maybe more disconnected from the music they play. Still learning their insturments, or doing the popular thing. Who knows, but the fact remains for me that Katatonia is connected to their music in a way I find to be enthralling and consuming for the listener.

Whoa thats long. :)

that was pretty much obvious right from the start, Katatonia are simply unique and there's no adequate comparison, but it was quite useful reading the suggestions and opinions about similiar mood bands, so many music-mates here.