The leaking on TOC has begun

Since I've ordered it, I allowed myself to check out the leak.

It's a brilliant album. It's more subtle than TGE and parts of it are genuinely mindblowing.

Do ya hafta ruin the moment?
:loco:
wut.jpg

There totally needs to be a pic of me on bottom!

If I were gay I would totally bottom to him! ......lol

I think the album is fucking awesome. I hear a little bit of everything - lots of the guitar work sounds like it could be off of ZOP; some choruses are reminiscent of PTTWM. The thing I like the most about the album as a whole is it has a real haunting vibe. Politics and Dreaming are both haunting albums. The lyrics are for sure, and the guitar work is chilling on both. That was something I missed on the last albums. EOR was just more aggressive than anything (which is awesome in itself) and TGE had some haunting moments (beginning of the title track). But this album has a lot of that type of stuff. And The Maiden Spoke is just fucking amazing - one of the best Nevermore songs ever, for sure. The Termination Proclamation is brilliantly effective in its simplicity as well. Emptiness Unobstructed is also fucking awesome...so epic...it might be my favorite...very eerie vibe to it. Those are my three favorite songs so far.

Awesome job Nevermore, fucking a it's been worth the wait. But please don't let 5 years go by for the next record lol.

I'm listening to the songs I haven't heard now.

It definitly has some old school Nevermore vibes. Fucking great job guys. Really. This blows Borknagar's peice of shit right out of the water. It's been so long since theres been a metal album this great. It's instantly better than TGE. Fucking love it.

Warrel is so good it brings tears to my eyes.

"You lie to me, you slander me, this is why I hate you". Thats that POE rage. Sooooooooo fucking good. The first four leaked songs had me worried this would be Dead Heart part two, but it's sooooo much more than that.

I think the album is fucking awesome. I hear a little bit of everything - lots of the guitar work sounds like it could be off of ZOP; some choruses are reminiscent of PTTWM. The thing I like the most about the album as a whole is it has a real haunting vibe. Politics and Dreaming are both haunting albums. The lyrics are for sure, and the guitar work is chilling on both. That was something I missed on the last albums. EOR was just more aggressive than anything (which is awesome in itself) and TGE had some haunting moments (beginning of the title track). But this album has a lot of that type of stuff. And The Maiden Spoke is just fucking amazing - one of the best Nevermore songs ever, for sure. The Termination Proclamation is brilliantly effective in its simplicity as well. Emptiness Unobstructed is also fucking awesome...so epic...it might be my favorite...very eerie vibe to it. Those are my three favorite songs so far.

Awesome job Nevermore, fucking a it's been worth the wait. But please don't like 5 years go by for the next record lol.

Well said UC - there is a haunting vibe I'm starting to pick up and there is no doubt that the solo work of WD and Jeff has come together as it naturally should. I know the cd isn't even freaking out yet but maybe they should start writing the next one so that it only takes 3 years - somehow they need to get on a quicker cycle to keep themselves in the public eye.

my thoughts after 5-6 listens.

the termination proclamation - bad lyrics, especially the chorus. riffs are so so, nothing really stands out though.

your poison throne - pretty terrible, that whole RISE RISE thing is cheesy as fuck.

moonrise - awesome chorus. the riffs are reminiscent of Inside for Walls, they have a little of that jumpdafuckup nu metal vibe (which I don't mind) sounds like it could have been a Dead Heart b-side.

and the maiden spoke - best song on the album. complex riffs ala the best fast and furious moments on EoR. This is the only fast song on the album that Warrel nailed imo.

emptiness obstructed - the chorus is really simplistic and sounds like in flames with warrel singing. catchy tune, but nothing more.

the blue marble - kinda leans towards an In Memory vibe but not half as interesting as anything on that album. I also hate when nevermore throws in piano, sounds mad cheap/corny.

without morals - More Dead Heart style riffing and a nice chorus, especially when it's extended and warrel ends it with singing the "this is why I hate" line higher, that's what makes the chorus imo. riffs are forgettable though.

the day you built the wall - sounds like a song that didn't make the cut for warrel's solo album, really dumbed-down guitars.

she comes in colors - the best riffs of the album are in this song, one of them reminds me of a heavier version classic annihilator. Don't like the chorus though, sounds forced and the song as a whole didn't catch me as good, but this is one that could be a grower.

the obsidian consiracy - the worst song on the album easily. The lyrics and vocals are very unimaginative and cliched. the riffs sound like Jeff is trying hard to recapture the TGE vibe, but it's not up to par.

IMO Jeff dropped the ball the most, listening to this it's hard to believe that he's the same guy who wrote all those amazingly creative riffs from 1995-2000. And I think Peter Wichers had better thought-out and more way more memorable solos on Warrel's solo album than Jeff showed here.

Warrel sounds great, but he also sounds like he didn't have much interest in writing the fast, aggressive songs and really enjoyed working on the ones that were similar to his solo album, the songs that give the vocals a lot of room to breathe and be more creative.

And I think the drums actually sound worse, more plastic and soulless than Andy Sneap's this time around. so yeah.

I'm listening to the songs I haven't heard now.

It definitly has some old school Nevermore vibes. Fucking great job guys. Really. This blows Borknagar's peice of shit right out of the water. It's been so long since theres been a metal album this great. It's instantly better than TGE. Fucking love it.

Warrel is so good it brings tears to my eyes.

"You lie to me, you slander me, this is why I hate you". Thats that POE rage. Sooooooooo fucking good. The first four leaked songs had me worried this would be Dead Heart part two, but it's sooooo much more than that.

the new Boreknagar sucks soooo hard. awful fucking album. but so far as good as the new nevermore is, i dont think it's close to tge, though, but that could change with time

I, think that this album is amazing. It will definetly grow on me even more, just like TGE did. soon to be an absolute favorite.

Bear with me. I just finished my two first listens to the new album so things may grow on me or they may not. For now I tend to agree with alot of what Azal wrote above although I wouldnt be quite as negative in tone.

In general I find the album to lack inspiration. Again this is after the very first listen to I cant analyze to much but I have heard everything before. I think its actually the performance of Warrel Dane I feel is the most uninspired. TGE was very direct with me - I loved it from the get-go and it stayed that way. I always thought Warred had a special feeling in his vocal delivery but this time around I hear it but dont feel it.

Termination proclamation - I think this track is alright instrumentally but I dont like the vocal melody in the chorus at all.

Your poison throne - Rise, rise, rise? WTF? Again the music is pretty good but the vocal melodies have been heard before - the "your poison throne is obscuring" melody part is definately something we've heard before. Love the solo though.

Moonrise - The intro riff sounds very much like some other riff by Nevermore. Cant remember the song right at this moment though but someone alse can probably identify it closer. The best song so far but I dont feel it holds a candle to most things on anything from DNT through TGE.

And the maiden spoke - The song that instantly popped up as my favorite initially. I really like this one. I got a King Diamond feel in this one - probably has a lot to do with the lyrics. This one is really good. I wish the whole album was as good as this song. For the first time I feel that Warrel contributed something new to his sound without loosing his personality. Good stuff!

Emptiness unobstructed - I like the verse and pre-chorus in this one. Warrel is doing better during this records slower parts for sure. I havent decided on what I think of the chorus yet though. Its quite catchy and I think it might grow on me.

The Blue Marble And The New Soul - I quite like this. I dont have a problem with the piano at all. If anything Id like it higher in the mix. The bad thing here is that it sounds to my ears like Warrel isnt on pitch around 02:20. Luckily its only for that short time. Otherwise I like this one. Not as good as the other Nevermore albums songs with a similar feel but good enough.

Without morals - Pretty unimaginative verse. Love the guitar riff in the pre-chorus but the chorus doesnt quite hold up. I love the guitar solos in this one though.

The day you build the wall - As said befoe the guitars are dumbed down but it doesnt bother me. I think Warrel does a great job lifting this song. And really this song was written for the vocals to carry it no question about it.

She comes in colours - The melodic guitar work in this one is fantastic. Good riffing once it gets heavy. Im not high on the chorus unfortunately but most things around the chorus I do like. Btw what does "she comes in colours" mean?

The obsidian conspiracy - The riffing here is quite amazing. Again I dont think there is enough originality in Warrels delivery in the verse. The rest of the songs is handeled well though from his part I feel.

Looking back at this quick review (after not enough listens) I feel that the major minuses on this record is the start of it. I could easily live withut all 3 tracks at the beginning. Its really starts the record on a bad note for me. Then comes what might become one of my favorite Nevermore tracks ever in "and the maiden spoke" and after that its some ups and some downs although nothing as bad as the first 3 tracks and nothing even close to "and the maiden spoke".

I came in with high expectations and they werent met unfortunately. Most of the cd isnt bad but I get a feeling of "been there done that" with to much of the material.

I do agree that it sounds like Jeff is holding back a bit, perhaps for Warrels sake. Listening to these songs does make it apparent how the last 2 albums didn't give Warrel much room, but I think Jeff is capable of much more. Although there's been 5 years, it all still sounds a bit rushed. :(

I think the choruses are really good on the whole. Jeff does a good job overall. But there aren't that many jawdropping parts or soloes. Warrel is classic WD, some really memorable hooks and lyrics, longtime fans shouldn't complain about his performance.

Termination proclamation is a bit simple but it works as an intro song and it's the shortest one I think, reminds me of Beyond within..

The day you built the wall brings NM into new territories. I like the build up and the mammoth riffs( although simple)

Your poison throne. Yeah the first rise part sounds a bit weird. But it's alright. I love the sit upon your poison throne part, you little drone(?), make your plans and shift your dreams and smash them all away.

I love Warrels deep spoken parts in Moonrise... and Maiden... ( Iron maaaaaiden spooooke tooo meeeee) Both songs have massive choruses.

Blue marble.. is a great dramatic ballad. Sweet vocal parts at first, love the ascending final part.

Emptiness unobstructed. Has another NM song begun with the chorus? I love the first verse, great singing and lyrics. Very poppy for NM. The chorus gets a little too much in the end.

Without morals. How can one not headbang to the riffs in the beginning?? Good song.

She comes in colours. I love how the metal kicks in gradually to an almighty groovefest. The gallopping riffs in the end are rad. Fine song. The chorus is not that catchy.

Obsidian conspiracy
I expected a little better song after hearing the teaser. The least of NM title tracks. But it's still a good song, cool frantic riffs. Reminds a bit of EOR. Chorus sounds a bit awkward but is catchy...

Grade: 8,5/10

wtf???? what is with the dick sucking for maiden? i thought it was meh, i was like...wow it's over?

yeah pretty much all the way through it and nothing stands out honestly, it DOES seem rather rushed, ezra had a good point there. way to mellow honestly, i kind of wanted to see some fast ass fucking riffage EOR style...and nothing guitar-wise really appeals anymore because we've had a whole solo album with just jeff shredding so we know what to expect :/ gahhh gonna have to give it a lot of listen though

Holding back for Warrel's sake? Get the fuck out of here. If anything this is so great because Jeff isn't being an obnoxious wanking cock sucker. He knows exactly when to let loose and when to focus on solid songwriting.

Also, to that other guy, give Borky some time to grow on you. It's better than Empiricism, it definitely needs some time to sink in. It's a weak album for sure, but Reason, The Stir of Season, For A Thousand Years, and of course My Domain are good tracks. The problem is Lars drowning everything in lifeless hammond organ. He should have used more synth and flutes.