The Knowing vs. The Knowing

Dog Slayer

Damn Good Ninja
Jun 4, 2006
Perdition City
www.cagexxi.com
As the title implies I'm very curious for an objective compare and contrast review/critique for the re-release of The Knowing and how it fares measured against its original pressing. Since there are apparently no professional reviews of the album (as of this writing), I'd like to hear honest, all encompassing opinions of the album as a whole.

There are a few threads that are already lightly dancing around this question but none approach it directly. I figured that someone had to ask, I can't really see anyone from ND posting this question since it would probably seem like begging for praise. I've had the original version of The Knowing for about 8 years and I still haven't heard the new disc, so lay it on me/us.

well, I sadly do not yet have the rerelese, I got a bunch of credic to a local CD shop for christmas and was planing on ordering it through them but they are not opened until the 29th, so hopefully I will have it soon.

ok, just got my copy, have to say the remaster has a lot more punch to it, it sounds great. The old master's muted sound does fit the concept, but the new master simply sounds BETTER. Just my two seance.

Cool, glad to hear you got it (at least someone around here has, heh.)

I think the 2010 version definitely wins out over the original mix for the fact that the drums and bass are now much more clearly audible and remixed to just sound punchier and better overall. I was always fairly happy with the guitar tones on the original version anyhow.

ya, I was hoping to get it sooner, but at least I got it right? hopefully it will hold me over until Aphotic, can't wait to here something from that, also, I want to say get well soon to Arlene, (sorry about spelling) I saw on paul's twitter she went into surgery recently, my thoughts go out to her.

Thank you the surgery went very well, I can still have kids, long story I was pregnant, the doctors found an enormous ovarian cyst. I miscarried & now I'm having the cyst removed from my remaining ovary. I went thru the same thing when I was pregnant with Rhi & had to have emergency surgery at 21 weeks, where they removed another massive cyst & my left ovary & tube. This is extremely rare, so to be going thru this again is crazy. It's been extremely difficult time I was laid off in July so trying to get on Medicaid took forever & no one will see you when you don't have health insurance. So I had absolutely no pre natal care for this pregnancy. When I was finally accepted on Medicaid by then it was to late. The day after surgery was a nightmare as I will let you read per Paul

Paul Kuhr I had no intentions on posting this publicly, but Arline has asked that I do, for the benefit of our friends who want to be updated…

Today was absolutely the most terrifying day I have every experienced. When I arrived at the hospital in the AM to sit with Arline, she was in a deep sleep. I didn't want to wake her, and let her sleep soundly, and just watched her for 30 minutes. She looked liked she would wince in pain with each deep breath, which I assumed was the surgery pain. A nurse came in and asked if she was sleeping the entire time I was there. I said "Yes" and the nurse said she was going to wake her to give her medication. This is when things get unreal. The nurse tried to wake her, and nothing. She shook her harder, calling out her name… Nothing. She opened her eye lids for her, and slapped her repeatedly, and Arline would not wake up. At this moment, the nurse ran from the room to get help, and within 20 seconds, the room was swarmed with 15 people, and 10 more in the hallway. When the flattened her out, her breathing stopped, and they immediately started CPR on her. Rapid chest compression, and pumping oxygen, trying to revive her. I was in complete terror.

It turns out, and amazingly the hospital cannot tell me exactly HOW this happened, but apparently Arline had an overdose of morphine administered by the hospital. They tried to tell me it was just a reaction her body had to it. I'm not buying that. They orally medicated her at 6 AM, and were supposed to remove the pump. They never did remove the pump, so it put her in what was basically a morphine coma. After CPR to speed up her heart rate, and some IV injections of a morphine counter agent, she finally came around. It took the better part of the day for the remaining morphine to leave her system, and her memory slowly came back.

I can't describe the feeling of watching your spouse in that situation, other then pure horror. I can honestly say, I have never been that scared in my life.

At the moment, she's good, and alert, and hopefully that i completely behind us. At this point, I just want to get her home.

wow, thats all I can say. I am very sorry to hear about all of this, again, my thoughts go out to to you and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Arline,
Wow, very sorry to hear about all of this.
As a parent myself, I know how difficult this had to be for both of you.
I had read Paul's updates on Facebook, but didn't know the full story.
Glad to hear the surgery went well, and you are feeling a bit better.

As for the re-release, I didn't get around to pre-ordering it, as all my $$$$ spending around this time was towards holiday gifts. I did see it at Rolling Stones records last week, so I plan on getting it next time I am there. If not, I will be ordering it for sure. I was interested in the pre-order for the shirt as well.

As the Knowing ranks VERY high for me in your discography, I am very curious to hear how it came out!

Overall, its very good...I especially like the clean vocals on "In Faith"...not real crazy about "Searching the Betrayal", only because it's my favorite track on the CD, I just dig the original that much...great sound all around...well done guys!

I haven't listened to re-release version yet but I'm waiting for my singed copy to arrive so i'll able to tell the difference soon ( I hope)

Just listened to the podcast, and even though I realized the End re-released the album, I had no idea it was re-tooled so to speak. Normally, i'm not a fan of this sort of thing (unless the originals were completely unlistenable) but i'm really interested in hearing this one. I bought the original when it came out and remains one of my favorite albums, so it will be a bit interesting hearing the changes when you're not so used to it hearing it differently.

I don't think any of the vibe that the original version had is missing with the new one, at least. I think being able to hear the drums clearer is a huge bonus no matter how much someone liked the original mix. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, for me it makes all the difference. I can't stand listening to albums where the drums don't sound right and aren't tight. But then again some albums like that get voted highly and are praised to high hell so what do I know? :lol:

I don't think any of the vibe that the original version had is missing with the new one, at least. I think being able to hear the drums clearer is a huge bonus no matter how much someone liked the original mix. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, for me it makes all the difference. I can't stand listening to albums where the drums don't sound right and aren't tight. But then again some albums like that get voted highly and are praised to high hell so what do I know? :lol:

I agree the drums are louder in the remix, but they sound more processed and have a bit less character. Especially the snare. It just sounds like the exact same sound every time it's hit, which sounds fine for the heavy parts of the songs where the snare has to be powerful....but for the softer parts it sounds odd and fake sounding like it came from a drum machine. I especially noticed this towards the end of Aura Blue.

I do like the remix and think it has it's improvements over the original album, but perhaps I'm just so used to the original it's tough to really enjoy the remix as much as I hoped.

Yea i might be a little late with my opinion of the re-release of the Knowing. It was never one of my favorite ND albums but since i got the "RE-Knowing" im getting to re-know the knowing and i listen to it all the time. The new mix is just a better experience overall. I'm a little bit of a production snob so anytime you can make an album sound better im not gonna complain. I"m so happy i finally got it cause' i really love this album now. I'm not sure if it was the sound that kept me from loving it before but i love it now!