The Latin-America thread

GONE Ridin' Hood

Professor.
Jul 8, 2005
Well, since most people around here IMHO don't know a thing of how Latin-America really is, I decided to create this thread :) :p .

So, feel free to post all the questions, comments and doubts you may have, and me and my Latin-America counterparts ( :p ) will try to answer them all.

@Siren: WTF is dog music? OMG ¡perreo! :erk:

Perreo = Literally "to dog." Around these parts it is the delibarate action to rub your genitals and other parts (such as your derriere) on others' people body. For example, with regetón you'll usually find the girl bended over with her head to the back (not towards the guy/gal) rubbing her front parts (not her boobs though, that happens when they're drunk) on the guys penis.

And so we have one of the reasons why you have a lot of 14 year old pregnant girls, because the guy just couldn't hold it and the girl was drunk so "What the heck I might as well take advantage."
I'm afraid dog music might be a slight variation of regetón :puke: :erk: .

Run for your lives!!! *runs away for his life* *puts DT* * :) *

I had already sent the PM, but what the hell, here it is:

An explanation on "why most mexicans are racists":

It all started back in the 15th Century. Columbus "discovers America", however, he seems to think he has reached "India" hence, the (wrong) term "Indian" is applied to any natives. The first Spanish men to reach America are in awe about the very special culture of the Aztecs, Incas, and other American cultures. Soon after that, the Spanish empire invades most of Central and south America, and even some parts of North America, enslaving the inhabitants, and destroying all they can about their culture.

After that, the period known as "Colonial" starts in Mexico, which is called that way because Mexico turned into a Spanish colony.

Everyone is forced to learn Spanish, and any non-Europeans are catalogued as nearly animals, and enslaved, except descendants of Europeans who were born in America.

After a few centuries of subjugation, appears an independence movement which ends in Mexico being no longer under Spain's control.

However, the seed of ignorance and discrimination had already been planted on the high and medium classes, and even low-class people who are not of pure indigenous race think they are racially superior to "the Indians".

Nowadays, it is not as strong as before, but still many people, openly or not, despise those who were here first, the indigenous people.

There are, to this day in Mexico, hundreds of tribes that don't speak Spanish fluently and are forgotten by the government and society.

And that's one of the reasons why I don't like this place.

Yeah, but also brown-skinned Mexican people (city-dwellers, mostly) actually tend to discriminate black people. And Jews aren't very welcome anywhere either.

So yeah, we're very racist. Like pretty much the entire world.

And Latin America smells. Awfully. Like pretty much the entire world.

Hmm I haven't seen anyone discriminating black people. But then again, black people here are very seldom found.

I'm interested in the historical presence of Jesuits in Latin-American countries. I know a bit about Argentina, but am completely ignorant as to the other countries. So if you have a bit of history concerning the rapport between the Jesuits and the native cultures after the Spanish invasion, or anything that followed up to present day, I will be glad to listen.

Thank you!

I know little about it. Since the conquest of New Spain the favored ones were the franciscans (Cortés asked specifically for them, and by all means tried to avoid the dominicans), and they actually did a hell of a job by converting the main guys here and sympathizing with the natives. I know jesuits followed and established some of the main universities, so they dealt mainly with the the Spaniards and the creoles. Oh, and with the aztec nobles, or what was left of them.

^ What's LMAO? :p Oh yes and regetón all sounds the same, and please not, it's not music. It's not even shit, shit is too good for that. :yuk:

Now reggaeton, that truly is the Demiurge's worst invention!! the Demiurge I say!!11 Agghhh

What ever happened to that "Latinamerican Union" thing (all countries in Latin-America wanting to unite their currencies into a single one)? Will it happen or not? When? What will it be called? How much will it be worth (compared to something we all know, like dollars or euros; wouldn't make much sense to say it in argentinean pesos, would it?)?

What ever happened to that "Latinamerican Union" thing (all countries in Latin-America wanting to unite their currencies into a single one)? Will it happen or not? When? What will it be called? How much will it be worth (compared to something we all know, like dollars or euros; wouldn't make much sense to say it in argentinean pesos, would it?)?

That was a big joke. There's enough dissention to last for decades. Besides, that's a good thing, considering the actual situation of world economy. Let's first wait until dollar becomes crap and silver gets extinguished (less than 10 years, maybe?) and then we'll see what happens.

True hehe :p . I mean, I belive that any sort of union between Latin-American countries, at least in Central America, is basically impossible. Besides, I wouldn't like to do any deals with those damn Nicaraguan politicians :yuk: (fuck them).

@danny: why? i don't know anything about current nicaraguan politics (i stop at the sandinistas), so i would love to be enlightened on the subject. :)

Well, it's like this Caludia:

Even though Nicaragua's coin (Córdoba) is much more valuable than the CRn one (Colón), Nicaragua is a MUCH poorer country than CR is.

And so, in the last 15 years, CR has received more than 1 million Nicaraguans, both legal and illegal.

Why? Because their country is pretty fucked up, I've been there and the difference is simply amazing!!!

So, a lot of Nicaraguans come here and work as maids or in coffee plantations. That's what most do but obviously not all of them :rolleyes: .

So, CR has been a really good neighbour in that sense, because even though a Nicaraguan does not have a Social Security Id, the hospitals here receive them and do not charge a thing or ask anything in return.

Ahhh, but poor Nicaraguans, they have it so bad.

Thier government is so fucking corrupt, that a couple of years ago they started publishing this articles saying that CR was building up an army!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fucking nonsense.

That and a lot more articles in some government newspapers saying that CR was going to invade Nicaragua, that we couldn't be in the "Río San Juan" (the river that divides CR and Nic.), when we totally can. CR was stupid enough to legally give the river to them, but it is very clearly stated that we can navigate that river as we please. But no, Nicaragua says it's their so when a CRn boat goes into the Nic. side, they come with AK's and shotguns and shit like that.

"One" time they even held hostage some CRns and some US tourists!!!

Bastards.

Then there's the whole "dog" incident thing.

One night, a stupid Nicaraguan went into a house to rob it, but there were dogs and they ate him. :heh: . Anyway, after that the Nic. government sued CR to the Court of Haya (is that the name?) for some shit saying that "How can you let that happen? how could you do that to a fellow Nicaraguan? :cry: "

BULL SHIT.

Fuck, I mean the guy was breaking into a house and dies due to that and they fucking sue us? Idiots.

So relationships were pretty tense, things are a bit better now, but still Nicaraguan government is a lousy piece of shit who is so corrupt that they use CR as an excuse to distract the people.

Don't get me wrong, I truly understand the situation Nic. is in, but I believe that a lot of Nicas don't thank nor aprreciate what my country has done for them.

Oh, I thought I had posted about the Jesuits. They were vanished from Mexico and other Spanish colonies by King Carlos III of Spain, though they came back later.

The man who *pretty much* started Mexico's independence, Miguel Hidalgo, was a Jesuit priest.

In 1857, When the Mexican government decided to enforce separation of state and church, and later in 1917 when the newly re-forged constitution included anti-church laws, the Jesuits were one of the catholic orders that most heavily opposed the government.

In the state I live in, and also in a few other states, this triggered a sort of guerilla war against the government, which lasted for a few years, until the zealot-rebels settled down.

Some of those rebels were proclaimed martyrs, and some more were beatified - some are even on the road to canonization, because they were in life blessed by ignorance.

Right. Some of those "cristeros" later formed a secret group known as Yunque ("The Anvil"), which rised through conservative political parties, industrialists and corporations, and now pretty much controls half of the current administration. Back in the 60s and 70s, their main ideologist was a Jesuit, but he was the exception within th group. Most monks involved are Legionaries of Christ, Opus Dei and the Order of La Salle.

No, it's not a joke.

I was in a LaSallist school for a couple years (primary school, back when I was like 7-8). They used to separate male and female playgrounds.

Legionaries of Christ and Opus Dei are just frightening. I'd rather hang out with Count Grishnackh than with people involved in such organizations, at least CG could make cool music.

Kurt: Forgive my ignorance, but what do the dollar and silver have to do with the possibility or impossibility of a Latinamerican Union?

Danny+Kurt (about dissention and tense politics between latinamerican countries): As far as i know, in order for a country to enter the European Union it has to perform certain actions (which include improving its way of life and may include things like helping the rest of Europe to capture some political criminal who was born in that country) and it can't be at war with anybody (of course, there's no problem when a country that's already in the EU goes to war with someone who isn't, bah, that's bullshit). So a Latinamerican Union could rely on the same principle: you can't be at war or have any political conflicts with another country in Latin-America, and you have to improve your way of life to something similar to the "least-poor" countries in Latin-America (i wouldn't know who those are, though Brazil and Mexico come to mind as probable examples). It'll never be another EU, granted, but at least Latin-America would be greatly-benefitted and would become a stronger presence than it currently is. And perhaps the latinamerican living conditions generally would improve. But i don't know much about the subject, so i'd appreciate some bashing and contradicting so that i can learn more. :)

I think it would be nice, but it's too early to do it.

I believe Latin America is not ready for an EU-like union. It would only turn into yet another layer of corruption and filth. I'm not saying Latin Americans can't do anything right, because we can. I'm saying Latin America is not yet mature enough for this.

The reasons why I think so are probably not strong enough to hold my stand here.

One thing I can tell you is that in several occasions, when Latin America was supposed to support a single Latin country to go to the UN as a security council member, (Not Such a huge task, if you ask me) Latin America could simply not reach consensus.

Many times, the votings had to be re-started with new, different candidates. If Latin America can't even make poll-style decisions like that one, I don't think they can act as a union.

We don't share a common ground on many things.