The "Last Night Fuckin Rocked and/or Sweet, I'm going to the Show!" thread.

Starless Dragon

Beneath The Starless Sky
Aug 12, 2004
Asscrappy Texas
www.livejournal.com
Last night I was lucky enough to see Amon Amarth live for the 3rd time. Been waiting to see them again with a longer set list for quite a while, and they did not dissapoint!

In fact I think think was probably the best show of the three times I've seen them. They certainly had the best crowd reaction I've seen them get so far. From the opening notes of Valhall Awaits Me straight through to the end, the place went nuts.

Everyone up near the front was pushed together so tightly and knocked around the whole time that when I looked behind me, I could not even see the huge circle pit I was later told was going on during every song.

The crowd was actually louder then Amon Amarth! A great thing to see, and a good sign of a possible headline tour in the future.

During Pursuit of Vikings, Johan had the crowd sing/growl the chorus, and I swear every person there knew the words, it was LOUD.

Bad. Ass.

The sound was great too, nice and clear, and still heavy as hell. Good peircing leads too.

From what I read about the Detroit show, I think we actually got a longer setlist! More like a true, co-headlining tour, then an opening act.

Anyway, as best I can remember the setlist was as follows:

Valhall Awaits Me
Runes To My Memory
Death In Fire
Fate Of Norns
Asator
With Odin On Our Side
Thousand Years Of Oppression
( Yes, they played it! )
Cry Of The Black Birds
An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
The Pursuit Of Vikings

I may have the order a little mixed up, but yes, they played all 10 of those songs.

Needless to say, it was an incredible show. Aside from the great set list it was a really intense, energetic performance as well, Johan ( Hegg ) was prowling around the stage like he was ready to tear us all apart, and he'd break into this huge, viking grin every time he heard the crowd roaring or singing along. Ted, Olavi, and Johan ( Soderberg ) were really into it as well, as best I could tell. The Gypsy Ball Room is a nice metal venue, but the stage is too short, so it's hard to see much other then the back of people's heads and hands, even if you're near the front. I saw Johan Hegg plenty though, since he was on the move constantly so I could see him through the gaps in people a lot more. I could barely see Fredrik at all but I could see his sticks flying now and them.

But it was definitely one hell of an intense performance, with the crowd getting wilder every song and the band feeding off the energy.

I was really surprised to see such a great reaction for Amon Amarth, as before the show, I saw lots of CoB shirts and only a few Amon Amarth shirts. But just about everyone there knew the words and was really going crazy.

Heh, when they started Death In Fire...A Jump session erupted. Yeah, fucking jumping like at some bad emo kid or pop-punk show. First time I'd ever seen a jump get started at a Death Metal show, and the first time it actually fit.

As for the other bands.

Gojira was great. I was one of the few people there who actually knew who the hell they were. ( I have their album From Mars To Sirius. ) If you don't know what they sound like, they remind me a little of Meshuggah, but maybe a little weirder, a little more unique, kind of proggy I guess, but still real heavy. Their album has perhaps the HEAVIEST SOUNDING production I've heard on an album. It's thick as hell and punch you in the face heavy, but still very clear.

I really enjoyed their performance, but I really like the album so that's not a big surprise. I was really impressed by how well they pulled off the super-heavy sound, as well, I didn't know if they'd be able to do that live or not. They did! At least in Dallas.

If anyone is interested, they played:

Ocean Planet
Backbone
Several older songs I didn't know
Heaviest Matter In The Universe

They played a few more from the new album in there but I forgot which ones once AA started playing lol.

CoB I'd seen twice before, so I watched from the back this time. Couldn't see Alexi's or the other guitarist's hands too well from the back, but they sounded as tight and shreddy as usual lol. I did have a good view of the keyboarist, though.

But about half way through their set I realized Johan Hegg was standing by the Merch section, so I went to talk to him. Then, one by one, the rest of the band emerged from back stage to meet and hang out with fans.

I was able to my copy of With Odin On Our Side signed by the whole band, so I can add that to my Versus The World book signed by all hehe.

They are all really nice guys, and all happy to meet the fans, great people.

After the show, my brother and I along with several other people actually hung out and talked with Johan Hegg for like, 20 minutes. Really cool, talked about beer, of course, music, touring, differences between Sweden and US, and so on. Really nice guy, was great to get a chance to talk with him.

Also, he bitched out the merch guy for me. ( In a friendly way lol. )

At the beginning of the show, I wanted to get both a Long Sleeve tour shirt in 2XL, and a short sleeve, Thor's Hammer shirt. I got the Thor's Hammer, and the merch guy told me that the Long Sleeve 2XLs were in the trailer, so I should check back later.

I checked back later, and he told me to try again after the show.

So after the show, while we were talking to Johan, I told my brother I'd have to go get my shirt when the Merch guy went to the trailer. Johan heard me, and asked what I was looking for. I explained, and Johan said to go bug the merch guy for it until he gave it too me lol.

So I went back, and had the following conversation:

Me: "Hey, Johan says to bug you about that shirt."
Merch guy: "Johan said...what?"
Me: "The 2XL long sleeve you said you had in the trailer."
Merch guy: "Oh yeah...Lemme check." He looks through the pile of shirts, then turns back to me. "Oh...Umm...You know what? I don't think we actually have any 2XL long sleeves."

So I settled for the short sleeve, and went back to Johan. He asked what happened and I told him they didn't have any 2XL long sleeves after all...So he gestures for the merch guy to come over, and then shakes his fist at him, literally, when he arrives.

Johan: "What's going on?"
Merch Guy: "What?"
Johan: "You're not taking care of our fans!"
Merch: "Sorry, man, we don't have any more!"

Oh well. It wasn't like I was actually mad, and neither was Johan. I just thought it was funny. What can I say, Johan's cool as hell.

And if the Merch guy's reading this, no worries man. I know you got a lot of shit to put up with back there lol.

Also, as far as the Merch goes, they are selling 2 different T shirts, the tour shirt, and the Thor's hammer. The Tour Shirt is also available in Long sleeve as long as you don't want 2XL.

The tour shirt costs $35, I think, and the Thors hammer, $25. They also have a hoodie for 50, and a girly shirt.

As far as the prices go, those are apparently set by someone from CoB. Probably their management, not the band.

So if you want Merch, bring plenty of cash.

I guess I've rambled on enough. If you have any questions about the show or merch or anything let me know and I'll try and answer it.

thats awesome man. I hope that the show in lawrence kansas will be as good. I wonder why they played only 8 songs on the detroit show..

thanks on your comments,

the band finally heard our cries for a song that should have been played in the past tours as well

thank you AA and I hope you play it in LA and SD among with Ride for Vengence,

I know, I'm pushing it now

so is this true, the othe band droped out and AA gets to play longer?

I'm not sure what happened with Sanctity. They were listed on the venue's wall, but never showed up. ( The venue has all the events for each month painted on the side of the building. )

There was never any mention of them made. Gojira just took the stage first, followed by AA and CoB.

I heard Johan telling some other people about a band that, if I heard him correctly, had their trailer of equipment and their van stolen.

I'm not sure if he was talking about Sanctity, or someone else on a different tour, or maybe even Gojira or something.

Either way, that sucks, and what kind of an Asshole would steal a touring band's equipment and rob them of their way to make a living? Pisses me off.

Anyway, I don't know if that's why AA got to play longer or what.

Maybe there was a curfew and set time restriction in Detroit or something?

There were way too many 13 year old half emo CoB fans there but it was still great... except for the fact that I was in the very front corner, 2 feet away from the speaker and there is still a painful ringing in my ears

I'm not sure what happened with Sanctity. They were listed on the venue's wall, but never showed up. ( The venue has all the events for each month painted on the side of the building. )

There was never any mention of them made. Gojira just took the stage first, followed by AA and CoB.

I heard Johan telling some other people about a band that, if I heard him correctly, had their trailer of equipment and their van stolen.

I'm not sure if he was talking about Sanctity, or someone else on a different tour, or maybe even Gojira or something.

Either way, that sucks, and what kind of an Asshole would steal a touring band's equipment and rob them of their way to make a living? Pisses me off.

Anyway, I don't know if that's why AA got to play longer or what.

Maybe there was a curfew and set time restriction in Detroit or something?
yep its true. on my bday it happened. i guess someone stole the van full of equipment. whoever did that should die. gooooood i got another 4 days until amon amarth comes. cant mother fucking wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, first time visitor to the forums. Im excited about the show coming to Kansas, Ill see you there!

Ah, so it was Sanctity that happened too? That sucks! What a shame. Hope they are able to get their stuff back, and if not, hope they had some insurance on it!

Anyway, you'll love the AA show I'm sure.

Also - Love your Dr. Rockso/Murderface pic there. Last night at the show, between songs, someone yelled out "Dethklok!"

I wonder how long before the gear shows up on ebay. Fucking assholes. That kind of shit really, really hurts a small band like that, because at their level, they just about have to pay to tour in the first place. I am betting that they've no insurance on the stuff, to boot, cuz that costs a shitload in itself.
Anyhow, I'm unna go miss Johan now. Fuck I am so jealous of you, Starless, and not just because I am J's sis, but because I really, really like AA just because they kick so much ass!

(Dude, I just realized how bad it'd suck to be Shania Twain's sister! I'd have had to shoot myself if Johan had decided to front a country band...)

Well since I was at the Dallas show as well, I will just add my comments here. This show was the best I have seen from Amon Amarth. The Pursuit of Vikings moment was just freaking insane! It's funny how you meantion all the COB shirts, because I was one of the people wearing one. But I was more excited to see Amon Amarth's performance that night! I would of bought an Amon Amarth shirt that night, but making the trip to Dallas took most of my money. :erk:

Starless, you have a good memory by the way. Here's the beaten setlist.
aasetlistuc2.jpg

I was a lucky gal that night and was able to get one of Fredrik's drum stick, and Olavi's pick.
aasweeb5.jpg

And one of the interesting Amon Amarth photos I'm sharing from that night. It was late, and I had a bit to drink. But so did the guys! :kickass:
aajfeso6.jpg

I'm bummed now. They didn't play 1000 years in Detroit. From what I recall they play: Vallhall Awaits Me
Runes to My Memory
Asator
Cry of the Blackbirds
An Ancient Sign of Coming Storm
Pursuit of Vikings
Fate of Norns
Death in Fire.
All in all it was a great show. I had to leave right after AA because of the swelling in my eye. Some fucknut punched me whilst I was in the pit. Honorless bastard.

AA knows all about gettin' ripped off and get their gear stolen.
As I recall it, it happened some years ago.:Smug:

Last night I was lucky enough to see Amon Amarth live for the 3rd time. Been waiting to see them again with a longer set list for quite a while, and they did not dissapoint!

In fact I think think was probably the best show of the three times I've seen them. They certainly had the best crowd reaction I've seen them get so far. From the opening notes of Valhall Awaits Me straight through to the end, the place went nuts.

Everyone up near the front was pushed together so tightly and knocked around the whole time that when I looked behind me, I could not even see the huge circle pit I was later told was going on during every song.

The crowd was actually louder then Amon Amarth! A great thing to see, and a good sign of a possible headline tour in the future.

During Pursuit of Vikings, Johan had the crowd sing/growl the chorus, and I swear every person there knew the words, it was LOUD.

Bad. Ass.

The sound was great too, nice and clear, and still heavy as hell. Good peircing leads too.

From what I read about the Detroit show, I think we actually got a longer setlist! More like a true, co-headlining tour, then an opening act.

Anyway, as best I can remember the setlist was as follows:

Valhall Awaits Me
Runes To My Memory
Death In Fire
Fate Of Norns
Asator
With Odin On Our Side
Thousand Years Of Oppression
( Yes, they played it! )
Cry Of The Black Birds
An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
The Pursuit Of Vikings

I may have the order a little mixed up, but yes, they played all 10 of those songs.

Needless to say, it was an incredible show. Aside from the great set list it was a really intense, energetic performance as well, Johan ( Hegg ) was prowling around the stage like he was ready to tear us all apart, and he'd break into this huge, viking grin every time he heard the crowd roaring or singing along. Ted, Olavi, and Johan ( Soderberg ) were really into it as well, as best I could tell. The Gypsy Ball Room is a nice metal venue, but the stage is too short, so it's hard to see much other then the back of people's heads and hands, even if you're near the front. I saw Johan Hegg plenty though, since he was on the move constantly so I could see him through the gaps in people a lot more. I could barely see Fredrik at all but I could see his sticks flying now and them.

But it was definitely one hell of an intense performance, with the crowd getting wilder every song and the band feeding off the energy.

I was really surprised to see such a great reaction for Amon Amarth, as before the show, I saw lots of CoB shirts and only a few Amon Amarth shirts. But just about everyone there knew the words and was really going crazy.

Heh, when they started Death In Fire...A Jump session erupted. Yeah, fucking jumping like at some bad emo kid or pop-punk show. First time I'd ever seen a jump get started at a Death Metal show, and the first time it actually fit.

As for the other bands.

Gojira was great. I was one of the few people there who actually knew who the hell they were. ( I have their album From Mars To Sirius. ) If you don't know what they sound like, they remind me a little of Meshuggah, but maybe a little weirder, a little more unique, kind of proggy I guess, but still real heavy. Their album has perhaps the HEAVIEST SOUNDING production I've heard on an album. It's thick as hell and punch you in the face heavy, but still very clear.

I really enjoyed their performance, but I really like the album so that's not a big surprise. I was really impressed by how well they pulled off the super-heavy sound, as well, I didn't know if they'd be able to do that live or not. They did! At least in Dallas.

If anyone is interested, they played:

Ocean Planet
Backbone
Several older songs I didn't know
Heaviest Matter In The Universe

They played a few more from the new album in there but I forgot which ones once AA started playing lol.

CoB I'd seen twice before, so I watched from the back this time. Couldn't see Alexi's or the other guitarist's hands too well from the back, but they sounded as tight and shreddy as usual lol. I did have a good view of the keyboarist, though.

But about half way through their set I realized Johan Hegg was standing by the Merch section, so I went to talk to him. Then, one by one, the rest of the band emerged from back stage to meet and hang out with fans.

I was able to my copy of With Odin On Our Side signed by the whole band, so I can add that to my Versus The World book signed by all hehe.

They are all really nice guys, and all happy to meet the fans, great people.

After the show, my brother and I along with several other people actually hung out and talked with Johan Hegg for like, 20 minutes. Really cool, talked about beer, of course, music, touring, differences between Sweden and US, and so on. Really nice guy, was great to get a chance to talk with him.

Also, he bitched out the merch guy for me. ( In a friendly way lol. )

At the beginning of the show, I wanted to get both a Long Sleeve tour shirt in 2XL, and a short sleeve, Thor's Hammer shirt. I got the Thor's Hammer, and the merch guy told me that the Long Sleeve 2XLs were in the trailer, so I should check back later.

I checked back later, and he told me to try again after the show.

So after the show, while we were talking to Johan, I told my brother I'd have to go get my shirt when the Merch guy went to the trailer. Johan heard me, and asked what I was looking for. I explained, and Johan said to go bug the merch guy for it until he gave it too me lol.

So I went back, and had the following conversation:

Me: "Hey, Johan says to bug you about that shirt."
Merch guy: "Johan said...what?"
Me: "The 2XL long sleeve you said you had in the trailer."
Merch guy: "Oh yeah...Lemme check." He looks through the pile of shirts, then turns back to me. "Oh...Umm...You know what? I don't think we actually have any 2XL long sleeves."

So I settled for the short sleeve, and went back to Johan. He asked what happened and I told him they didn't have any 2XL long sleeves after all...So he gestures for the merch guy to come over, and then shakes his fist at him, literally, when he arrives.

Johan: "What's going on?"
Merch Guy: "What?"
Johan: "You're not taking care of our fans!"
Merch: "Sorry, man, we don't have any more!"

Oh well. It wasn't like I was actually mad, and neither was Johan. I just thought it was funny. What can I say, Johan's cool as hell.

And if the Merch guy's reading this, no worries man. I know you got a lot of shit to put up with back there lol.

Also, as far as the Merch goes, they are selling 2 different T shirts, the tour shirt, and the Thor's hammer. The Tour Shirt is also available in Long sleeve as long as you don't want 2XL.

The tour shirt costs $35, I think, and the Thors hammer, $25. They also have a hoodie for 50, and a girly shirt.

As far as the prices go, those are apparently set by someone from CoB. Probably their management, not the band.

So if you want Merch, bring plenty of cash.

I guess I've rambled on enough. If you have any questions about the show or merch or anything let me know and I'll try and answer it.

[size=+10]YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] THEY FUCKIN ADDED IT!!! OMG AND WITH ODEN ON OUR SIDE AS WELL!!!!! I SWEAR TO FUCK IF THEY DON'T PLAY IT IN NYC I WILL KILL SOMEONE! PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THIS SETLIST! IT'S PERFECT NOW!! I AM SO FUCKIN HAPPY NOW.

Its been said before, but come play australia! Support CoB when they tour here, damn its a tease seeing all the great songs being played on this tour. Im watching wrath of the norseman, 1000 years of oppression right now, thinking "i wish"

-Save us o lord from the wrath of the norseman!